: Changing headlight bulb in Megane II

slinknet
4th January 2009, 03:42 PM
It's Winter and this time of year a front bulb always seems to blow! I've just spent two hours replacing the offside dipped bulb. Thinking about it now it should have been a five minute job if I had just followed some simple rules.

1) The access to the headlights are in the wheel arches, so first thig to do is turn the wheel into the wheelarch so you have just enough space to take off the cover.

2) This is where you have to work blind as you only have enough room for your arm. Reach into the hole and feel for the large circular cap that covers the back of the bulb holder. It takes a quarter turn (anticlockwise) to come off.

3) Remove the electric connector block that is pushed onto the bulb terminals, and put to one side.

4) The bulb is held in place by a strange W shape spring clip. Try not to remove the whole clip. It is held in place by two circular rings at the base, and clips into a small notch at the top of the mounting. It has two arms that apply pressure to the baseplate of the bulb thereby holding it in place. By moving the top of the clip towards you, it will clear the holding notch and then drop down (still being held in place in the two rings at the bottom).

5) The bulb can how be removed and a new one put in it's place. There is a cut out in the bulbs base plate so that it can seat correctly in the headlight. Once this is in, you need to pull up the clip and then try and catch the top of the clip back in the notch by pulling it slightly towards you and then pushing it forwards to clip in.

6) Push on the electric connector block. An idea at this point is to test the light to see if the connector is on correctly, and that the bulb works.

Replace the plastic circular back of the bulb unit to seal it and you can then refit the wheel arch cover plate.

Step 4 and 5 are the trickiest. Not the easiest thing to do, not sure why Renault couldn't have made it a bit easier, but at least the job can be done without removing whells, bumpers etc that I've seen on other web sites.

davesss
4th January 2009, 05:46 PM
Good helpful post slinknet:)

madnoel10
4th January 2009, 06:03 PM
I used the same principle to change the dipped bulb on my neighbours Lag II. To make life a bit easier I used a small mirrror and torch.
I spent more time trying to retrieve the clip he had dropped down the back of the headlamp - but was able to retrieve it using my trusty remote retriever claw tool:)

Jonault
8th January 2009, 07:14 PM
I've just changed the n/s dipped bulb (55W H7) on my 1.4 Megane II. Fortunately, the 1.4 allows access from under the bonnet so that it only takes 10 minutes. I think all the rest of the range have a broad covering panel that runs across the top of the front grill and curves around to the suspension top mounts. It's a pity that Renault didn't put a bit more thought into the design to be able to allow easy access to parts that need changing every so often.

abou27
8th January 2009, 09:49 PM
By moving the top of the clip towards you, it will clear the holding notch and then drop down (still being held in place in the two rings at the bottom).

In my experience (from my Megane days), I found that moving the top of the spring to the right rather than trying to pull towards me released it very quickly. My first attempt took about 45 mins; I can now be confident of doing it in two.

It is quite psychological because you hear how hard it is and you kind of panic because your hand gets claustrophobia but once you crack it, it's quite striaght forward (you won't believe it until you've done it, though:d)

So,
'Remove the power connection to the bulb, on the top right of the bulb, push the top of spring upwards and then slightly to the right, it will fall down, remove bulb, replace bulb, fold spring back up and push so that it locks again and, finally, replace connector!'
(If this seems familiar, it's a contribution I made to another forum that is copied in their FAQs section)

monty77
4th September 2009, 06:56 PM
Sorry to drag this thread up but I'm trying to change the nearside bulb on a Megane II at the moment, with little success.

I'm through the wheel arch, I've removed the plug connector but I'm damned if I can find let alone remove the clip that everyone talks about. There just doesn't seem to be anything there, although the bulb seems very secure in it's location.

I took a photo, attached, any ideas people? Is there a 2nd design out there? If so how do I remove this bulb?

Thanks!!
Monty

hondo
4th September 2009, 08:58 PM
Listen I know nothing, but if you push that spring clip outwards (arrowed in pic) will it come out then

Just a wonder :) I've never done one but might have to someday :d

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/_User-folders/vBulletinImg/2009/9/{3E8989B1-2387-422F-8E60-4400DD1D991D}.jpeg

monty77
5th September 2009, 08:32 AM
Listen I know nothing, but if you push that spring clip outwards (arrowed in pic) will it come out then

Just a wonder :) I've never done one but might have to someday :d

I'll give it another go but I already tried that, main problem is not being able to see a damn thing you're doing! :)

Cheers,
Monty

hondo
6th September 2009, 11:08 PM
monty77 after making the picture brighter I've just noticed there's one of those clippy things on both sides. :o

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/_User-folders/vBulletinImg/2009/9/{B7FE19D4-CAAD-4C19-92D2-FDA69424ACCD}.jpeg

Mickb
1st November 2009, 10:35 AM
Hi, I have just managed to change the nearside dipped headlight bulb on me wifes megane.
I found a couple of things that made life easier and thought I would share them.
The only way to access the bulb is through the access panel in the wheel arch.
However because my arm does not bend in 5 places it was much easier to access the headlight once I had removed the wheel.
I also found that simply pulling the bulb out of the connector was difficult as the wire was only about 3 inches long and since I could only get one hand in could not hold the connector and remove the old bulb as it was a bit stuck having been there for the last 4 years.
To get around this I removed the small plastic cover above the headight in the engine bay just in front of the battery which gave just enough space the poke the old bulb though with one hand in the wheel arch access panel and use my other hand to pull the old bulb out.
This also helped in fitting the new one as I simply pushed the new bulb onto the connector I now had access to from the engine bay and was able to put it all back without touching the bulb glass as the instructions always say.

It did take me a while to do but once the wheel was off and the plastic cover in the engine bay removed, life was a lot easier.

By the way if the clip that holds the bulb in place falls off don't worry, it simply falls to the bottom of the bumper which can be eased apart enough for it to fall onto the ground.

Hope this helps someone.

bpalmf
16th November 2009, 06:14 PM
I managed to lose one of the rear caps from my megane. Any ideas where I can buy one??

thanks

westie666
11th January 2010, 09:26 AM
I have found removeing the front bumper and taking the headlight unit out a lot easier!
I have big hands and the first time I tried to do it from under the wheel arch I ended up with all kinds of cuts.

Takes be about 1hr 15 mins to complete.

G

Doug Sinnott
12th January 2010, 04:13 PM
It's Winter and this time of year a front bulb always seems to blow! I've just spent two hours replacing the offside dipped bulb. Thinking about it now it should have been a five minute job if I had just followed some simple rules.

1) The access to the headlights are in the wheel arches, so first thig to do is turn the wheel into the wheelarch so you have just enough space to take off the cover.

2) This is where you have to work blind as you only have enough room for your arm. Reach into the hole and feel for the large circular cap that covers the back of the bulb holder. It takes a quarter turn (anticlockwise) to come off.

3) Remove the electric connector block that is pushed onto the bulb terminals, and put to one side.

4) The bulb is held in place by a strange W shape spring clip. Try not to remove the whole clip. It is held in place by two circular rings at the base, and clips into a small notch at the top of the mounting. It has two arms that apply pressure to the baseplate of the bulb thereby holding it in place. By moving the top of the clip towards you, it will clear the holding notch and then drop down (still being held in place in the two rings at the bottom).

5) The bulb can how be removed and a new one put in it's place. There is a cut out in the bulbs base plate so that it can seat correctly in the headlight. Once this is in, you need to pull up the clip and then try and catch the top of the clip back in the notch by pulling it slightly towards you and then pushing it forwards to clip in.

6) Push on the electric connector block. An idea at this point is to test the light to see if the connector is on correctly, and that the bulb works.

Replace the plastic circular back of the bulb unit to seal it and you can then refit the wheel arch cover plate.

Step 4 and 5 are the trickiest. Not the easiest thing to do, not sure why Renault couldn't have made it a bit easier, but at least the job can be done without removing whells, bumpers etc that I've seen on other web sites.

Why bother with all that?
When my side indicator bulb went,I got out my Haynes manual,followed their instructions,but even with the front wheel,and wheel arch protector removed,I just couldn't get the bulb out!No room for my clubby fingers!
In desperation,I went on the Internet,for further help,and was informed Halfords would do it for 3.99,plus the cost of a packet of replacement indicator bulbs@<hidden>
I checked with my local Halfords,"No problem" they told me,so I took the car there,and they changed it in about 15 minutes!"Its a bit awkward this one",otherwise job done!
So now you know where to go next time!
Apparently Renault remove the front bumber,etc.,and charge you accordingly,so beware!]

Doug Sinnott
12th January 2010, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=slinknet;456017]It's Winter and this time of year a front bulb always seems to blow! I've just spent two hours replacing the offside dipped bulb. Thinking about it now it should have been a five minute job if I had just followed some simple rules.

Step 4 and 5 are the trickiest. Not the easiest thing to do, not sure why Renault couldn't have made it a bit easier, but at least the job can be done without removing whells, bumpers etc that I've seen on other web sites

TAKE IT TO HALFORDS!
I have Renault Megane 2,and the front indicator bulb went out.
After much struggling,and following my Haynes manual, I took it to my local Halfords Superstore,who did the job for 3.99,plus the cost of the bulbs!
15 minutes later,the job was done!
It's just not worth struggling!

dieselauto
18th January 2010, 10:45 AM
A tip, don't do what I did and take the route of removing and putting back the bulb with the connector already on it then spend hours trying to get the spring around the whole assembly. Follow the route connector off, spring off, bulb out then bulb in, spring on, connector on and it is not too bad a job. Whilst there, anyone got any idea on the main beam bulb, whilst mine are ok was baffled on how that will every be changed. A few hours to change a bulb, talk of bumpers off etc, what a design! Like others think Halfords for a few pounds is the way to go.

IainMcDade
18th January 2010, 11:17 AM
Meganes are a nightmare lol
I used to work in halfords part time and often had to do the bulb fittings, theyre are really difficult on meganes. Especially because sometimes people tried themselves before paying for fitting and had lost the clip or cover :( took u longer to find them than to fit the bulb lol
But the more times you do it the easier it does become so i would recommend taking it to a halfords as they should be used to it, just don't take it to renault for them to charge 80 for each bulb changed :jawdropping: shocking prices imo

Telfordsteve
17th February 2010, 04:59 PM
Why bother with all that?
When my side indicator bulb went,I got out my Haynes manual,followed their instructions,but even with the front wheel,and wheel arch protector removed,I just couldn't get the bulb out!No room for my clubby fingers!
In desperation,I went on the Internet,for further help,and was informed Halfords would do it for 3.99,plus the cost of a packet of replacement indicator bulbs@<hidden>
I checked with my local Halfords,"No problem" they told me,so I took the car there,and they changed it in about 15 minutes!"Its a bit awkward this one",otherwise job done!
So now you know where to go next time!
Apparently Renault remove the front bumber,etc.,and charge you accordingly,so beware!]

I agree, we took ours to Halfords to replace a front dipped bulb. The last time cost us 40 + by a proper mechanic.I rang them first to make sure they could do it and they said "oh yes".
Now, it did take three of them to do it, but it only took 15 minutes and cost 9 for the bulb and 6 to fit, marvellous. :d

wahian
18th February 2010, 04:33 PM
After twice before messing about changing front bulbs on my Megane II, I went to a Renault Minute workshop to change near-side ( left) dipped headlamp bulb.

They didn't bother going inside the wheel arch and the whole job done from inside the engine bay. Took 20 minutes pottering along, and total cost was 35.

lane4king
19th March 2010, 10:06 PM
looks like a visit to halfords for me....are you guys sure that halfords will put the bulb in ?..im sure they must have realised that this is a tricky job..and charge extra ?

Pat.w
19th March 2010, 10:08 PM
Yep, they did one in my mates R26 and charged a fiver :)

He reckons it only took them 5 minutes

hondo
19th March 2010, 10:10 PM
looks like a visit to halfords for me....are you guys sure that halfords will put the bulb in ?..im sure they must have realised that this is a tricky job..and charge extra ?

I'm sure they do, and I'm pretty sure that you're probabley right. ;)

Oh sorry & Welcome to the forum :)

lane4king
19th March 2010, 10:14 PM
I'm sure they do, and I'm pretty sure that you're probabley right. ;)

Oh sorry & Welcome to the forum :)ok thanks guys ..ill give them a call tommorow, my missus has a mk2 megane, but i told here not to drive the car with the headlight out after dark, probably get pulled by the cops.....told her to pop the bonnet so i can take the bulb out...what a nightmare...no way to take the bulb out...no shes sitting at home..were gonna go out...damm those renault designers...lol:d

hondo
19th March 2010, 10:18 PM
:d

There's a round slide cover under the front of the wing to replace the bulbs. :)

lane4king
19th March 2010, 10:24 PM
:d

There's a round slide cover under the front of the wing to replace the bulbs. :)would i need to remove the lining in the wheel arch?...the passenger side headlamp has gone...

hondo
19th March 2010, 10:28 PM
I've got to be honest, I dunn, so far I've been lucky & have not had one go. The instructions for changing them I'm sure is in the handbook. If you don't have one I'll post you a link :)

hondo
19th March 2010, 10:31 PM
This takes you through to Renaults Website, register your car on there & the download is Freee. :d

Handbook (http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5630&page=8)

lane4king
19th March 2010, 10:49 PM
This takes you through to Renaults Website, register your car on there & the download is Freee. :d

Handbook (http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5630&page=8)
thanks mate ...registered, although i coudnt find 2003 model, i found 2004 model...which seems to be the same....seems theres a acesss panel like you said...will see in the morning...thanks once again..;)

hondo
19th March 2010, 10:54 PM
Not a problem at all, I've got to be honest for the sake of a fiver, if it is still a fiver. ;)
If you know what I mean. :)

If it was me, I'd still have a look though. :)

Good luck

Pat.w
19th March 2010, 11:29 PM
ooops, they've put the price up :o

It's 5.99 now

lane4king
20th March 2010, 06:07 PM
ooops, they've put the price up :o

It's 5.99 now
ok ive done the passenger side now, the damm indicator wont work on the drivers side headlamp...ive noticed there are two bulbs in there...iwhat are they for?...there is just a hole in the wheel arch on the drivers side...that is the access hole...i thought id take it to halfords, bloke said he will do it, came out put his hand into the hole and said he coudnt get a good grip to remove the bulb and sufggested i try at home by jacking the car up and removing the wheel.....here we go again lol..:eek:

horaceoz
24th March 2010, 11:10 PM
easiest thing jack up car n/s or o/s take off wheel dirt shield,it is in two pieces remove front half, held in with about six plastic clips unclip brakehose and pull down shield and you can can see back of h/lamp,it takes me about 20 mins to change bulb in total

westie666
8th April 2010, 10:37 AM
I suggest removing the front bumper...3 M10 bolts under the car and a dozen pop screws on the top where the bonnet slam is....takes about 30 mins start to finish, including taking headlights off (if you wanted to do it that way!) !

sean1968
13th November 2010, 12:21 PM
My offside headlight bulb went last week and I ws looking through here about changing it. In the end I really didnt fancy trying to do it but hate the idea of paying someone else for what should be a straight forward job really.
So today I went to Halfords in Northampton and bought a bulb. They asked me if I wanted it fitting for 5.99 + the bulb?
Damn right I did lol. I knew id struggle, shout at the kids like its there fault etc etc so I paid it. Took him less than 5 minutes.
Believe me everyone. Its much better to let someone who knows how to do it get on with it than struggle for ages doing it yourself.

metaylor
4th December 2010, 03:44 PM

hello ive just paid to have my light bulb changed at renault garage 55 but my freind has just bought a new bulb from halfords and paid to have it fitted for 5

just thought i would say for those of us that really dont wana get dirty around the wheel arch in this cold weather

Dad spanners
3rd November 2011, 08:13 PM
My daughters car is a megane 1.4 16v 02
I tried in vein to replace the drivers side ,sidelight bulb a few days since,I heard the advert on local radio Halfords replacing bulbs,so we took the car (just) the bloke said what year is it? told him 02 and he said no can do! then he said he'd take a look and see if he could do it, approx 10 minutes of struggling from under bonnet and he'd replaced it.He charged us 6.95 and gave us the spare bulb from the pack. I reckon that is a good deal.
He told us the later models from 05 or 06 on had to go on a ramp to replace them from the wheel arch.
For what he charged us,I don't think it's worth standing out there especially in winter and chancing your luck.
Gary

G4VGH
3rd November 2011, 09:14 PM
I just had my bulbs changed at Halfords too for 6.99.

One of my headlights was slightly duller than the other and I was wondering if the bulb was in correctly:confused:
Anyway, before I got chance to check the 'good' bulb went :eek: :devil:

I had already decided to try the Halfraud option after reading various members opinions.

The guy changed both bulbs in 15 mins - excellent :d
I brought the 90% brighter bulbs - waste of money, makes no difference. :loser:

I did have to take it back as they were not in correct. Night time illumination was awful and beam pattern was wrong. :steam::censored:

I would advise peeps to check alignment ASAP either against a wall of some description or at night as it appears quite easy to mis-align the bulbs and end up with a very poor beam.

Tom*0327
17th December 2011, 01:55 PM
Haha you's don't know how much this would of helped me a few months back i was stratchin me head for days thinking how it's done haha ended up going out and buying manual ha

am sure this will help alot of people!

PieterG
23rd December 2011, 06:48 AM
Hi,

Would the parking light bulb also be accessable through the wheel arch or would I have to go the bumper-removal route (I want to replace both headlight and parking light bulbs on both sides).

Regards

HeatherJ
23rd December 2011, 01:17 PM
Hi,

Would the parking light bulb also be accessable through the wheel arch or would I have to go the bumper-removal route (I want to replace both headlight and parking light bulbs on both sides).

Regards

I recently changed the sidelight bulbs on my megane! I accessed them through the wheel arch! The passenger side one was easy enough... the driver's side took a longer as there isn't much room on that side! They need to be turned and pulled out. Its a bit fiddlely due to the wires round it!
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/_User-folders/vBulletinImg/2011/12/{B5B47B01-A395-458B-94EC-9C1A94CC102B}.jpeg

Westy1
10th December 2012, 06:38 PM
Hi. Help. I have a Megane II 1.4 (Expression)but it has 'optical' light lens and when I go to change the bulbs I see no W clip just wedged in bulbs. Problem is after owning the car for 3 months the off side bulb went and a garage changed the bulb. However while I have illuminating bulbs I have very poor roadlighting with just a small spot directly in front of bonnet illuminating well. My guess is the bulbs are wedged in upside down with the nearside wrong from new and the off side wrong from the garage change. Has anyone else with this type of vehicle have had this type of problem?

chalkie52
15th December 2012, 11:45 AM
I have 2005 1.6 megane and have just replaced my o/s dipped beam bulb, through the engine bay, 5 mins.
I popped the bonnet, removed the cover that allows visual access to the back of the headlight, unclip and remove the water spout, you can now get your hand in easily and not do anything blind.
Dead easy :)

clyde1
26th January 2013, 03:36 PM
Ive been told that i can access my 04 megane II`s headlight bulb by removing the plastic covers in the engine bay directly above the headlight area ????....im hoping this is the case but i also just phoned halfords who quoted 6.99 to do the job so that may be an option for me aswell.........btw...what do people mean by replacing a dipped bulb and a full bulb ???...how many bulbs are there..i was under the impression these was only one.....my headlights will go full beam but when i put them to dipped the n/s one is only half as bright as the o/s one ?????

clyde1
26th January 2013, 04:13 PM

SECPO83
27th January 2013, 04:52 PM
Hi .Sorry for my bad English.
What i know , because i look for this on web for long time spend.
For changing the bublre light direction ( clignotant in french) you might better do what they done in Renault shop , you'll better do fast if you take off the Bumper ( Pare Choc in french).
It's the devill to change the light passing By the Arch Wheel like they precognize in the Manual.You must have very skinny hand to do it whithout being injuried.
@<hidden>++++secpo83

ezre12
24th August 2013, 01:18 PM
I was solving the mystery with Megane II headlights for a while. In the end I always went to garage to have it changed. Last time, the fender access cover fell off the other day after servicing the headlights and I said no more. I researched the internet and cheked the lights. They can be accesed from under the fenders, but once the circular light cover is removed I was able to access them also from the motor area. Slim hand is welcome.

To my surprise, the serviced bulb was placed completely incorrectly in the bracket, see the image. The image also shows the two little clamps that hold the bulb in place. There is no wire like for the other models. Here the bulb is simly pushed in until it clips or pulled straight out until it unclics from the clamps. The schematics shows how the bulb is held in place.

My bulbs have little holes on the connectors. You can make a 1 cent worth tool from thick enough wire to go through the holes. Then you can pull the bulb out within 2-3 seconds.

Hope this helps. Spread the word after cheking it by yourself. No more garage visits for headlit changes!

pammy j martin
1st January 2014, 06:45 PM
My headlamp bulbs blow every 2 months,(un findable fault).
I can change a bulb in 30 sec its a lot easier than most cars.

RichT43
26th January 2014, 10:12 AM
monty77 after making the picture brighter I've just noticed there's one of those clippy things on both sides. :o

Hiya I struggled for 3 hours in the cold yesterday freezing me bits off and all went well till trying to get the bulb out, in the end end swore several times and gave up, saw the pic u posted and had another go this morning and job done 15 mins, if anyone is struggling it is held in by the two spring tabs that hondo has arrowed I just pressed the one showed by the red arrow back away from the centre of the buld and the bulb just popped out, piece of cake

A55ii
6th April 2014, 04:36 PM
Hi the 'optical light lens' bulbs appear to be just a push fit H7 (they are on my 2006 1.5dci)

I had this problem when I first purchased the car, bulb blew driving it home from dealer ! they replaced the bulb but as you say it had illumination but no actual visibility on the road.

I took out the front half of the arch liner (two screws and a few plastic tree thingies) turned the steering to face the opposite way got my head and torch in
and there is a notch which matches up on the bulb back plate and then pushed it home.

As the fuel filter & washer bottle etc. is also in there I'm so well practiced, I now take out the arch liner so quickly that I don't bother with the silly little access hole
that you can barely get a hand through and lacerates your forearm when you do try!

regards Al.

Adam10
12th May 2014, 01:46 PM
I personally found that removing the battery cover on my megane II and going in with my hand against the grill almost to reach it front there with someone else going in from the arch got the job done easily enough...fogs, LED sidelights, xenon high and dipped beams FTW :d