: Renault Scenic 1 - Not Turning Over*FIXED*

Odyssey
22nd August 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi all - My daughter's 1.6 '98 scenic (8v) has suddenly refused to start, worked fine last night, nothing left on. Battery OK, headlamps are bright. Turn ignition on and fuel pump runs, but no click - nothing. 12.9 volts at the main pos lead from the thermal fuse under the bonnet, bump starts quite happily.

I'm thinking solenoid or starter motor, but I'm not familiar with the electronics on Renaults so wondered if there's a fuse or relay somewhere that might be loose/faulty.

Searched the forum and have some ideas, going to check earth straps and various connections next.

They've picked the most awkward place to hide the starter, obviously it's an underneath job to remove it - is it straightforward or do you need to drop the exhaust/remove the gearbox/take the seats out :o to get the starter out . . .

TIA

ottoman
22nd August 2008, 12:00 PM
Yep earth leads/connections a good place to start.

Odyssey
22nd August 2008, 12:32 PM
All connections at top of engine clean & tight, 3 ohms resistance across earth strap.

going to grovel underneath . . .

Lagdti
22nd August 2008, 12:38 PM
I'd check the smaller of the two wires that run to the starter motor.You should have 12 volts running to it when the ignition key is turned to the start position.If you do,then your looking at a poor connection between it and the starter or a faulty starter.

If you don't,then it's time to check the wire back to the ignition switch and see where the feed dissapears to.

Corroded connections on the starter are quite common,so I suspect it's that to be honest.:)

Odyssey
22nd August 2008, 01:06 PM
Found It! The spade connector (white wire) on the solenoid had come off. (you were very close lagtdi)

Cleaned, tightened & replaced, now starts fine.

Thanks both for your input.

ottoman
22nd August 2008, 01:22 PM
Found It! The spade connector (white wire) on the solenoid had come off. (you were very close lagtdi)

Cleaned, tightened & replaced, now starts fine.

Thanks both for your input.

Glad you got it sorted Odyssey and thanks for keeping us updated.

Happy Motoring :)

Lagdti
22nd August 2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the update Odyssey,thread now moved to the Articles Section for future reference.:)