: Merchant Navy

daft_plonk
6th February 2009, 07:13 PM
Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has any info/experiency in the merchant navy?

I am going to an open day tomorrow in south shields and I would like to find out about becoming an officer in preferably Communications or Command.

I have looked on the South Tyneside College website for information, and I have a pretty good idea of what to expect, and what to ask the people there.

If i were to enter on one of the courses it would be for a degree in mercant shipping (in a specified area), spending 6 months in the college, and then 6 months at sea (hopfully 6months and a day :d).

Idealy I would like to get an idea of what it entails (sp?) and how I would go about entering.

Any suggestions/opininons/experience welcome :)

daft_plonk
6th February 2009, 07:54 PM
acctually have i put this in the right place?

Tink
6th February 2009, 07:56 PM
Not sure buddy but good luck with it..

kriswain
7th February 2009, 08:20 AM
good luck mate

Tiggerz_SRi
7th February 2009, 08:43 AM
Good luck dp, I assume you've read this site? http://www.mna.org.uk/

daft_plonk
7th February 2009, 01:20 PM
just to update you all i went there today, and I got loads of info :d:d:d

I am REALLY considering a career in the merchant now, and after finding out about the differetn traning companies, there seems to be one in particular that i should avoid, as they wont pay any expense (travel/accomodation, all others paid at least some of the costs) and if you want to change from the company they set you up with, you have to buy yourself out of it :crazy:

I am just finding out about the two main differences between deck and engineering now (engineerings winning)

It was also interesting talking to the student who are part way through their courses, one that I were talking to has been to Hawaii, Caribbean, Alaska, and California (just over 1/2 way through his first year :eek:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

@<hidden>

no mate, I havent seen that website, but I shall give it a read, I think its an old "T3" class tanker at the top of the page though, could be wrong

Mike11
7th February 2009, 02:25 PM
Go for it DP, I know a few mates who have left the RN and gone into the Merch. I don't know much about it myself but worth a try if that is what you want to do.

Good luck mate.

grace12
14th November 2009, 03:49 AM
great...!!

squace
25th November 2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for that, WebX.

Is the CVV2 sometimes a requirement of the merchant account, though? Thats what Im wondering... no problem if it isnt

-L