: Need A New Key Cheap Look Here !!!

swfcowl5
23rd February 2008, 05:08 PM
OK SO YOU ONLY HAVE ONE KEY AND YOUR WORRIED THAT MAY PACK UP SOON WELL IF YOU HAVE A KEY LIKE THIS ONE (RF)
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/deadmansfinger/Car/SI850043.jpg
THEN YOUR IN LUCK AS I HAVE HELPED SOMEBODY ELSE ON THIS FORUM ALREADY TO OBTAIN A NEW KEY CHEAP CUT INCLUDING TRANSPONDER FOR ONLY 25 AND WHERE FROM
RENAULT-WRONG
TIMPSON-CORRECT
IM SURE YOU WILL AGREE 25 IS ALO BETTER THAN WHAT RENAULT OFFER
IM POSTING THIS ARTICLE HERE AS IT RELATES TO A FEW MODELS WITH THIS TYPE OF KEY SO OF IN WRONG THREAD PLEASE MOVE THANKS

PICTURE COURTESY OF DEADMANSFINGER
PRICE INCLUDES CUT KEY AND TRANSPONDER

JUST NIP INTO TIMPSON FOR THE NEW KEY HOPE THIS HELPS

andrewces38
12th April 2008, 06:33 PM
Hi
I am o the look out for a spare key but the one in pic looks like the key I need but i could not see a small gap in the tip of the key if it is the right key what do i need to do to buy 1 .
Many thanks Andrew

swfcowl5
12th April 2008, 06:40 PM
Nip Into Timpson If You Have The Above Key

delta1066
13th April 2008, 10:34 AM
I actually got the spare key but I'm in need of the spare blade...

Previous owner of the Questor managed to break the key in the ignition... AA man fitted a 'similar' blade but had to file out the tip to recreate the rectangular hole at the end. The key now has no pointy tip at the end lol. Transponder works fine, but no-one has dared to try the key in the ignition....

Where can I get a spare blade cheap? Local locksmith reckons he can get it, but I'd have to wait for him to order it. Ideally, I'd like to be able to grab one on the day I want it and then down to the locky for cutting... I know thats a tall order but is it possible?

EDIT: Just out of curiousity, how do you get the transponder programmed into a safrane? - Would be nice to have a 3rd key seeing as the electric seat has 3 driver memories...

swfcowl5
13th April 2008, 11:55 AM
only 2 keys allowed at once and timpsons i have found are best for keys mate give them a try u never know

N7Qauto
13th April 2008, 01:58 PM
I need a spare key for my car. The housing matches the one you show in your picture.

Are these keys fully operational keys?

delta1066
13th April 2008, 02:12 PM
Thats weird isn't it! You can only have 2 active keys, yet they stick a seat in which remembers 3 drivers lol.

Good old Renault, always an inspirational bunch...

swfcowl5
13th April 2008, 10:04 PM
they sure are and yes key fully operational

N7Qauto
13th April 2008, 11:01 PM

Ok. Is this possible if the customer is in Ireland?

ponsaloti
14th April 2008, 10:30 PM
We charge 30 for this key and it works all locks and starts car, guarenteed.

N7Qauto
15th April 2008, 02:10 PM

Why are you signing up only to answer the question I posed to another, far better established, member?

ponsaloti
15th April 2008, 06:06 PM
Why are you signing up only to answer the question I posed to another, far better established, member?

Very sorry me old fruit, I was messing about on tinternet last night and must have been in need of sleep (wizzing thru a few forums at the same time ). sorry again.

I will add though, if timpsons say they cant do anything with the key for whatever reason ( usually because chip is crypto), there are A couple of other options that are less expensive than the main stealers and you wont have to wait 8/10 days.

Azurael
15th April 2008, 06:20 PM
I guess they don't do the old IR keys :(

stuzefrenchwheels
18th April 2008, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=delta1066;329221]I actually got the spare key but I'm in need of the spare blade...

Previous owner of the Questor managed to break the key in the ignition... AA man fitted a 'similar' blade but had to file out the tip to recreate the rectangular hole at the end. The key now has no pointy tip at the end lol. Transponder works fine, but no-one has dared to try the key in the ignition....

Where can I get a spare blade cheap?

How about this - it may help? Not sure about Transponder.
Is there one in my Safrane P reg or in later Safs??
I managed to knacker a Clio by swimming with the Transponder in my Trunks on the Corniche at Marseille. cost me a fortune and the hire company had my credit card details so nothing I could do about it! As I understand it a Transponder would not look like this key.

ponsaloti
19th April 2008, 09:29 AM
IF THIS KEY IS USED IN IGN, OWNER WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PUY KEY INTO IGN ONCE REMOVED.

The owner would have to call a locksmith to rectify the problem this key will cause, not good 2 in the morning.

stuzefrenchwheels
19th April 2008, 10:33 AM
IF THIS KEY IS USED IN IGN, OWNER WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PUY KEY INTO IGN ONCE REMOVED.

The owner would have to call a locksmith to rectify the problem this key will cause, not good 2 in the morning.

sorry I don't understand. You sell keys is this right? You have some vested interest?
The key I referred to is not a Transponder key to my knowledge or are you saying it is? As a second key to open the doors or the boot it presumeably will work. My Car locking system does not seem to open the boot. Not got a manual and not had the opportunity to see if this can be corrected but don't necessarily want to switch off car just to be able to open the boot, hence second key - for me that is the reason.

ponsaloti
19th April 2008, 06:03 PM
I am a locksmith and i am saying if you use a renault key with open square hole in the ignition, the next time you go to puy a key in the ignition, it wont go in.
Just a bit of advise and it didnt cost you a penny:)

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 06:37 PM
I am a locksmith and i am saying if you use a renault key with open square hole in the ignition, the next time you go to puy a key in the ignition, it wont go in.

That key looks fine to me, it matches exactly to the shape of mine. Aside from that i would not buy it, but visually it is a match.

I say this because you lack credibility. You seemed to pounce earlier in this thread and you are now disparaging another post in the same thread.

It sounds like sour grapes/personal grudge to me.

Correct me if I am wrong.

delta1066
19th April 2008, 08:26 PM
That key looks fine to me, it matches exactly to the shape of mine. Aside from that i would not buy it, but visually it is a match.

I say this because you lack credibility. You seemed to pounce earlier in this thread and you are now disparaging another post in the same thread.

It sounds like sour grapes/personal grudge to me.

Correct me if I am wrong.

N7QAuto, leave him alone. He's just saved me from destroying my ignition with my spare key.

If you check back a few pages in this topic you will see what I mean. My spare key doesn't have a tip at the end where the rectangular hole is at the end of the key. The previous owner snapped the key in the ignition and the AA had to file a key blade. Unfortunately the blade they used had no rectangular hole so he filed one into it starting from the tip.

Your new found friend (ponsaloti) has done me a great favour and saved me from doing something very stupid!

@<hidden>, thanks for the tip! I'm very grateful.

stuzefrenchwheels
19th April 2008, 08:35 PM
not quite clear where this is going other than heated exchanges.

The key I have shown on ebay is exactly the same as my own key WITH A HOLE in the end AND a tip.

If Posoloti would like to give me the further benefit of his knoweldge (free of charge - again) and explain exactly why the key should ruin my system then I think this will answer the issue for all to understand.

Perhaps the previous wirte did create a problem through the AA using a key which had no tip? Nothing to do with the key I have mentiond. I have purchased one anyway, if onl for my boot lock.

Many thanks and sorry if I've mispelt your Pseudonym as once onto writing a reply you don't see the previous name.

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 09:07 PM
N7QAuto, leave him alone. He's just saved me from destroying my ignition with my spare key.

If you check back a few pages in this topic you will see what I mean. My spare key doesn't have a tip at the end where the rectangular hole is at the end of the key. The previous owner snapped the key in the ignition and the AA had to file a key blade. Unfortunately the blade they used had no rectangular hole so he filed one into it starting from the tip.

Your new found friend (ponsaloti) has done me a great favour and saved me from doing something very stupid!

@<hidden>, thanks for the tip! I'm very grateful.

I'm surprised that you would have even contemplated using a key that was filed by an AA man.

My opinion is unchanged.

delta1066
19th April 2008, 09:07 PM
You still do not understand!

Posoloti was speaking of MY SPARE KEY which has NO TIP but does HAVE THE HOLE.

He was saying that I/ME/DELTA1066 should not use MY spare key in MY ignition or MY ignition will not take a key again.

He wasn't having a bash at any of you guys. He's simply seen my post and replied and unfortunately you guys have got the wrong end of the stick.

Thats all it is.

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 09:08 PM
not quite clear where this is going other than heated exchanges.

The key I have shown on ebay is exactly the same as my own key WITH A HOLE in the end AND a tip.

If Posoloti would like to give me the further benefit of his knoweldge (free of charge - again) and explain exactly why the key should ruin my system then I think this will answer the issue for all to understand.

Perhaps the previous wirte did create a problem through the AA using a key which had no tip? Nothing to do with the key I have mentiond. I have purchased one anyway, if onl for my boot lock.

Many thanks and sorry if I've mispelt your Pseudonym as once onto writing a reply you don't see the previous name.

Seconded.

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 09:12 PM
You still do not understand!

Posoloti was speaking of MY SPARE KEY which has NO TIP but does HAVE THE HOLE.

He was saying that I/ME/DELTA1066 should not use MY spare key in MY ignition or MY ignition will not take a key again.

He wasn't having a bash at any of you guys. He's simply seen my post and replied and unfortunately you guys have got the wrong end of the stick.

Thats all it is.

Where did your spare key come from?

delta1066
19th April 2008, 09:17 PM
You know, you guys are starting to offend me. Seriously.

I dare to mention that my spare key is knackered, Posoloti answers me and tells me not to use it and you guys are pouncing on him!

Ok, I'll admit he could of used '@<hidden>' or something but we are not all perfect and he probably saw my post and just hit reply straight away like many people do.

Does that sound reasonable?

Take away the fact that he is a lockie and you'd probably say yes. Face it, most towns have Timpsons, I don't think Posoloti is a big threat to them. Its nice to have some advice from an independant lockie.

Give the guy a break.

delta1066
19th April 2008, 09:18 PM
Where did your spare key come from?

The previous owner. Who (as I've stated already) had the blade replaced by the AA at the side of the road.

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 09:25 PM
The previous owner. Who (as I've stated already) had the blade replaced by the AA at the side of the road.

Then, I say again, I'm surprised you would have contemplated using that blade. You stated it is not a visual match for your current working blade, it was filed, at the side of the road by an AA man. Then had its top lopped off, "no pointy tip".

I don't know about anyone else, but nothing goes into the ignitions of any of my cars apart from properly cut blades that visually match.

The poster we are exchanging posts about has still got to justify what he has said about the key on eBay, which is what I believe he was referring to.

No need to get the back up.

delta1066
19th April 2008, 10:14 PM
Thats just it, I don't think he was referring to the ebay post. Yes I saw it, but I think it is a coincidence that his reply came after that. If he'd seen my post would you expect him to wait until someone else posts after the ebay post?

My back isn't up. I just dislike people giving new members on this forum a hard time.

This is a very nice forum unlike most which I use. I'd like to see it stay that way without people having a go.

Thats all I am asking. Give the guy a break - from one saffy driver to another!

delta1066
19th April 2008, 10:20 PM
Then, I say again, I'm surprised you would have contemplated using that blade. You stated it is not a visual match for your current working blade, it was filed, at the side of the road by an AA man. .

Actually, the teeth on the blade ARE a match. I also never stated that it was not a visual match. All I said was that the AA man replaced it and had to file the rectangular hole. It simply has the tip missing. Infact, give me a few mins I'll post a pic.

EDIT:

Here is the pic. Top key is my main key. Bottom one is the spare with a replacement blade.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj250/delta1066/Safrane/Keys.jpg
As you can see the replacement blade is cut normally but the tip was taken off to file the rectangular hole into the key. I really cannot beleive I've stooped so low that I'm posting keys of my car to defend some poor soul who was giving me a bit of advice.

delta1066
19th April 2008, 10:36 PM

This reply is clearly in response to MY key. This is nothing to do with the ebay link at all.

You guys have blown this out of all proportion.

I'm going to raise this matter with selwonk now and see if he will modify or remove your attacks.

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 10:51 PM
Actually, the teeth on the blade ARE a match. I also never stated that it was not a visual match. All I said was that the AA man replaced it and had to file the rectangular hole. It simply has the tip missing. Infact, give me a few mins I'll post a pic.

EDIT:

Here is the pic. Top key is my main key. Bottom one is the spare with a replacement blade.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj250/delta1066/Safrane/Keys.jpg
As you can see the replacement blade is cut normally but the tip was taken off to file the rectangular hole into the key. I really cannot beleive I've stooped so low that I'm posting keys of my car to defend some poor soul who was giving me a bit of advice.

I'm sorry, but I stand by my comment more than ever now.

There is no way, even if someone promised to pay for the potential repairs, that I would have ever contemplated sticking that bottom key in my ignition.

It is clearly not a visual match, which you had described - not stated, as you say I claim.

You've really blown this up over nothing.

stuzefrenchwheels
19th April 2008, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=delta1066;329221]I actually got the spare key but I'm in need of the spare blade...

Where can I get a spare blade cheap? Local locksmith reckons he can get it, but I'd have to wait for him to order it. Ideally, I'd like to be able to grab one on the day I want it and then down to the locky for cutting... I know thats a tall order but is it possible?

QUOTE]

I replied to this question. Maybe unwittingly I have assumed the member was referring to the ebay item when he was referring to your own AA key?? Threads can become confused when postings happen simultaneously.
If so, then I will still be interested to know if the ebay key will be OK if for some reason I have to put it into the ignition. I don't think I have been rude in asking for more information. I was trying to be helpful to you in answering your question but recognise I am no authority on keys. I do ask again does anyone know if this is a Transponder key or just a piece of metal with a square hole. I've added a photo of the Corniche and the Cleo I put completely out of action by taking the Transponder for a swim, to hopefully bring a ray of sunshine into the moodset during this bleak midwinter weather!

Pat.w
19th April 2008, 10:57 PM
Just out of interest

When the AA man filed the spare key, how did the previous owner get home?

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 10:57 PM

Ok, to get this thread back on the track it has unnecessarily been derailed from.

To the two posters above, who wants my business? I have stated that I want a spare, fully operational key for my Safrane.

Let me know what you need and whoever convinces me they are legitimate and most competitive, gets the business.

delta1066
19th April 2008, 10:58 PM
There is no way, even if someone promised to pay for the potential repairs, that I would have ever contemplated sticking that bottom key in my ignition.

You've really blown this up over nothing.

1) I never said that I would do so. I simply said that no-one since it had its blade replaced had dared to try it.

2) I've not blown up over anything. It isn't me who is harping on about the locksmith being the bad guy here is it?

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 11:02 PM
I replied to this question. Maybe unwittingly I have assumed the member was referring to the ebay item when he was referring to your own AA key??

I still believe he was referring to the eBay item, there is almost half a day between the two posts.

planmeca
19th April 2008, 11:05 PM
Ok,

Can I bring some sort of normallity back to this thread by throwing in a question from someone who knows NOTHING about keys and locks.

I need a spare key for my wifes Scenic 1997 (IR I think) and I need 2 keys for my Laguna (RF I THink) as they have actually worn out.

They still work but could get water in them from now on.

The flexible part that hides the button has worn through. (Thats what 243,000 Miles does for a keyfob).

Is it possible to buy any old key and transfer the innards of my key to a new one?

Stay cool guys:cool:

delta1066
19th April 2008, 11:06 PM
I actually got the spare key but I'm in need of the spare blade...

I replied to this question.
Until today I hadn't even noticed the ebay link tbh. Even so, coming from greece it won't be with me for days if not a week :( I'd prefer to get a replacement blade sourced and cut the same day ;)

Maybe unwittingly I have assumed the member was referring to the ebay item when he was referring to your own AA key??

Exactly my point ;) I'm glad you can understand what I am trying to show N7Qauto! This locksmith chap seems to be commenting on my key. Fair enough he hasn't addressed me directly by my username but I suppose (like many people online) that he thought we would know what he meant.

Threads can become confused when postings happen simultaneously.

Yep!
If so, then I will still be interested to know if the ebay key will be OK if for some reason I have to put it into the ignition.

I think it should be fine. As I've been saying, the locksmith chap was simply trying to point out that my spare key would knacker my ignition. I don't think he meant anyone elses would suffer from that ebay blade.

I was trying to be helpful to you in answering your question but recognise I am no authority on keys.

Yes I know ;) I appreciated your efforts :)

I do ask again does anyone know if this is a Transponder key or just a piece of metal with a square hole.

From the very first post in this topic, it would appear to be a transponder key. As the locksmith said, if Timpson can't help you out, there are other ways of getting the transponder setup which doesn't involve a long delay.

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 11:06 PM
1) I never said that I would do so. I simply said that no-one since it had its blade replaced had dared to try it.

Yes, but you then stated that the poster in question had saved you from doing serious harm to your car. This means that if you had lost your key, you would have used the one that clearly would not work

2) I've not blown up over anything. It isn't me who is harping on about the locksmith being the bad guy here is it?

I haven't said anything about the locksmith for a few posts now.

Finally, please stop derailing the thread, but feel free to continue to add to it in a constructive manner.

stuzefrenchwheels
19th April 2008, 11:09 PM
I still believe he was referring to the eBay item, there is almost half a day between the two posts.

I did look back after writing the thread and agree with you and don't see that the response was really about the AA key but what the heck someone has to have the last word and I am still hoping that the key man will clarify.

Seems to have gone quiet but then some people have a life unlike me! Doh

delta1066
19th April 2008, 11:11 PM
Yes, but you then stated that the poster in question had saved you from doing serious harm to your car. This means that if you had lost your key, you would have used the one that clearly would not work

Sure if I was DESPERATE, I may of tried to use it. I wasn't intending to try it out for fun though! With my luck I'd be asking for trouble ;)

I haven't said anything about the locksmith for a few posts now.

Ahem:

Finally, please stop derailing the thread, but feel free to continue to add to it in a constructive manner.

Sorry but I'm not the one who was giving a new member a hard time. If I see a new member being given a hard time for no good reason I will not stay quiet and let it continue unchallenged.

Pat.w
19th April 2008, 11:14 PM
Just out of interest

Seems to have been lost

planmeca
19th April 2008, 11:17 PM
Hi Pat,

Can you answer my question as I guess it has been lost in the excitement.

I need a spare key for my wifes Scenic 1997 (IR I think) and I need 2 keys for my Laguna (RF I THink) as they have actually worn out.

The flexible part that hides the button has worn through. (Thats what 243,000 Miles does for a keyfob).

Is it possible to buy any old key and transfer the innards of my key to a new one?

delta1066
19th April 2008, 11:19 PM

That means nothing!

How many times have you posted something and then realised you left something out? - I'm always editing stuff into my posts. (See the one where I show my keys for a start).

Some people don't even realise they can edit their posts. Seriously, I don't think the chap meant any harm.

Even after you went on the offensive with:

he said:
Very sorry me old fruit

Ponsaloti has been nothing but polite and informative really.

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 11:19 PM
Sure if I was DESPERATE, I may of tried to use it. I wasn't intending to try it out for fun though! With my luck I'd be asking for trouble ;)

In other words you would have used it.

Sorry but I'm not the one who was giving a new member a hard time. If I see a new member being given a hard time for no good reason I will not stay quiet and let it continue unchallenged.

That is not your job, there are moderators here to do that. As far as I am concerned I asked a legitimate question. Deal with it.

To help get the thread back on track, will you clear up about the AA key to "Pat w"?

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 11:21 PM
That means nothing!

How many times have you posted something and then realised you left something out? - I'm always editing stuff into my posts. (See the one where I show my keys for a start).

Some people don't even realise they can edit their posts. Seriously, I don't think the chap meant any harm.

Even after you went on the offensive with:

he said:

Ponsaloti has been nothing but polite and informative really.

Move on. Deal with it. Whatever.

Seriously.

selwonk
Hopefully we can all play nicely! stuzefrenchwheels - hopefully you'll get a reply soon...

Going back to the original post, how do Timpsons recode the transponder? I thought only the dealers could do that?

N7Qauto
Just out of interest

Bump!

delta1066
19th April 2008, 11:22 PM
Just out of interest

In truth, I don't know. All I was told was "they managed to get me home eventually". What that means is open to interpretation. Might of meant they towed him or they fixed ignition at the side of the road.

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 11:23 PM
Hi Pat,

Bump x2.

delta1066
19th April 2008, 11:26 PM
In other words you would have used it.

As a last resort if I was desperate then yes, I would of tried it... and probably regretted it.

That is not your job, there are moderators here to do that.

So you admit that I need to defend Ponsaloti from you then?

I think I'm going to give you your own advice - YOU deal with it.

I'm not going to respond to you any more in this topic N7Q. I will of course have our usual friendly discussions with you in other topics but in this one we'll have to disagree and drop it.

Pat.w
In truth, I don't know. All I was told was "they managed to get me home eventually". What that means is open to interpretation. Might of meant they towed him or they fixed ignition at the side of the road.

Just curious:)

Bob925
Jeez :rolleyes: This is a friendly forum chaps (unlike a certain Vauxhall one I could mention...), I think we have a case of crossed wires :)

What/who/are/is Timpsons anyway? The Simpsons far removed cousins?

ottoman
19th April 2008, 11:29 PM
Jeez :rolleyes: This is a friendly forum chaps (unlike a certain Vauxhall one I could mention...), I think we have a case of crossed wires :)

What/who/are/is Timpsons anyway? The Simpsons far removed cousins?

Shoe repair and key cutting service I believe Bob

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 11:30 PM
So you admit that I need to defend Ponsaloti from you then?

As I said, it is the moderators job to do so. That means they will intercede if they feel it is necessary.

I think I'm going to give you your own advice - YOU deal with it.

I'm not having to deal with anything. Once again, please stop derailing the thread.

selwonk
19th April 2008, 11:30 PM
Yep - Timpsons are a load of cobblers!

Pat.w
19th April 2008, 11:31 PM
Hi Pat,

In all honesty I have no idea. I would have thought that you could get a key from a scrappy and swap the case over. In the meantime, cover it with a bit of laytex if you think you may get it wet.

delta1066
Hi Pat,

Easy way to tell the difference... The IR fobs have like a small black bulb looking thing near the key blade. Thats the IR transmitter and doesn't light up or anything. See this pic:
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj250/delta1066/Safrane/IR.jpg

You can see the IR transmitter diode (the bulb looking bit) to the left of the key blade.

RF keys have nothing like this. They have a built in antenna which cannot be seen (and have no need to be seen) as the signal is transmitted through the plastic case.

Hope that helps!

N7Qauto
Hi Pat,

Bump (again).

Pat.w
19th April 2008, 11:32 PM
Yep - Timpsons are a load of cobblers!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sure you don't need em, but you'll get some points for that one:d

delta1066
19th April 2008, 11:34 PM
I would have thought that you could get a key from a scrappy and swap the case over.

Thats the most sensible thing I've read in this topic for the last hour!

Pat.w
19th April 2008, 11:35 PM
Bump (again).

Calm down, I was workin on it:d

selwonk
19th April 2008, 11:36 PM
I take it the case detachs from the blade does it? As with all things, if it does check what Renault would charge for a replacement case. Sometimes stuff like this is pretty cheap at the dealers where you might expect it to be really expensive

planmeca
19th April 2008, 11:36 PM
cheers Delta,

And A qui:yawn: ck message to N7QUATO,

Your bumping the wrong question.

Time for bed said zebbedee

delta1066
19th April 2008, 11:38 PM
cheers Delta,

Glad to be of service ;)

And A qui:yawn: ck message to N7QUATO,

Your bumping the wrong question.

SSSSssssshhhh! Don't you dare tell him he's wrong - He's always right :d :rofl: ;) :p

N7Qauto
19th April 2008, 11:39 PM
Calm down, I was workin on it:d

lol, making sure that the queries were not getting lost in the fog that was been thrown up by others.

@<hidden>, glad you got sorted.

Pat.w
19th April 2008, 11:41 PM
I take it the case detachs from the blade does it? As with all things, if it does check what Renault would charge for a replacement case. Sometimes stuff like this is pretty cheap at the dealers where you might expect it to be really expensive

Oh hang on Wonky, this is Renault were talkin about here:d

I would have thought a stanley knife and a bit of glue or silicone would sort it

Pat.w
19th April 2008, 11:42 PM
lol, making sure that the queries were not getting lost in the fog that was been thrown up by others.

@<hidden>, glad you got sorted.

It was movin a bit quick there for a while:)

stuzefrenchwheels
20th April 2008, 03:40 AM
Easy way to tell the difference... The IR fobs have like a small black bulb looking thing near the key blade. Thats the IR transmitter and doesn't light up or anything. See this pic:
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj250/delta1066/Safrane/IR.jpg

You can see the IR transmitter diode (the bulb looking bit) to the left of the key blade.

RF keys have nothing like this. They have a built in antenna which cannot be seen (and have no need to be seen) as the signal is transmitted through the plastic case.

Hope that helps!

My question remains unanswered but..... The bulb is the device which triggers the unlocking of the car when the key fob is pointed at the sensor. The light in the end does act like a TV Remote. Thing is, when you put a key in the ignition, you don't have to press the button on the key fob. Its surely just the metal key end that meshes with the tumblers and recognises the right key for the right lock. So, with my blank key cut to match my existing key it should start the ignition. or unlock the car if put in the Drivers door. Correct me on this point please Mr Locksmith?

delta1066
20th April 2008, 08:05 AM
If its like my safrane I wouldn't be so sure. My manual does state that the immobiliser won't allow the car to start unless the key is in the ignition where the immobiliser will recognise it.

How it does it I've no idea.. I could only presume that it must communicate with the key in some way... (otherwise the immobiliser is useless right? - people could just hotwire the car)

chris m
20th April 2008, 09:32 AM
With RF keys there is a reciever loop around the ignition barrel. This picks up the transmission code from the key and turns off the immobiliser

stuzefrenchwheels
20th April 2008, 12:32 PM
With RF keys there is a reciever loop around the ignition barrel. This picks up the transmission code from the key and turns off the immobiliser

Aren't Transponder keys steel rods with a cluster on the end. The one I took for a swim certainly was. I don't think there is any ring around the ingition switch for my car , but of course the pattern of the key has to be right to get the ignition to start, which in the case of the AA key was only 95 per cent accurate - end tip being essential I would have thought.

Bob925
20th April 2008, 06:03 PM
My question remains unanswered but..... The bulb is the device which triggers the unlocking of the car when the key fob is pointed at the sensor. The light in the end does act like a TV Remote. Thing is, when you put a key in the ignition, you don't have to press the button on the key fob. Its surely just the metal key end that meshes with the tumblers and recognises the right key for the right lock. So, with my blank key cut to match my existing key it should start the ignition. or unlock the car if put in the Drivers door. Correct me on this point please Mr Locksmith?

On the Megane, which used a IR plip, the act of unlocking the doors disabled the immobiliser. I would guess that if you unlocked with a plip you would be able to start the car without the key, for example by hotwiring, jamming a screwdriver in etc etc. On these cars you lock/unlock the doors to disable the immobiliser, very irritating I often found!

On the RF cars there is as chris says a ring around the ignition barrel that gets the immobiliser disable code or whatever from the key as it is inserted into the ignition barrell. :) Said ring failed on my brothers Clio thus totally disabling the car, thoug the reote locking still worked.

stuzefrenchwheels
20th April 2008, 07:12 PM
On the Megane, which used a IR plip, the act of unlocking the doors disabled the immobiliser. I would guess that if you unlocked with a plip you would be able to start the car without the key, for example by hotwiring, jamming a screwdriver in etc etc. On these cars you lock/unlock the doors to disable the immobiliser, very irritating I often found!

On the RF cars there is as chris says a ring around the ignition barrel that gets the immobiliser disable code or whatever from the key as it is inserted into the ignition barrell. :) Said ring failed on my brothers Clio thus totally disabling the car, thoug the reote locking still worked.

My Mercedes when I got it had an alarm and immobiliser. The guy said he didn't think it worked and used to undo the doors with the key and then start the car. Whats the difference to do this with a Megane or Safrane. I do admit that the Meta security alarm on the Merc may not be the same. Guess if I go outside I can try and cut out more theorising but being called to dinner.

As regards your Brothers Clio, when I swam in the Med with the Transponder to a Clio, I had put it in a sealed polythene bag but it got condensation within the bag. Back to the Car my relief when the Doors unlocked, but my dismay when the engine wouldn't start. The keyfob had no sign of water ingress when the French mechanic arrived and opened it, but he just shrugged his shoulders and hitched it onto a Trailer. Had the worst 200mile drive from Marseille to Frejus on the A8 with a Taxi Driver who looked like Chirac and drove like a lunatic. Not a day I care to remember and very heavy on the wallet.

Bob925
20th April 2008, 09:39 PM
On the Megane at least you could unlock the doors using the key - but that would get you knowhere with the immobiliser. You had] to use the plip to disable the immobiliser or you were going nowhere.

I assume the system is similar on the Safrane - I haven't been near enough one! A daft idea really, and not surprising they switched to the RF system! Though that too has its limitations. My brothers car required no new key, just the "ring" thingy on the ignition barrel AFAIK :)

That long journey in the taxi sounds awful! :crazy:

delta1066
20th April 2008, 11:14 PM
The safrane does have an alarm. You can unlock the boot with the key and open it and the alarm goes straight off!

The driver and passenger doors randomly lock or unlock via key (though it doesn't seem to activate the central locking). Again once you open the door, off goes the alarm.

All in all, rather silly really lol

stuzefrenchwheels
21st April 2008, 10:42 AM
The safrane does have an alarm. You can unlock the boot with the key and open it and the alarm goes straight off!

The driver and passenger doors randomly lock or unlock via key (though it doesn't seem to activate the central locking). Again once you open the door, off goes the alarm.

All in all, rather silly really lol

My remote does not lock the boot when I lock the doors. I can and did open the boot the other night as I couldn't recall if I'd locked it seperately after doing a shop. The car alarm did not go off. The previous owner had dogs and perhaps he disabled the mechanism for some reason? Any way, its a nuisance to me that at present its outside the alarm system. I'll have to discover the problem or I'll keep forgetting to lock the boot and its annoying when trying to hold a trolley on a slope and having to fiddle with the boot.

ponsaloti
23rd April 2008, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuzefrenchwheels

Funny old site this.
Button on the key unlocks the car and /or talks to immobaliser, depending on year and model.
put key into ign and turn to position 1, transponder in key shakes hands with ecu ect.. ect.. car starts.
just a blade will unlock car but not talk to the anti theft systems on the car.
whats the average age on here. As said earlier by not sure who. You do not have to go to dealer for keys (as others can also generate keys even if all are lost) and simpsons are usually dearer and have less experiance than locksmiths.

N7Qauto
25th April 2008, 04:54 PM
Funny old site this.
Button on the key unlocks the car and /or talks to immobaliser, depending on year and model.
put key into ign and turn to position 1, transponder in key shakes hands with ecu ect.. ect.. car starts.
whats the average age on here. As said earlier by not sure who. You do not have to go to dealer for keys (as others can also generate keys even if all are lost) and simpsons are usually dearer and have less experiance than locksmiths.

:confused:

delta1066
25th April 2008, 07:45 PM
In fairness I don't think there is an average age here. There are all ages here on this site all fans or their renault pride-n-joys.

fannihall
29th April 2008, 04:48 PM
Before you go rushing out to get one of these, be aware that the Timpson keys work with the immobiliser only, they don't have the button for the central locking. They say they can get the button keys for 80-90 - ouch!!!

stuzefrenchwheels
29th April 2008, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuzefrenchwheels
My question remains unanswered but...

Funny old site this.
whats the average age on here..

Yup I guess that all makes sense. The key may open the doors but not talk to the immobiliser. When I get the blank i'll have to only use it for my boot.
As to age? - well I'm in my dotage but just returned from five days blistering Sun in the Frejus - south of France so we post war bulge children still know how to party!

fannihall
30th April 2008, 09:04 AM
Likewise, almost retired but not in my dotage and just returned from pretty wet central Portugal where we are doing up a place to finish building the bungalow here. When they are both done, there's the narrowboat to fit out. What's that about overcommitted?

stuzefrenchwheels
5th May 2008, 11:21 AM
Likewise, almost retired but not in my dotage and just returned from pretty wet central Portugal where we are doing up a place to finish building the bungalow here. When they are both done, there's the narrowboat to fit out. What's that about overcommitted?

Over committed, and in my case over ambitious. Bought an acre plot in the Charente which I'll have to mow, and a house in the area which needs some heavy work. When will I get the time? and since buying, have had a return bout of sciatica which the MRI scans tells me that i'm not going to be doing anything heavy from now on. So, its trying to sell the unfinished Boat (which has been an utter waste of money over the years) and the VFR 750 FJ is up on ebay as its just too heavy for me to dare to ride again. at 486 lb.

I did get a key blank (which this thread is supposed to be about) and whether it is of any use I guess will depend on if it can be matched when cutting, that is if my existing keyfob will fit into the machine without dismantling?

essex5
8th May 2008, 01:01 PM
i have lost keys ..i have ignition number and can get a key cut i can buy fob of ebay but am told gotta get it recoded for my car is this posilble ???

ponsaloti
12th May 2008, 09:59 PM
i have lost keys ..i have ignition number and can get a key cut i can buy fob of ebay but am told gotta get it recoded for my car is this posilble ???

A locksmith can cut a key to code, which means he dos'nt need to copy a key, you tell him what model, year and key cut code. He can send it thru the post.
You can buy a fob from e-bay, but alot of keys and remotes are seconds/crap , wrong dimensions (keys) and wrong frequencies (remotes).
You can get the remote to work your doors ect, if
A..the car was ment to have the remote you have
B..your wiring to doors and boot is good
C.. remote is sending out the correct signal (e-bay)

You still need to teach the chip in the key to the car, wont start otherwise.

give me a call and I'll talk you thru it.

essex5
13th May 2008, 04:55 PM
thanks for getting back to me ..i have bought a fob or ebay listed as renault megane coupe it will be here in bout a week...i have found a bloke who is cutting me a key from the ignition number i gave him cost 10 should get by end of week be great if i could call you and get instructions on how to recode fob to work my ignition desperate to get car back on road just dont want to pay renault 135 plus agro of getting car to my dealer at the cost of another 75 ..do you think its possible to recode the fob if the fob is in good working order as advertised
cheers kev

yellowduke
31st May 2008, 05:23 PM
I am a bit confused by all this key talk! I only have the one key for my Scenic and would like to get another, preferably without the hassle and expense of a Renault dealer. Is it actually possible to get a fully functioning replacement key without going to a dealer? Or is it only possible to get one to operate the central locking and then you have to input the immobiliser code manually?

Thanks,

Jim

caveman
4th January 2009, 02:24 PM
3d group are also a good place to get them from

greavey
5th January 2009, 02:18 AM
copied and pasted from ebay

Please be aware that Key CARDS require dealer attention!

CLIO II, KANGOO & MASTER INFRA RED RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
2. Press the central door locking buttonin the car for more than 5 seconds.
Note :the door should lock then unlock.
3. When this happens, 10 seconds is allowed for the rest of the procedure and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate not flash, illuminate.
4. Point the 1st key at the receiver and press the button twice, the doors should then lock and unlock. Repeat this for other remotes as required.
5. Check that the remote control unlocks and locks the doors.
LAGUNA II & SAFRANE II INFRA RED RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
2. Press the central door locking button for more than 5 seconds.
Note : the door should lock then unlock.
3. When this happens, 15 seconds is allowed for the rest of the procedure and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate not flash, illuminate.
4. Point the 1st key at the receiver and press the button once, the doors should lock and unlock.
5. Point the 2nd key (if programming a 2nd key) at the receiver and press the button once, the doors should lock and unlock.
6. Check that the remote control unlocks and locks the doors.
CLIO II, KANGOO & MASTER RF RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
3. When this happens, 10 seconds is allowed for the rest of the procedure and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate not flash, illuminate.
4. Press the remote control once, the doors should lock and unlock.
5. Repeat for second remote if required.
LAGUNA II & SAFRANE II RF RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
3. When this happens, 15 seconds is allowed for the rest of the procedure and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate not flash, illuminate.
4. Press the remote control once, the doors should lock and unlock.
5. Press the 2nd remote control once (if programming a 2nd key), the doors should then lock and unlock.
CLIO RE-SYNCHRONISING
1. Lock car manually
2. Unlock car manually
3. Insert key into ignition within 30 seconds.
4. Turn ignition and start vehicle.
MEGANE RF RESYNCHRONISING
Hold the remote control button down for longer than 10 seconds (until the red telltale light on the key extinguishes) then press it again 3 times.
Check that the doors lock and unlock correctly.
MEGANE WITH EARLY REMOTE (LED SWITCHES OFF WHEN HOLDING
BUTTON DEPRESSED)
1. Ignition ON
2. Press and hold the central locking button for 5 seconds
3. LED on the dash board will go off, come back on and begin to flash. The flashes correspond to the first digit of the 4 PIN security code - release the button when the first digit has been 'flashed' and then press the button again.
4. Wait for the second digit to be 'flashed' then release and re-press the button - continue until all digits have been entered.
5. If you have entered the code correctly the LED will then go out and the car can be started - to code the remote, switch off the ignition and press the central locking button again.
6. Press remote button 2 times within the immediate vicinity of the pick up (in the roof) On some vehicles you may need to switch the ignition back on to achieve this however.

greavey
5th January 2009, 02:20 AM
Am I right in thinking that if i buy a new RF key like this from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-Laguna-Clio-1-Button-RF-Key--+-New-Blade_W0QQitemZ190277685200QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090103?IMSfp=TL090103121002r4590

will it work to turn immobiliser off and open doors

Jonlucpicard
13th January 2009, 03:18 PM
I too need a spare key for my 2001 Scenic, this thread is very confusing :confused:
I phoned Timpsons and they said they don't do keys for my car.
So if i buy a key off ebay how do i get it to unlock the doors and start the car?
Cheers
Jon

Zakalwe
2nd December 2013, 05:00 PM
Just for information for other members, I have just had a spare key for my Clio II cut by Timpsons for 50. They said they could cut spares like this if you can unlock and open a door with your existing key without the alarm going off. If the alarm sounds when you try this, they can't help.

Please note - this key does not have a remote button to operate the central locking - it can only be used to manually unlock a door but it will (and does) start the car. As a spare key only that's fine by me, may not suit everyone but it's a lot cheaper than Renault....

I have no connection to Timpsons - other locksmiths may offer similar services, thanks.