: scenic's heater blower motor not working on position's 1 to 3 (OK on 4)

Andy
16th November 2005, 11:44 PM
I have an S reg/98 scenic 1.6e RT (no air con) .
The blower motor now only works on position '4'.

Have read much online about the resistor pack almost certainly faulty and have been quoted approx 55 inc vat for replacement pack from main dealer (not fitted)

Question is where is it located on this model and what is involved in replacing it myself ?

thanks Andy

Ivor_E_Tower
17th November 2005, 12:39 PM
Off the top of my head, it is behind/below the glove box. Haynes manual is at home and I am at work; will try to "dig it out" tonight when I get back.

geoffcrabtree
8th November 2006, 08:28 PM
Off the top of my head, it is behind/below the glove box. Haynes manual is at home and I am at work; will try to "dig it out" tonight when I get back.
i am also having trouble with my heater on my renault scenic
1,2,3, only on 4 can you remember back in nov 2005 you said you would consult your hayes manual after work where is this resistor is it an easy fix

highlander317
9th November 2006, 05:38 PM
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/lagun...=resistor+pack

try taking a look here ive got the same problem with my laguna 1 phase 2

Barney O
11th November 2006, 04:46 PM
Just had the same problem happen to my '99' Scenic Alize. A few weeks ago I had to take the blower motor out as it had stopped completley. I cleaned up the brushes on the electric motor and it seemed to work fine after that.......but today it stopped and would only work on position 4.
I've just read the link about the Laguna resistor pack and it looks like I've got the same problem.
When I took the blower motor out (despite the Haynes Manuel stating that as I had air con I could not ) I saw the resistor pack tucked up in the blower motor housing (behind the glove box).
Getting the blower motor out was a bit fiddly, I found that the plastic rim of the blower motor housing caught on the lower left hand dash mounting bracket - 2 mins with a hacksaw and I took about 10mm of the edge of the dash mounting bracket (without affecting the dash mounting) and I then had enough room to wriggle the motor blower motor out.
As yet I have not had a good look at how to get the restistor pack out but it sure looks like fun! :o

rlpowell
8th February 2007, 11:16 AM
I suspect that my problem is heater brushes sticking as it either works totally or not at all (alternative days !!:steam: ) Thermal resistor seems to test OK, so my problem is probably not resistor pack.

Can Barney or anyone else give further advice on removal of blower for overhaul / replacement, as from inspection it appears to have poor access. How much of dash needs dis-assembly?

Barney O
8th February 2007, 04:10 PM
Hello Mate,

If your Scenic is the same layout as my 99 with aircon and the blower motor under the left side of the dash, then its reasonably straight forward. First you will have to pull back the thin sponge layer that the motor is above, I recall that there is a small screw holing it in place somewhere!

The blower motor casing is removed by disconnecting the feed cable (the small 2 wire connector held onto the side of the motor casing) then by the undoing the 3 small mounting screws.

I found that I had to undo the left upper and lower dash mounting nuts, this was to allow you to pull the dash away from the screen area about 2cm

This gives you a bit of room to wiggle the blower motor about. I had problems with the lower dash mounting stud and its mounting bracket. I ended up cutting about 10mm of it's side (leaving the stud in tact), this gave me enough room to drop the motor out.

One you have the motor out, it's simply a matter of prising out the metal motor from the plastic casing. Rubber blocks hold it in place with friction only...so it comes out quite nicley!

One out you can get to the brushes and commutator etc, easy to clean, don't know abot replacing the brushes though.

Hope it all goes well and cheaply!!!

rlpowell
8th February 2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for quick reply. Yes mine (year 2000 RXE with aircon) looks very much as yours. Sounds like a job to start early in the day, so tomorrow ....

I'l feed back results of next stage.

Thanks again

Robin

Barney O
8th February 2007, 05:34 PM
It doesn't take that long, probably less than an hour, it only took me 20 mins ...the second time!

I ended up sawing of part of the lower dash stud bracket because I lost patience, it takes a lot of wriggling to get the motor and casing in the right position.

rlpowell
12th February 2007, 05:07 PM
Job done.

Mine came out fairly easily, it was the re-install that had me cussin. Trying to hold the blower motor up whilst putting in the screws against gravity.

Blower not as dirty as Barney described his, but the carbon brushes were tight. Removing brushes involved slight bending of clamping frame (I left brushwires connected), then a good clean and reassembled. Blower is as good as new (well nearly, brushes are maybe 50% worn after 60k miles). No cost except skin from knuckles.

If you blower doesn't work at all or is intermittent, suspect brushgear, 1+2+3 not working but high (4) is OK Barney's thermal resistor repair is for you.

Thanks for advice Barney

Robin

Barney O
14th February 2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks Robin,

It was Ben1400's fantastic resister pack fix that has saved us pound's!

Barney