: Why do dealers pre-register cars?

kleen
30th December 2005, 09:30 AM
Just out of curiosity, was wondering what all this "pre-registering" is about. Now i'm not talking about the type where they pre-register a car that they haven't actually sold. Rather, when you buy a car and find that it has gone through some 3rd party company first.

What happened when I bought by Scenic a year ago, was that the Renault Dealer pre-registered it through a 3rd party company. However, it was registered to ME but at THEIR address. All I had to do was to write to DVLA and request a change of address (to mine), NOT a change of keeper.

Now I was wondering why they do this. Obviously it's down to , but how does it work?

Cheers,

Nick

chrisash32
30th December 2005, 09:41 AM
I asked a dealer the same question.

the guy was honest with me (I think)..

he said, its because they have to meet sales targets.
a car is only classed as a sale once it is registered (even if no money is transferred)

so if dealers are predicted to miss there sales targets they pre-register a couple of cars to build the numbers up.

This was not a Renault dealer, it was a VW. don't know if its for the same reason.

Maybe someone that works for Renault on here could clarify that?

kleen
30th December 2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah, like I said in my original post - I know about that one. But I'm getting at the (different) situation where they *have* sold a new car (Factory order) anyway (so added it to their target), but they still register it (or process it) through another company first. I've seen the phrase "one day registrations", is this what this is? Hows it work?!?!

narrowgauge
30th December 2005, 04:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, was wondering what all this "pre-registering" is about. Now i'm not talking about the type where they pre-register a car that they haven't actually sold. Rather, when you buy a car and find that it has gone through some 3rd party company first.

My 1999 V Laguna Sport was pre-registered in September and a panic sale (1,500 off) in October. When I changed it earlier this year I mentioned the possibility of getting similar to the (Renault) salesman but he said it is not allowed nowadays, he'd never known it in several years with the dealership. I can understand that there could be a tax implication in this but don't know enough about it to understand how it might work. Registering the car to the purchaser at another address sounds rather strange and I can't understand why a dealer might do that. If he knows he's going to sell it to you he might as well use your address. Might it have been a mistake?

nicolidus
30th December 2005, 06:59 PM
As far as I can tell, it's a way for the dealers to do a bit of a tax-dodge. By pre-registering my car as a demo (even though I got it with delivery mileage) the dealer could give me a 5000 saving on list.

kleen
30th December 2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah that sounds about right. I still wonder how it works for them though (i.e. how much do they get by doing it that way, what can they write off against tax etc)