: Renault Espace - Alarm/Immobiliser

nverona
25th May 2008, 02:58 PM
HOW DO YOU RESET THE IMMOBILISER?

I've got a friends Espace 1998 2.2 DT in my garage. I've replaced the head gasket (and belts and filters).

I cannot bleed the injectors. There is no fuel coming up to the injectors. I'm sure it's an immobiliser problem. I've been told on here that the red light on the roof console should be out. It will not go out.

The key has fairly new batteries and the led glows when it's pressed. But it does not open the doors (or lock them). If the brake pedal is pressed the light will go out but comes back on after about 30 seconds.

I've checked the fuses and all seems OK (trying to follow the handbook which says it's a 25 amp fuse.)

This is a French registered car in France and my French isn't that good to fully understand the manual. However the only page we can find with the alarm is about replacing a lost key.

So, my question is: How do I reset the alarm/immobiliser in order to bleed the injectors and get rid of this thing.

Or do I just set fire to it?

Donald
25th May 2008, 10:26 PM
Hi iam not sure but there is a procedure have a search of the forums search facility and iam sure you will find help with regards to this,if i find it myself i will pop a link up on this thread for you, i hope this helps Donald

nverona
26th May 2008, 08:21 AM
Donald, I have read all 38 pages (speed read, so I may have missed it) on the sticky above.

I'm sure the problem is due to having the battery off the vehicle for 3 weeks.

Donald
26th May 2008, 06:31 PM
Hi here is a link its not an espace but another model Clio i think its not going to be much help but have a read of this because this sounds very like your problem and i think you are going to be contacting the dealer:( but iam still convinced there is a procedure for this but for the life of me i can't find it iam sorry

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19287&highlight=sync+key+battery+disconnected

Hope this helps all the best Donald

nverona
26th May 2008, 06:50 PM
Donald, Many thanks, that sounds like the problem. So if you disconnect the battery for more than a week it loses the transmitter code sequence.

Looks like I'll have to go to the dealer. At least it's in France so shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks again.

clio141
26th May 2008, 07:06 PM
daft question but when you had the head off did you turn the crank over to check the bores?

Donald
26th May 2008, 07:10 PM
Donald, Many thanks, that sounds like the problem. So if you disconnect the battery for more than a week it loses the transmitter code sequence.

Looks like I'll have to go to the dealer. At least it's in France so shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks again.

Hi no problem please keep us updated to what the outcome is cheers all the best good luck Donald

nverona
26th May 2008, 07:35 PM
Clio121, I really can't remember but probably did. I got the engine out and head off in a day or so. Then waited for a friend who was coming over for a week to bring me an angle gauge (cheaper in the UK). The didn't work on it for a week whilst they were here. Thenput the engine back together and stopped for another week as we had other friends. Then put engine back and now have the problem that it won't bleed as there is no fuel.

OK, all that long winded explanation. Can I ask why you ask?

mr espace
26th May 2008, 07:40 PM
my first espace i had the battery disconected for at least a month when i refitted engine imobiliser light stayed on so donald could well be right

I just bypassed the imobiliser on the pump !!

The car i have now had its battery disconected too for at least 2 weeks but it was fine when reconected :)

nverona
26th May 2008, 07:47 PM
Evening Mr Espace. I was thinking of that, I assume it's the plug to the rear of the pump and forward facing. I'll see if I can get the plug off and see whats live and "reverse" it to get the valve open.

But I think it's more than that as the rf key does nothing. When the key is put into the ignition and taken out it plays a short tune. The warning light is on and constant. However it will not operate the central locking. Also notice that if brake pedal pressed the alarm light goes out. And tonight I've noticed that some of the warning lights are faintly glowing if the key is in. So faint you wouldn't notice in daylight (it's very dark and raining here at the moment).

Last time I volunteer :)

clio141
26th May 2008, 07:49 PM
as you well know the bottom end is gear driven, a lad at work took a head off a master van ambulance and then went on holiday so i ended up getting it, because he had turned the engine over, unknown to me at the time, even though the engine was sat at TDC it puts the injection pump timing out, that may be your problem, and its also possible to get the camshafts 180degrees out as the camshaft locking tool will fit over the cam cutouts both ways although you cant get that wrong if you put the bolt in properly rather than just sloting them over. I doubt you have done this as you may not have had the proper renault locking tools? Anyway when i went to start it there was nothing there, pleanty of pump pressure but firing at the wrong time, then the penny eventually dropped. you can check the pump timing by removing the cap over the pump housing and making sure the pick up flag on the gear it just before the camshaft sensor when set at tdc. Its still possible its lost the transmitter code though!

nverona
26th May 2008, 07:58 PM
Mr Clio, Sorry wrong engine. I spent quite some time (on here) establishing that this is a G8T 2.2 turbo. It has a single camshaft driving 12 valves and the whole lot is driven by a belt. The cam timing is a nick that lines up with a pointer on the camcover. The pump has a painted mark which line up with another paint mark on the front cover and the crank has a plug to fit a lockpeg into.

When I got the belt on and tensioned I double checked that it was all at TDC (No 1 being nearest the flywheel)

The pump is pumping as I've seen a few bubbles from the top outlet pipe from the pump. But they've now stopped. I've tried bleeding from the pump end but there is no fuel.

Many thanks

clio141
26th May 2008, 08:10 PM
yeh sorry im thinking of g9t or g9u engines. I know their critical on pump timing though ive done them before. Nice job eh, noisey lump!

mr espace
26th May 2008, 08:11 PM
You cant Feed the immobiliser a power line as it is electronic at the pump end
You need to destroy it !!

your description has me wondering if one of your earths is bad

the immobiliser works seperately from the central locking so the plip not working should not affect it

BUT it will affect the alarm

Have you looked at the infra red output from the fob is it transmitting ok
the red light is not enough to tell you it works look at it through a camera as these see infra red light that we cannot

nverona
8th June 2008, 04:16 PM
OK, 1998 Espace with the 2.2 12valve diesel engine.

battery had been off 3 weeks whilst head gasket was renewed.

Now alarm/immobiliser will not reset.

I have the CAD emergency code and the door lock code from the local dealer (in France).

He tells me to hold the central locking switch down for 5 seconds and the alarm light will start to flash. It doesn't - it stays on constantly,

So, I continue and read all 200 (well it feels like 200) postings on the stickies about alarms.

Best I can find is.

1) hold throttle full open.
2) enter first digit of code by pressing the end of wiper stalk
3) release throttle and repress
4) enter 2nd digit and continue process until all 4 entered.

OK, but the light is still on constantly

All I'm trying to do is to bleed the injectors, get the engine running and send it back to our friends (they won't be for much longer!!).

So, what do I do - set fire to it? :steam:

Thnak you.

mr espace
8th June 2008, 09:51 PM
are all the wires back on at the pump and around the filter housing etc

The light should go out when ignition is on as in previous thread

does the alarm not work at-all ?

nverona
8th June 2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, the multiplugs are on the pump and the filter housing. I didn't remove all the plugs, just took the loom out still on the engine.

Is it possible that one has a bad connection?

many thanks.

nverona
10th June 2008, 07:49 PM
OK, so I'll set fire to it. Anyone fancy a bonfire party in France?

BUT.... before we do that.....

Can someone confirm that the procedure I'm using is correct.

This will help me as then I know I have something else to look for.