: Rear Brakes Sticking On

JASPA
9th March 2008, 11:21 AM
Hi. I am having problems with mi rear brakes sticking on my 1.9 DCI Laguna II

I have changed the pads and the discs are ok - it seems to just be the drivers side that is sticking - I managed to release it with a lump hammer yesterday and so far (fingers crossed) they are not sticking, they are still catching though and I think if I brake hard or use the handbrake on full they will stick on - any ideas ?

there dosnt seem to be any boots / dust covers on the pistons - is this normal or is this the problem - many thanks.

madnoel10
9th March 2008, 01:27 PM
Sounds like a sticky caliper piston or possibly a lazy handbrake cable. Yes the pistons should have boots otherwise the water will get in and cause the piston to seize.:)
Sadly repair kits are no longer available as far as I am aware

JASPA
9th March 2008, 01:42 PM
many thanks - do you recon the answer would have to be a set of calipers then ?

Eeeps
9th March 2008, 03:51 PM
many thanks - do you recon the answer would have to be a set of calipers then ?

I echo the post by Madnoel10. The dust boot must be fitted or you'll get these problems. You may be able to get the boots from a breakers but check to condition of the piston first.

Is the boot missing on both sides? I'd check the fronts too.

Ian

madnoel10
9th March 2008, 04:27 PM
Once the pistons get corroded there is always the liklihood of probs in the future. After-market recon units are available from most motor factors:)
Remember brakes are your best friends - you miss them most when they ain't there

JASPA
10th March 2008, 03:49 PM
thanks guys, I've just been quoted 20 per caliper from a brakers yard - seems a good price if they work, or should I steer clear of second hand ?

madnoel10
10th March 2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Jaspa - I can understand your attempt to save money but from a safety viewpoint is it worth the chance. The other difficulty in buying from a scrappie is you don't know how long the donor vehicle has been lying around and the calipers could be sized as well. It's not just the piston part can seize but also the inner handbrake mechanism.
I appreciate new or recon units ain't cheap but for your safety and the safety of others - is the risk worth it?:)

JASPA
10th March 2008, 08:36 PM
Very good point not worth the risk !! - are recons ok or am I best going for brand spanking?

madnoel10
11th March 2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Jaspa - I have used recon calipers over the years and to date have had no problems. They are usually around half the price of new ones.:)

dvaebucky
12th April 2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Guys,
I have just got to bare metal and thought I should change the rear pads (165000 miles after all) I can't seem to get the pistons back into the housing far enough to insert new pads. Any ideas pleas?

Dave

madnoel10
13th April 2008, 11:09 AM
The rear caliper pistons need to be turned (clockwise if my memory serves me right) as the are pressed in - otherwise if you force them you can cause damage. When doing the rear pads it is necessary to release the handbrake adjustment and release the cables from their conections at the caliper.:)
There is a special tool for the job but I have heard of people using a pair of pointy nosed pliers to turn the piston.
See attached link for sample of tool or do a Google for "caliper wind back tool":)

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-2-4575-27852-draper-caliper-wind-back-tool.asp