: Renault - Have you experienced bonnet catch failure?

selwonk
4th May 2006, 09:45 AM
Please vote if you have experienced bonnet catch failure as discussed in this thread:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6664

Thanks

Paulo
4th May 2006, 10:24 AM
2002 clio... plastic design see p20 of thread in selwonk's post

A former user
4th May 2006, 01:18 PM
Yes both my Lagunas - 1998 + 2001 - but noticed the bonnet hopping about with the safety catch holding it before any damage could be done - quick grease up did the trick to ensure the main catch worked correctly.

scen1c
4th May 2006, 03:14 PM
Mother in laws Megane - noticed the bonnet bouncing up and down when on the motorway! :eek:

ren25
5th May 2006, 01:11 AM
To put the question into context you should also have a box for those of us that have never had this problem. Then you would see what all the fuss isn't about.
I've just had a look at the poll results, what more do I need to say.

selwonk
10th May 2006, 05:48 PM
But this problem effects a very small number of vehicles so adding "I've never had a failure" would completely skew the results. What we are interested in is how many, if any, users have had the problem. We already know that most of our members will not have had the problem

mr vee
15th May 2006, 02:10 PM
i've had it on my laguna, quick spray of wd40 every now and then seems to sort it out though:)

hondo
18th May 2006, 06:04 PM
Just found out the bonnet clip on the guna 2 is a single placi one in the middle.

The Guna 1 was double one each side, and I'm sure they were made made of steel :crazy:

Truckbusuk
21st May 2006, 05:47 PM
1995 Espace, both catches failed closed ..... bonnet would not open ... 2 days later @<hidden> 30mph (not any faster luckily) it decided to open, but was caught by the push to release catch on the n/s.:mad:

Just gunge from the winter, road muck and salt etc ... lithium grease and WD40 ... fixed it and never had a repeat.

rdowney19
28th December 2006, 02:45 PM
mine opened on thursday at about 55 mph smashed the front window and dented the roof now im gonna have to pay for it. It was opened a week before but id been to belfast and back twice and also to craigavon with no problem untill it opened.

Ive pics of the window, roof and bonnet and the bonnet catch il get them up soon.

vass20
28th December 2006, 05:57 PM
mine opened on thursday at about 55 mph smashed the front window and dented the roof now im gonna have to pay for it. It was opened a week before but id been to belfast and back twice and also to craigavon with no problem untill it opened.

Ive pics of the window, roof and bonnet and the bonnet catch il get them up soon.

Are the bonnet catches working? How resistive is the spring on the safety hook? Are the devices clean and greased or otherwise lubricated?

You should not have to pay for this; at worst, you claim on your insurance policy and lose your NCD. Try contacting RCS and adding your name to the list of victims. Please report this to VOSA fao Stuart Jenkins and to BBC's Watchdog if possible. Email them or something.

jazzerfaux
29th December 2006, 08:14 PM
2001 Clio- About 60mph on the motorway windscreen, roof and both front qtr panels damaged.

BeerMonster
29th December 2006, 09:38 PM
2000 Laguna. Just would'nt open.
When eventually managed to get it opened with a little help from dad WD40 did the trick.

vass20
30th December 2006, 02:49 PM
I think some have misunderstood the purpose of this poll (unless I am the one who has misunderstood).

The idea behind this, was to find out how many members had had the tish scared out of 'em by their car-bonnet flying up in their face while they were driving. A question of safety as I see it.

All those who have posted about your bonnet defying you to open it, please continue to post and don't be discouraged by the grumpy old men on this station (I think I may be the oldest:yawn: and grumpiest :( ).

This was just a remark to try and keep alive the concern we all seem to share on the subject and the sympathy we have for those who have suffered this awful experience.

RENAULT PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!!!

deano23285
8th May 2007, 10:28 AM
before i bought my megane i noticed the bonnet catch was screwed so i insisted they replaced it

Bob925
6th January 2008, 09:28 PM
Mk1 Ph1 Megane - noticed this afternoon the bonnet bouncing up and down at about 70mph. I very nearly pooped my pants!

I can't get the bonnet to shut properly after repeated slammings, jumping up and down on it (not really!) and swearing at it. It just lifts up on the safety catch and won't stay down. I'm assuming it needs a liitle grease in there? Not sure where though!

At the moment I'm just glad it's been spotted before disaster strikes.

Bob

stef123
4th February 2008, 05:52 PM
Mk1 Ph1 Megane - noticed this afternoon the bonnet bouncing up and down at about 70mph. I very nearly pooped my pants!

I can't get the bonnet to shut properly after repeated slammings, jumping up and down on it (not really!) and swearing at it. It just lifts up on the safety catch and won't stay down. I'm assuming it needs a liitle grease in there? Not sure where though!

At the moment I'm just glad it's been spotted before disaster strikes.

Bob

I know you posted about your bonnet 4 weeks ago but I had a similar problem a while ago and almost had a failure. I had noticed a couple of times it would lift without pulling the lever and also wasn't closing properly. So my advice to anyone with the same problem is to spray a little wd40 onto all the moving parts every week or whenever the bonnet is open, does the trick nicely and I have never had a problem since.
stef123

Bob925
4th February 2008, 11:08 PM
I did the same Stef, about 4 weeks back! I clearly neglected to point this out on here - d'oh! :)

delta1066
5th February 2008, 12:05 PM
97 Megane, no problems YET.....

Mind you, I do give the catch mechanism a good soaking with WD40 equivalent every month or 2. At the moment it's not drivable anyway but when it was, I was always buzzing up and down the motorway at 70 and normal national speed limit roads at 60. Touch wood it's always been fine but needless to say I always give it a good soaking just to make sure bits don't seize.

Why don't they make bonnets open from the back anymore?

EDIT:
Probably a good idea to do the door catch mechanisms too. I've noticed the back driver side door on ours doesn't close properly unless it has a good slam. The amount of times I've pulled away after dropping someone off to notice the door doesn't close as lightly as the others is scary. Also done the sunroof where the corkscrew mechanism resides as it seems to gather a lot of dirt in there.

brigatti
25th March 2008, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know the status of the bonnets in Lagunas, Scenics, et al - seems more reports of other models being affected - not JUST Clios Mark-2!

Do you know if this has been presented to Renault??? as an unofficial poll?

Do we have any other history / data on this point?

Azurael
31st March 2008, 11:26 AM
My offside bonnet catch was very sticky and often fails to lock properly on shutting the bonnet. Not caught me out yet, but I really should have it out and clean it up properly one of these days.

As I said, I can't help wondering if the only reason this hasn't happened to a Laguna on record yet is that there are two catches and the likelihood of both jamming up simultaneously is quite small. I'd like to see the design of the Clio catch for comparison if anybody's got a picture...

delta1066
4th May 2008, 10:21 PM
Never experienced catch failure on the megane.

The other day though on the Questor I stupidly put the bonnet down gently and just pushed it closed. Hours later while joining the M20 it came back to haunt me when the onboard computer started speaking the word 'Bonnet' repeatedly @<hidden> 65MPH. I pulled over and had to re-close it.

Mighty good job it did of warning me - couldn't see the bonnet wobbling at all though it is very long. Lucky the car could detect it and warn me - It probably saved our lives that day!

Bob925
5th May 2008, 08:04 PM
THAT is COOL! :d

I didn't realise it did the bonnet too. Clever car ;)

delta1066
5th May 2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah we were both well impressed. Normally before speaking it plays a few tones to announce its presence... It didn't that day it just got straight to the point and started saying "Bonnet.........Bonnet........Bonnet.........Bonnet"

I was seriously chuffed with the way it saved us from a probable accident.

Shame its off the road now the pesky sump has been cracked :(

porsch1909
13th May 2008, 10:03 PM
Was driving on the motorway home today and the damn bonnet popped up and smashed my windscreen, wrecked the bonnet, dented the roof and there is damage to the side pillars too..

I want to phone Renault and yell at them...but I know they won't care. I want to sue them for everything they are worth. I could have been rear ended and died today.

Not happy :(

Has anyone had any luck from Renault in getting any cost. I never received a letter saying that there is a problem or to go to a dealer to get it checked. Full service history also.

mord
24th June 2009, 01:34 PM
The only way a bonnet will pop up like that is if its been replaced incorectly.
Either by routing the main cable across the back of the engine bay wrong or if the short cable is not routed correctly past the PAS fluid resiviour which is usually mounted behind the radiator.
They have small clips that the cables must be refitted to or else they are pre stressed and can either fail to work when the cable is pulled by the dashboard handle or they will not correctly allow the catches to fully lock.

Catches MUST also be spotlessly clean, not gunked in grease or oil, as they then gunk up with dust and gunk from the road, which causes them to fail to work at all.
They can also SPLIT APART, if the bonnet has been slammed down repeatedly on them too hard.

The frpnt Middle sprung catch should hold and stop the bonnet from popping up if the main bonnet latches fail.

Should be pretty obvious that the bonnet is not fully locked in place by the gaps between the bonnet and the wings.

Probably better off searching for a couple of replacement wings and bonnet from a breakers yard, if you don't want to go through an insurance claim (legal claim against who ever incorrectly replaced the bonnet release cables would be your only recourse).

porsch1909
24th June 2009, 01:41 PM
No part of the bonnet or the bonnet latch has ever been replaced on my car and has always been serviced by Renault dealships and MOT'd at VOSA approved garages.

Azurael
24th June 2009, 02:02 PM
Disaster waiting to happen? :crazy:

Spotted in Bath Sainsbury's car park...

porsch1909
24th June 2009, 02:06 PM
Disaster waiting to happen? :crazy:

Spotted in Bath Sainsbury's car park...

That will still be on the safety catch. The safety catch is exactly that. It should be functional upto I think it was over 100 mph according to Renault.

Which means that when Renault accused me of not closing my bonnet properly they where implying that I very delicately put it down so that the safety wasn't latched on.

Is that even possible??!?

Azurael
24th June 2009, 02:30 PM
The safety catch on mine went at just under 60... It was completely bent out of shape, it didn't just slip off. Then again, the Lag's bonnet (I'd imagine) is much, much heavier.

johne53
28th June 2009, 05:36 PM
Selwonk - that link you posted (in your header post) seems to be broken.... However, when I had a Renault Safrane I had two problems with the bonnet release. First, I had the same problem as Azurael, above (although it was the nearside catch in my case). When closing the bonnet I would have to hold it over the nearside catch and really slam it home - otherwise the onboard computer would pester the life out of me by constantly reporting that the bonnet was open.

Secondly, I once had a problem where the interior bonnet release failed and I had to take the car to a Renault dealer. It was quite expensive to fix IIRC.

Pat.w
29th July 2009, 12:03 PM
link fixed :)

dirtyharry7717
19th July 2010, 11:51 AM
yes totaly, i had to take my grill of to gain access but now the rod that runs along the top of the rad has come loose and sits in the boot, lol funny thing now cause i dont need under the bonnet but when i do How the heck do i open her up , right sight i can open but the left is shut compleatly tight no room to get hand up and have a feel ... any help welcome....

GAZ751
23rd April 2011, 04:15 PM
although the catches are **** poor, especially mk2 clio secondry catches, freeing them off is dead easy, of course it does help if the bonnet has been lifted from one year to the next ( usually indicated by empty washer bottles and no oil in the engine):loser:

Azurael
24th April 2011, 04:06 AM
Bit nervous that the Lag II only has one bonnet catch. Having said that, the bonnet can't be much over 1/3 the weight of the Lag Is!

obeltrano
24th April 2011, 11:51 PM
Well, yesterday I saw this post but I'd no time to read it. My bonnet was so hard to open. Today I did spray WD40 on it, closed the bonnet and... one more problem to get solved, the bonnet isn't opening any more. I removed the "puller/opener" however it's called inside the car but...nothing.
What I've to do now? I've to remove the protection underneath of the car and try to open it from there?
Anyone could help me please???
Renault Laguna 02 initiale
"Before I was dreaming with that car... now I can't sleep anymore".:d
One month of ownership... uncountable problems!

obeltrano
25th April 2011, 11:09 PM
Today I got it opened. The catcher is far too rusty and the place were the cable goes is bending. I hope on Friday I'll go buy another one...:eek:
I already knew before... having a car is like having a second wife but this Laguna:devil: is even worse

obeltrano
2nd May 2011, 01:55 PM
Yesterday I bought a New bonnet catches, cleaned all the old rust, now is working perfectly and smoothly :d

Andrew Capp
30th October 2013, 09:16 PM
No............Three clios in family, if you do the maintenance there is no problem. All it takes is a bit of copper slip to keep thing running smooth.

coup
30th October 2013, 11:11 PM
Just to put it in context. Ive experienced bonnet catch failure other than renaults.
Worst offender was an audi 80, also had it on an opel.
None on 2 renaults owned ,so far.

Meganeman
31st October 2013, 12:04 AM
I think Renault got a lot of bad press with this one.As already posted before ive seen lots of other makes and models with seized bonnet catches!

Dancingdad
2nd January 2014, 02:02 PM
I think Renault got a lot of bad press with this one.As already posted before ive seen lots of other makes and models with seized bonnet catches!

Friend's Austin 1100 back in the 70's and I had a catch jam on a Capri in 80's due to rust. It was a nail and I'd only just bought it to keep me on the road but still a crowbar job to open,
Been more diligent in keeping em lubricated since.

chuffer690
17th February 2014, 07:29 AM
Never experienced catch failure on any of the 18 vehicles i've owned, always opening / closing & lubing parts, just a habit to lube the catch.

I did have a catch fail on a 16 ton volvo dump truck in '93 so i took the bonnet off for the day - let the air get to the engine :d:d

chuffer690
2nd March 2014, 01:04 PM
When my van went into Renault for a check up it came back with an 'Advisory' about the bonnet catch, saying it was corroded & would i like to pay 69 to have a new one :eek:
So this morning i thought i'd show you lovely people that you don't need to do what they advise you to do.
My bonnet catch is held in place by 2 nyloc 10mm nuts, (mask up the area so catch will go back in the same place) undo nuts - if met by resistance move nut back & forth until it works free, degrease the catch assy. & wait awhile, wash assy. off with hot water & dry completely. Apply 2 coats of rust converter (toolstation) & leave to dry, reattach catch to bonnet & tighten nuts. Apply white grease (or similar) to all moving points & don't forget the catch point on slam bar - simples

Keep an eye on your catch & lube it up on a regular basis. :cool:
Thanks for watching

timthegas
23rd July 2014, 05:21 PM
Never had a problem. However a friend in the 80s had this happen( bonnet flip) on TWO desperate Renault 18 I think both were written off by insurance. Another guy I knew had a very old montego 1.3 that had done 235,000 miles believe it or not. His bonnet flipped and wrote car off.he was gutted as he reckoned the car was good for at least another 100,000. Its not just Renaults, and tbh owners should have the presence out mind to ensure all moving parts of any vehicle are kept free and lubricated. I will put my statement into practice tomorrow now I have had a reminder

hondo
23rd July 2014, 09:55 PM
Its not just Renaults, and tbh owners should have the presence out mind to ensure all moving parts of any vehicle are kept free and lubricated. I will put my statement into practice tomorrow now I have had a reminder

:iagree:

Well said that man.

We've all seen them in here saying "Am alright to jet wash under the bonnet"?

I really wonder how many have, but never bothered to lubricate the bits that do require lubing afterwards.

timthegas
23rd July 2014, 10:04 PM
Well? Am I OK to jet wash under the bonnet? :crazy:

hondo
23rd July 2014, 10:09 PM
Well? Am I OK to jet wash under the bonnet? :crazy:

Of course you can my man, after all, it's your car. :d

===================================

Just for the uninitiated, the above is said in complete jest.