: Renault Clio 2 - Rear Door Lock Problems

cliodiesel
30th September 2005, 05:51 PM
hi to everyone on the site,

Today i have been onto renault U.K (25 mins on hold) about the door locks on the rear doors of their Clio's... I really suspect ther is a safety issue with them! When I bought the car ( a 99' T reg 1.9 diesel) in may this year as a little run-a-round for my wife the off-side-rear door would not open, it was simply DEADLOCKED, everything I tried was nil. I decided to remove the door panel... yes with the door closed it is still possible with not too much hassle. I removed the handle and after about an hour of pulling and prodding about with a mechanic's pick I got the lock to release. The lock didn't look bad after examination but it would not work, I called the local renault dealer who could tell me right off the bat, the price of 120 odd plus vat.. no wait till I check the price or a short pause till he looked it up, just wallop with the price... good parts man him I thought, knows his stuff.I asked him if there were any issues with these locks and he replied "not that I know of". I called back later about a fan belt got the same guy... and you guessed it he had to look it up! A common part like a fan belt... who's kiddin' who. Anyway today while on the phone with renault UK they denied any issues with these locks... yet when you go to a breakers yard like I did, every single clio rear door locks are GONE. I eventually got one and fitted it, great... for a while. My son's friend pushed the button down on the rear near side door one day and the same problem occured!$%"&*^ The guy at the breakers yard (a friend of my dad's) tells me he cannot hold onto these things, as soon as a clio comes in the rear door locks are the first things to go! I told renault today they will hear from me again when I have collected some proof that these locks are indeed a safety issue. God-forbid my wife has the kids in the car one day and has an accident whereas they can only exit through the rear doors... THEY CANNOT GET OUT and EVEN FROM THE OUTSIDE YOU CANNOT OPEN THE DOORS!!! This is to me a safety issue, one which renault need to address!! Please any one out there who has had this problem, will you let me know.
I will not go away. tmerc@<hidden>

selwonk
30th September 2005, 05:54 PM
Hi. I'm going to move this to the general forum and sticky it for a while. I've also changed the title to be more meaningful

Welcome to RenaultForums!

cliodiesel
30th September 2005, 05:59 PM
cheers, response already, no messin' site.
I'm just getting used to navigating around.

Many thanks.

selwonk
30th September 2005, 06:01 PM
I've had a quick search and can't see any mention of this problem. Most of the locking issues seem to be with the alarm system. This is a "sticked" thread so I'll leave it in plain sight for a bit with the hope that you get some more responses...

cliodiesel
30th September 2005, 06:04 PM
thanks again.

afterimage
4th October 2005, 04:22 PM
Just to let you know that I have exactly the same problem with my Clio (98, S reg). Originally the off side rear passenger door would just swing open as the lock mechanism would not close (which is not good when you're driving merrily along). Manually locking the door by pushing down the lock button did the job, but a little too well as now the lock will not open at all! So off with the door trim and after many hours of pulling, pushing, prodding and swearing: nothing. So off I went to my local Renault dealer for advice, to be told that the only way to open the door would be to remove the external door handle and smash the lock mechanism with a hammer!!!!

In all I agree with cliodiesel that this is a matter of concern to know that our cars are susceptable to deadlocking with no means of escape for those in the back seats. It would be interesting to see if other Clio owners have experienced the same problem.

cliodiesel
4th October 2005, 07:41 PM
Sorry to here you have the same problem. I'll bet there are plenty more people this has happened to, they're just not on this forum. The door can be opened if you get the lock in the right place with a mechanic's pick. I've had to do it twice now. The best thing to do is practice on a lock "off the car" I got one at a breakers yard for 20.

jomc
18th June 2007, 08:16 PM
Hi there just to let you know i am having problems with my locks on my car too. It sounds a bit like the same problem, but when i put my key in my lock the mechanism just keeps spinning on both door locks, it will not open nor lock with the key.

MPS
1st July 2007, 01:57 PM

Today i have been onto renault U.K (25 mins on hold) about the door locks on the rear doors of their Clio's... I really suspect ther is a safety issue with them! When I bought the car ( a 99' T reg 1.9 diesel) in may this year as a little run-a-round for my wife the off-side-rear door would not open, it was simply DEADLOCKED, everything I tried was nil. I decided to remove the door panel... yes with the door closed it is still possible with not too much hassle. I removed the handle and after about an hour of pulling and prodding about with a mechanic's pick I got the lock to release. The lock didn't look bad after examination but it would not work, I called the local renault dealer who could tell me right off the bat, the price of 120 odd plus vat.. no wait till I check the price or a short pause till he looked it up, just wallop with the price... good parts man him I thought, knows his stuff.I asked him if there were any issues with these locks and he replied "not that I know of". I called back later about a fan belt got the same guy... and you guessed it he had to look it up! A common part like a fan belt... who's kiddin' who. Anyway today while on the phone with renault UK they denied any issues with these locks... yet when you go to a breakers yard like I did, every single clio rear door locks are GONE. I eventually got one and fitted it, great... for a while. My son's friend pushed the button down on the rear near side door one day and the same problem occured!$%"&*^ The guy at the breakers yard (a friend of my dad's) tells me he cannot hold onto these things, as soon as a clio comes in the rear door locks are the first things to go! I told renault today they will hear from me again when I have collected some proof that these locks are indeed a safety issue. God-forbid my wife has the kids in the car one day and has an accident whereas they can only exit through the rear doors... THEY CANNOT GET OUT and EVEN FROM THE OUTSIDE YOU CANNOT OPEN THE DOORS!!! This is to me a safety issue, one which renault need to address!! Please any one out there who has had this problem, will you let me know.
I have exactly the same problem. Today the door was working one minute - but then it wouyld not unlock at all. The central locking does not unlock it - and you cannot lift the lock tab on the door. Even turning the key in the driver front door does nothing. Basically the door may as well be welded shut. Anybody have any solutions???

jehu
24th August 2007, 12:23 PM
Hi all - I just joined the forum because of this rear door lock problem. Both the rear doors on my wife's clio are jammed shut, and ive tried everything to open them, without success. I've also noticed that all the 4 door clios in scrapyards have their rear locks removed. When I phoned two renault dealers both people quickly said they were unaware of any problem with these locks. I think theyre lying through their teeth.

Help or advice of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

Truckbusuk
24th August 2007, 03:46 PM
Hi Cliodiesel, despite what Renault tell you the Clio2 and other models Megane1 etc, all have similar door lock problems :( ... its an internal spring that breaks ...

Your right they are like the proverbial rocking horse droppings to get in from a breakers, but I'm surprised at the price you were quoted, as they are 84.62 including VAT from Renault before any discount (I know I've just replaced one and got 15% discount :) .)

I'd also be surprised if you get anywhere with RCS as most of the cars with this problem seem to be 1996-2001 (from the posts on this forum) so they are way out of warranty and any problem will be seen as wear and tear.

As a point of interest, when I went to get the part the parts man said "a Clio" when I stated I wanted a rear door latch for ..... so they do know about it .... the date on the parts bag was 5/8/2007 ... so not in stock long ... wonder why :rolleyes:

Hope it helps :)

Truckbusuk
24th August 2007, 03:51 PM
Oops ment to mention, there is a Megane post that explains how to open the door,and has pictures .... useful as the Megane and the CLio share the same locks/latches ... do a search.

hope it helps :)

Truckbusuk
24th August 2007, 04:01 PM
has an accident whereas they can only exit through the rear doors... THEY CANNOT GET OUT and EVEN FROM THE OUTSIDE YOU CANNOT OPEN THE DOORS!!! This is to me a safety issue, one which renault need to address!!

Just re-read this ... Yes cliodiesel I agree with the sentiment, but I'd suggest that if the door locks have failed and you are aware of the fact and you continue to use the car then the onus of responsibility is on you for knowlingly using a car with faulty doors and not Renault.

The car should be repaired before anyone is exposed to any type of risk ... as the driver YOU are the person responsible and should make any judgement call as you see fit .... personally if it was my kids/wife etc they would not be using the car until it was repaired.

cliodiesel
24th August 2007, 04:02 PM
That may be so about prices but remember this was a couple of years ago plus you got a 15% discount... well done.

The lock troubles I had were broken internal "latches" there were no springs broken.

I have since sold the car on (with perfect working door locks):)

Truckbusuk
24th August 2007, 04:13 PM
Hi cliodiesel ... just realised that this is a very old post, with a new update, what was the outcome of your discussions with Renault ?

:)

cliodiesel
24th August 2007, 04:17 PM
Hello, the car WAS repaired,my wife and kids used my VW Passat (which they preffered and now still use). As soon as the problem came to light the car was put off the road until repaired and SOLD.

What if the the problem never arose UNTIL an EMERGENCY occured?

With a "personal" and "judgemental" reply like this, I feel you must be the "RENAULT EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH"

cliodiesel
24th August 2007, 04:38 PM
My end result from Renault... Nil!!!

From a mechanic's point-of-view, Renault U.K are pretty bad with parts identification and prices, just ask any mechanic you know who has dealt with them.

Their cars are pretty cheap to buy but they get you in the parts department.

Timming belt, idler pulleys etc for Clio 1.9 Diesel £125!!

Timming belt, idler pulleys etc for VW Passat £50!!

I rest my case!

P.S Make sure and keep an eye on your Clio bonnet catch!!

This is a fault they've admitted (after a few popped up) once exposed on watchdog!!

jehu
24th August 2007, 05:30 PM
My end result from Renault... Nil!!!

From a mechanic's point-of-view, Renault U.K are pretty bad with parts identification and prices, just ask any mechanic you know who has dealt with them.

Their cars are pretty cheap to buy but they get you in the parts department.

My uncle was a parts manager at a main Renault dealer; he said Renault parts are a nightmare - they use whatever they have at hand, so two identical looking Renaults from the same year can have completely different makes of components. That was a few years ago, but I doubt much has changed.

jehu
28th August 2007, 10:57 PM
I've done some rummaging around a scrapyard today and have found that rear door locks on later Clio1s, Clio2s and earlier Meganes, Lagunas and Scenics are all interchangeable; some have different (or none) white plastic covers but these are easily removed or switched over. The rear door locks on the latest Clios, Lagunas etc have been slightly modified and dont fit earlier versions like the Clio2. Its easy to spot which of the Clio1 locks are different - part of the lock is outside the door frame. I get the impression that compatible locks from earlier models are more reliable, having done a bit of fiddling about with them.

maheshmakwana
7th September 2007, 09:07 PM
Im sorry i dont know how to post a new request, as i am a new user to the site???

I have recently had a fault in which my fuse for the central locking blew. After replacing the fuse...my drivers door and boot central locking no longer work, however my passenger door central locking does.

Additionally my boot is permanently deadlocked in that i cannot use my key to open it. Regardless of whether i use the blip key or the centre console button...my central locking only works on my passenger door. Does anyone firstly know why only the passenger door would work.

Secondly what i could do to get this fixed? Thanking you in advance.

ak47kalam
14th September 2007, 12:00 AM
What the heck is a mechanics pick and where can I get one?
If I can't open the rear doors with this pick, what should I do?

Truckbusuk
14th September 2007, 08:26 AM
What the heck is a mechanics pick and where can I get one?
If I can't open the rear doors with this pick, what should I do?

Hi ak47kalam ... you dont need a "mechanics pick" or any other special tool to unlock the door, all thats required is a 4 or 5 mm flat blade screwdriver about 250mm long (thats what I used) and follow the picture instructions that were posted about a stuck Megane lock, just push the lever as far as possible towards the door skin and the lock will open.

see this ... its a Megane but the principle is the same.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/bodywork/15058-flaming-rear-door-locks-again.html

hope it helps :)

stuart margeson
4th November 2007, 03:18 PM
[hi i have the same problem and still can not get the door to open and yes its a pain as can not fix it and all the scrap yards near me do not have the spare locks please can you let me know what to do to get the doors open thank you stuart http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/images/smilies/steam.gif
:steam:

Truckbusuk
4th November 2007, 04:28 PM
Hello Stuart and welcome ... you've managed to post in the thread, and the post above yours has all a link for all the details you need, read through it, the post is on the Megane, but as I've already posted in this thread the Clio2 and Megane1 locks are the same ... just follow the instructions and all will be well.

You will be lucky to get locks as they are one of the first things to go from a car in the breakers ... so if your need is urgent then the best place to go is the dealer ... and part with your 90 odd quid.

Hope it helps :)

stuart margeson
5th November 2007, 02:06 PM
Hello,
Thanks for your help. I cant find the picture instructions you are talking about - could you help me out??
I called the local renault dealer today and they have said its gona cost me 40 + VAT for 1/2 hours labour to access the problem and the average price for a new lock is 150 + VAT!!!!!!! just before christmas....fantastic! As soon as its fixed the bl**dy car is going up for sale!!!
Stuart

Truckbusuk
5th November 2007, 02:41 PM
hello Stuart the pictures are in that thread .. here it is again

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/bodywork/15058-flaming-rear-door-locks-again.html

you have to remove the door card, remove the anti-theft cover then follow the instructions ... I used a long handled screwdriver (450mm x 5mm head) .... all in it should take you about 2 hrs ... since the first time is always longer.

Dont forget to curse alot and have plenty of elastoplast to cover the cuts you will get.

shadowbroker
27th March 2010, 10:02 PM
hello Stuart the pictures are in that thread .. here it is again

you have to remove the door card, remove the anti-theft cover then follow the instructions ... I used a long handled screwdriver (450mm x 5mm head) .... all in it should take you about 2 hrs ... since the first time is always longer.

Dont forget to curse alot and have plenty of elastoplast to cover the cuts you will get.

Hi, Don't know if you might be thinking "bit late guy", but I have a 1998 ClioII 5door hatchback, and both my rear doors are dead locked. I have clicked on the link you have left to view the megan guide so i can have an idea at what to so, but the link seems to now be dead.

Has the thread with the information been moved to another location or removed for some reason? Really need to view some help on this. :confused:

Also read that if I can get the doors opened somehow then i could use the rear locks from a Renault ClioI version, is this true? also if it is, would i be able to use the front door locks on a ClioI if its only a 2 door version?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

shadowbroker
30th March 2010, 11:28 AM
Hello, is ok now.

I went scrap yard, got two rear locks for 40 in total, smashed the old locks, unscrewed them, installed new locks and good to go.:cool:

Dave_Dog_86
12th January 2011, 02:12 PM
I have the same issue. The rear door on the right hand side is locked. The central locking will lock and unlock the other 3 doors and boot just fine but not the rear right side door. I can't even pull the lock up manually either. Had the problem three times now withthe same door thouh the first two times it seemed to resolve itself after two weeks. But this third time has been happening for near two months.

I do not know how to solve this and don't know how to open the interior with the door shut.

Any help will be appreciated.

jamieclark1991
13th January 2011, 03:47 PM
Not sure if its related but my girlfriend has just bought a clio and some days when she presses her lock button on her keys the doors all make the noise but nothing locks, other days its fine, seems odd as all the lock motors make a noise and seem to be working.

bobbo34
1st March 2011, 08:25 AM
we have the same problem with my wife's y reg clio the rear door behind the driver suddenly locked our mechanic couldnt open the door and he is usually very handy with this sort of problem he phoned an ex renault mechanic who knew all about the problem. It was a common fault he said we would have to break the lock. How we do that i dont know. It is a worry. \what if the other door locks too? dodgy.

nath_stevenson
9th March 2011, 07:18 PM
Hi

I have the same problem with my w reg clio

The car was locked with me and some friends inside and when one of my friends tried to get out of the back by just pulling the handle it appears to have deadlocked the door

the link to the forum about the megane does not work

I have got to the point of removing the anti theft lock but then spent countless hours (as has my father in law) attempting to get the door to unlock with no avail, would really appreciate some help

Raynult
16th March 2011, 03:19 PM
I've just had this issue, with a 2002 megane, it may help you out.

Couldn't open the rear offside door. It may also be good for other Renault models if they use the same door mechanisms.

The reason I couldn't open the door :- Child lock was on, external handle connection broken.

First point of attack, I found it here on the forum, is to release the child lock. You can use what ever comes to hand but I cut the longest side out of a 1 litre plastic milk carton. You need something akin which is fairly flexible, about 40 cm long and 20-30 cm wide.

Now wind down the window of the offending door, and, from the outside, slide you piece of plastic in as far as it goes, starting from just below the window. Once inserted, try the inside door handle, work your way down the door until released. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 goes.

Before you try to repair the external handle, you'll need a 4mm nut and bolt about an inch or so long. The bolt needs to have a fairly low profile head.

Repairing the outside handle: -

Remove the window winder, it should just pull off, you may need to prise it off with a wide blade screwdriver.

Next, remove the screws from the inner door handle, the door grab in the arm rest and the bottom of the door under the storage pouch. You'll need various sizes of torx drivers, allen keys may do.

Don't remove the inner door handle, you may need it if the door gets closed for whatever reason. Just feed it though the door card as you progress.

The door card is held in place with plastic lugs and mastic. You could use a wide blade screwdriver to prise off the plastic lugs, you may need a sharp knife to cut through the mastic.

Once the door card is removed, you then need to remove the outside door handle. There are a couple of holes, possibly covered with grommets on the inside of the door near the locking mechanism. Prise out the grommets, then unscrew the 2 x 10mm flanged nuts holding the door handle on. Pull the handle out, you'll probably have to pull on the catch as if opening the door to get the handle out.

Once out, look carefully at the inside of the handle, at the part which would normally point to the rear of the car, you should see a shoulder with a small hole in it, this is where the connection to the mechanism was.

Handle removed, look at the locking mechanism from the inside of the door, look at the side nearest the outer door panel. You should see what looks like a funny looking screw, about 3 inches long and it's fairly rough hewn, looks like farmer Jones made it one idle moment. It should also be pointing down.

About 2/3's up from the bottom of this screw you should see/feel (you may need to find it with your fingers) an oddly shaped spring steel attachment perhaps with a small rod poking out of one side. Unscrew this clip, all the way down until it comes away from farmer Jones doodad.

You may have to unbolt the locking mechanism just to give you a bit more room to work with.

This is the device which connects the door handle to the locking mechanism. You should see a small plastic rod, looks a bit like a nail with a square head (note the way it is placed in the clip because the bolt has to go in the same way). This is the bitty bob which is supposed to go into the hole in the door handle to complete the connection. Its probably broken at the end and won't stay in place.

Get your 4mm nut and bolt, put the bolt thought the hole in the spring clip, so that the head is inside the clip, just like the plastic rod was, and bolt it to the hole in the door handle. Check that the head isn't too big so as to stop you putting the spring clip back into place.

It may be best not to tighten the nut and bolt up until you've got everything positioned and connected properly.

Bolt the door handle back into place. Then, with one hand holding farmer Jones doodad in place across the mouth of the spring clip (in the correct position), push it into place using a screw driver via one of the bolt access holes in the door.

Check that it works, then re-assemble your car. It took me about 30 seconds to release the child lock, about 3 hours to effect the repair and re-assemble and half an hour to type this lot up. Good luck.

Sarah Packham
24th March 2011, 06:53 PM
I have the same issue. The rear door on the right hand side is locked. The central locking will lock and unlock the other 3 doors and boot just fine but not the rear right side door. I can't even pull the lock up manually either. Had the problem three times now withthe same door thouh the first two times it seemed to resolve itself after two weeks. But this third time has been happening for near two months.

I do not know how to solve this and don't know how to open the interior with the door shut.

Any help will be appreciated.

I have exactly this type of problem too, and I am really fed up of phoning the Renault garage and being told they have not heard of this problem before!

Raynult
24th March 2011, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure if you've got the same problem. It may be that the central locking is at fault here but what I'd suggest is you try the first part of the resolution I posted, especially if you think the child lock could have been on.

Get a fairly long piece of plastic, about 40cm x 20-30 cm, I cut the longest side from a 1 litre milk carton. Wind the window of the offending door down, and from the outside, starting just below the window, slide the plastic sheet in. Once home, try the inner door handle, if it doesn't work the first time, try again, moving down the door the width of the plastic strip at a time, trying the inner door handle each time.

If you get about 2/3's the way down the door and its still locked, its got to be a central locking issue, and to resolve that without opening the door is I'm afraid not something I've dealt with.

If, the door does come open, then its a case of onto the rest of the post to make the repair. Also, while you're at it, check the central locking solenoid is working, you should hear a noise in the door when you engage it. If no, disconnect, clean connections, re-connect and try again. I still no go, a new central locking solenoid will probably be required.

Sorry but that's the best I can manage.

yamaha1
21st April 2011, 01:45 PM
Hi link to this instructions for opening door does not work. Can you repair thanks.

yamaha1
22nd April 2011, 07:27 AM
Found good advice and pictures which i will try
thanks Bodincus. :d

Re: Renault Scenic - Unable To Open Rear Door After Using Child Lock----- Bodincus 1st May 2010 http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 1st May 2010 http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 1st May 2010

Leama
10th July 2011, 06:31 PM

Mines gone! Been gone for 4 years 2002 Clio 1.2, can not be bothered to fix!

Late i know,

nbeedham
14th January 2012, 08:54 AM
Yip, exact same problem on W Reg Clio 1.2 Grande,
I guess it will fail the MOT?? does anyone know if this is the case? I don't use the back seats much but the MOT's due next week!!!