: Career suggestions

ollyc
9th November 2009, 07:24 PM
After being rejected for the fourth time for an apprenticeship in the motor industry I've decided to give that up.

But I'm all outta ideas so any suggestions for what I should do with my future? try to keep suggestions legal and preferably sensible.

Pat.w
9th November 2009, 07:31 PM
What qualifications do you have :)

ollyc
9th November 2009, 07:49 PM
Well at 16 I though I had all the answers so dropped outta school with just a few GCSE's

Science: B
Maths: C
English: E

Wish I'd tried a bit harder now lol

Pat.w
9th November 2009, 07:52 PM
Ah, that may explain the apprenticeship problems then

ollyc
9th November 2009, 07:57 PM
Well honda had me for an interview, said I did really well on the tests and whatnot. Then got a letter this morning saying there was someone more suitable for the position.

Not to focus too heavily on the race thing but the guy did admit they have a diversity policy, I'm a straight, white, british, young, male with no disabilities, I don't have much of a chance.

saabguy
9th November 2009, 08:01 PM
Where are you in the UK Olly?

Pat.w
9th November 2009, 08:01 PM
Surprisingly it may have been that you were too old. They can pay apprentices less when they take them straight from school

ollyc
9th November 2009, 08:02 PM
Newbury, Berkshire

They were only gunna pay minimum wage anyway (95 a week)

Pat.w
9th November 2009, 08:15 PM
I guess you could try a garage rather than a manufacturer

Lagdti
9th November 2009, 08:17 PM
How are you going about getting an apprenticeship?.If your on your own then you'll struggle,ideally you need to sign up to a managing agent and they will put your name foward to prosepctive companies.I was looked after by a company called Autotech which has now morphed into Paragon,I'm not sure that they are a national company though.

I've got to be honest though,I would stay out of the motor trade......but then I am 'celebrating' my 20th year in it next year....celebrating.....yeah,right.:rofl:

ollyc
9th November 2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah I've sent out 30 copies of my CV in the last week.

I'm thinking of taking a different career path, just not sure which yet.

hondo
9th November 2009, 08:25 PM
Hows about college to improve on your GCSEs

A prospective employer is always going to demand the best qualified, especially in todays job market.

You've got to ask yourself the question, if you were the employer, wouldn't you demand the best?

ollyc Being employed now, is hard ball I'm afraid.

ollyc
9th November 2009, 08:31 PM
Yeah I've been considering going back to college but education doesn't pay the bills

hondo
9th November 2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah I've been considering going back to college but education doesn't pay the bills

Is there anything paying the bills right now?

I think you need to be looking at this from a long term point of view, otherwise you could end up on a life time of only minimum wage.

ollyc
9th November 2009, 08:38 PM
Good point. Looks like I'll be off to connexions tomorrow and start planning my life out. Guess I could get a night job as well as college.

hondo
9th November 2009, 08:51 PM
Don't let life run away from you olly, if you don't do something, take it from me, no :censored: else will !!!

A young lady I used to work with is now doing full time @<hidden> Uni to be a Nurse, and still finds the time to work during the Weekend to pay the bills, she doesn't have any parents to rely on and pays for her privately rented accommodation herself. Check the price of a 1 bedroom flat in your area!

ollyc
9th November 2009, 08:56 PM
I have accomodation sorted, 50 a week, so it could be done it's just getting into college.
I tried to sign on today and was told I can't because I haven't paid enough NI, I have paid thousands in taxes for nothing. They couldn't even help me get more education. Useless government.

hondo
9th November 2009, 09:06 PM
Are you just going to let it all end there?

Blaming the Government will not help, I don't know how old you are, but if you are in the age group you seriously need to get advice from Connexions ASAP

BTW If you're paying only 50 /wk and not living with your parents, you are a very lucky young man.

ollyc
9th November 2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah I'm just in the age group for connexions and will be going there tomorrow, I would expect at least some help from the government though

hondo
9th November 2009, 09:26 PM
I would expect at least some help from the government though

The problem is olly if it isn't forthcoming, theres only you that can make a difference.

The responsibility for the rest of your life can only be influenced initially by you.

Thats me out of here, I feel like I've almost gone back to work. :)

ollyc
9th November 2009, 09:29 PM
Lol fair enough, well thanks for your advice

hondo
10th November 2009, 09:29 AM
Lol fair enough, well thanks for your advice

Ollyc thats cool, thank YOU, for listening :)

ollyc
10th November 2009, 10:15 AM
Well I'm off to connexions at 3 to talk to an advisor, gunna go back to college and improve on my GCSE english I think. Hopefully they can help make my CV more interesting.

VelSatisfied
10th November 2009, 10:43 AM
Just a thought here;

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/jobs/pages/default.aspx

Most are in support functions, so you're not at front-line risk.

Paul

hondo
10th November 2009, 10:44 AM
Mmmm more interesting, one way of making your work history look more interesting is becoming a Volunteer, before you start thinking WTF consider going to an interview with some history of volunteering on your CV. IT becomes real good talking point during the course of an interview.

The prospective employer reflects on the fact that :shocked: Jeez if this young person has been prepared to WORK in volunteering for nothing, so its pretty obvious that have not gone right out of the work ethic, & JC they should be very willing workers most especially in paid employment.

I got hundreds of youngsters into paid employment on the back of volunteering. Within reason which is usually related to community benefit, you can pretty much select your own type of work area.

However whatever a young person does through maybe 100 or 200 hours of volunteering, it really does look good on a CV.

Be aware though, its like either school or college, its a case of, you will only get out, what you, are prepared to put in. :)

ollyc
10th November 2009, 10:50 AM
I have planned on some kind of volunteer work, just to give me something to do, I'm going insane staring at these 4 walls all day, need to get out.

Unfortunately the army is not a job I could ever do, I just don't love my country enough to die for it. And I know 'that's what's up with britain today' but noone looks after the army, the pay isn't even worth it. Oh and I'm badly out of shape, I wouldn't even pass the fitness.

Navy is out, I don't feel like drowning, Air force don't want me.

I considered becoming a policeman but then I remembered I don't like people so it'd never work.

VelSatisfied
10th November 2009, 11:08 AM
Its up to you, but a support function means that you aren't really at any risk. I met a mechanic yesterday whilst browsing at a motorcycle shop, and he does all the servicing & repairs - he did all his apprenticeship training in the army maintaining their vehicles.

I don't know, but travelling the world working on big boy toys, and being paid to qualify vs struggling in a flat...

Its your choice, but I know where I'd be voting.

Paul

hondo
10th November 2009, 02:08 PM
Just turned three, checking to see if ollycs green lamp is off. :devil:

madnoel10
10th November 2009, 02:08 PM
Qualifications and experience ain't the only apsects of job hunting. A lot depends on how you present yourself at the time. Remember you never get a second chance to make a first impression.Also remember interviewers are only human - they will consider how you come across as an individual and their impression of you will be influenced by how you look, your behaviour, your ability to communicate and your body language. Also you ability to communicate when spoken to and even your writing skills on the application form will influence them. If the work requires a degree of responsibilty they will also consider how mature you are (not in age but in demeanor and thought).
There are a number of things you can do to help yourself before seeking help. Firstly stand in front of the mirror and ask yourself if I were a business man or would I employ a guy like me. How do others see me - do I come across as honest, responsible and reliable.
The next step is to sit down and carry out a SWOT analysis on your self. Write it down or word process it out. This excercise can take a number or hours or more - reveiew it daily over a week or so - amend it as you go - but be honest - no point in cheating yourself.
So what is SWOT analysis - it works like this!!

S = strengths - what good points can you offer as an individual - how could I develop or improve these attributes. What job skills do I have to offer - even having a good attendance record at achool or in previous jobs will have an influence.
W = weaknesses - what as a person do I lack in life skills - how can I improve or change these aspects or how can I minimise the effects of these weakneses.
O = opportunities - what opportunities are out there - yes they may be limited - too many people chasing too few jobs - how could I improve my chances. Do I know anyone who could give me a good written reference for example.
T = threats - - people better qualified than you going for the same job - what can I do to match their capabilities.

This excercise may seem long and difficult but it is worth investing the time and effort - after all it may well effect the rest of your life and in the scheme of things is actually a very short time. Even going for careers advice armed with a SWOT analysis under your arm can make a big difference.

Good Luck:)

VelSatisfied
10th November 2009, 04:22 PM
In an interview scenario, its always fairly easy to talk about your strengths, but quite often you will be asked about any weaknesses - this is difficult to answer (unless you are perfect, and have none:cool:), but you also don't want to shoot your chances in the foot either, by admitting something which may exclude/minimise your chances of employment. Something ideal would be a weakness, which indicates a strong work ethic - such as staying behind to make sure the jobs done right, coming into work even if you're not feeling that great, etc.

Remember to have also done some research on the job & company - you are interviewing them also and they will no doubt ask you if you have any questions for them - showing you have done your homework, and can ask intelligent questions will help you stand out.

HTH

Paul

ollyc
10th November 2009, 04:54 PM
Well I've been to connexions, came away with half a trees worth of paper. Apparently I should 'waste some time in education until an apprenticeship becomes available' not my words.

Also everything I have done so far is fine so I'm told, I should be happy I even got an interview.

Started applying for jobs a little further away, it'll mean an hours travel each way (with no traffic) but I'll take anythin right now.

Pat.w
10th November 2009, 05:00 PM
Just a thought Olly

This company (http://www.3trpd.co.uk/) is in your neck of the woods, I use them quite a bit.

Give em a call and see if they need a trainee part finisher/model maker

madnoel10
10th November 2009, 05:23 PM
After being rejected for the fourth time for an apprenticeship in the motor industry I've decided to give that up.

But I'm all outta ideas so any suggestions for what I should do with my future? try to keep suggestions legal and preferably sensible.

Only four rejections - in the course of my career I have had too many to count - welcome to the real world of work. Yes many people see rejection as a failure - other who are more positive see it as another opportunity. Remain positive. Although you may not realise it sometimes any negativity inadvertently shines through at interview time.
If any weaknesses come to light during an interview try and put a positive slant on it by saying you realise such but suggest you have a realistic plan to deal with it. I realise job hunting for the younger generation can be difficult at times but for goodness sake don't let any boyish or rakish behaviour be evident at interview time. Remember all employees are representatives of the company.:)

ollyc
10th November 2009, 05:23 PM
I'll give them a bell tomorrow.

Also looking into becoming a locksmith, no apprenticeships in that though so I'd have to fund my own training.

I know 4 rejections is nothing, the first time I looked for a job I sent out 70 copies of my CV and got 2 interviews and 1 job.

madnoel10
10th November 2009, 05:48 PM
One other tip when going to interviews is to gather up all your cerificates of qualifications or training courses you have attended, references, etc. Have them neatly included in a slim professional binder along with copies. During the interview you may be asked about qualifications and you can simply present the folder as evidence - it not only lets the prospective employer see at a glance but it also demonstrates you are organised. The interviewers may wish to retain copies for future reference and in the future if job opportunities arise they may contact you.:)

Whatever you do never lie in your CV - it can come back to haunt you. Put a modest spin on your achievements but always ensure you can back up what you state. Oh and never say you hated school!!:)

RUK_Response
10th November 2009, 08:47 PM
Good luck with this ollyc

You've probably looked at these already but just in case:
You'll find our apprentice scheme here:
http://www.renault.co.uk/about/careers/programme/default.aspx (the recruitment process kicks off in March but you can apply now)

And any general dealership vaccancies are listed here:
http://www.renault.co.uk/about/careers/dealercurrent.aspx

If you're looking at volunteer work you might want to try just phoning a few dealers and offering to help out for free - you might find the experience useful for future applications.

Good luck

David
Renault UK

ollyc
10th November 2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the links, I have applied to renault for an an apprenticeship, will check the other link now :)

RUK_Response
10th November 2009, 08:51 PM
You might need to be creative with your postcode if you're looking to go far afield as it only searches with 25 miles..

ollyc
10th November 2009, 09:05 PM
yeah well I have several postcodes of friends and family I can use to create a wider search area.

freddybabe
10th November 2009, 09:34 PM

Hi Ollyc.

Sorry to hear that Honda lack foresight in not offering you an apprenticeship.

I left school at 15 with absolutely nothing in the way of qualifications, it didn't matter so much in 1968 as there were jobs a plenty.
If you didn't like the job you were doing then you just got another one

My Geography teacher knew the foreman at a Ford main dealer and I got an interview for an "apprenticeship".
The starting pay was the same as I got from doing my morning and evening paper rounds.

I was one of about 12 school-leavers who started at the dealership on the same day.

Over the years I have moved around a bit and worked at a few places doing the same job apart from a 2 year spell as a Snap-On dealer.

What kept me in this trade was having my own business.
I opened it 25 years ago.

It has provided me a comfortable living and a second home in Marbella where I shall be retiring to soon.

So Ollyc, if you do want to mend cars for a living, go get trained up anywhere.

When you have the experience and qualifications then work for yourself, even if it's from a van.

This trade is gonna change beyond all recognition soon.
Electric cars will be part of our lives like it or not, the greasy overalled "fitter" will be consigned to history and wizz kids who can use diagnostic equipment will be in big demand.

Ollyc, I have a Lucas diagnostic scanner. It's a bit last century but it has the Renault module and the correct lead to connect to your Clio.
It will be a good starter for you to learn basic diagnostics on.
Send me your details and I will get it to you.

Not as much fun as a nail gun but I bit more interesting.:d

Pat.w
10th November 2009, 09:40 PM
Forum spirit at its best :)

ollyc
10th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Have sent PM, just to say thanks again :D you guys never know, maybe one day I'll be servicing your renault :p

Definitely more fun than a nail gun, and less likely to attach my finger to my workbench :)

superbiatch
10th November 2009, 09:47 PM
Some really good advice in this thread! Have you ever considered doing some bank work in say local council or NHS? Its something to pay the bills whilst you're waiting for something better to come along.

What skills have you got? Look outside the box here and you might be surprised what you can turn your hand to. Many skills are transferable ;)

ollyc
10th November 2009, 09:52 PM
I have computer skills, welding, brazing, I can ride a motorbike with no front wheel (dunno if that's useful?...), most of my skills are car related. I can read electronic schematics and have built many radios and other simple type circuits.

Sadly I have nothing on paper to prove any of this so I'd need to go to college whatever.

The local branch of timpson are looking for a trainee key cutter. That could lead to becoming a safe technician or similar.

I started this thread for help thinking outside of the box (though I hate that phrase) just ideas of jobs that maybe i've never heard of or thought of trying.

However a lot of the posts have helped me to persue my original goal. I won't give up now.

superbiatch
10th November 2009, 09:55 PM
I have computer skills, welding, brazing, I can ride a motorbike with no front wheel (dunno if that's useful?...), most of my skills are car related. I can read electronic schematics and have built many radios and other simple type circuits.

Sadly I have nothing on paper to prove any of this so I'd need to go to college whatever.

The local branch of timpson are looking for a trainee key cutter. That could lead to becoming a safe technician or similar.

I started this thread for help thinking outside of the box (though I hate that phrase) just ideas of jobs that maybe i've never heard of or thought of trying.

Have you thought about IT? Seems you could have the skills to go in at low level helpdesk maybe? I know you said you don't like people, but most IT peeps don't - so it could be the perfect job ;) Also, you could get some training/qualifications.

ollyc
10th November 2009, 09:59 PM
A lot of people have suggested IT I just feel there's too many people doing it. I have applied for a job that involves upgrading people computers, I do this at home anyway so may as well get paid for it, just gotta wait and see now.

Donald
10th November 2009, 10:22 PM
Hi,

Heres a thought, i have been in the haulage business as a driver for many years and even a trailer fitter in Belfast and if you don't mind getting dirty like a real grease monkey:d have you tried sending or phoning round some haulage company's or truck dealers for an apprenticeship?OK its all going to be diesel and no petrol but lets face it the haulage and track business will be about for many years to come and it can be a well payed,this is how i got my HGV license working as a trailer fitter and i was put through my test hence way i moved on to driving for a living and i have to admit i have never looked back financially when i was driving so that might also give you something else to fall back onto,hope that helps Donald

ollyc
10th November 2009, 10:29 PM
I'll do a google on my local area and see what turns up. Never thought of that, definitely worth a try, thanks.

I wanted an HGV licence but can't due to a medical condition. I also considered off-shore oil rig but the medical condition got in the way again, damn health and saftey, in the good old days they would've just called in the exorcist and let me get on with the rest of my life. (if you don't know why that's funny I have had a few seizures)

Katie-xx
10th November 2009, 11:39 PM
Poor you. I hope you have that under control now Olly.
Good luck with the job search.

ollyc
11th November 2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah I got over it without medication, the DVLA decided I could have a licence so that's all that really matters to me :)

Raystorm
11th November 2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Olly, I'm not sure it IT would be good choice, I got out a few years back, and glad that I did! Most of the jobs that pay well are being outsourced to India, and the ones that are left are quite low level.

ollyc
11th November 2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah that's why I didn't go into it when I left school, not enough jobs, and after 6 months your training is out of date and useless.

Got an email from VT training today asking for my CV so hopefully I'll get an interview at audi, only a 2 hour drive each day lol

Raystorm
11th November 2009, 11:23 AM
Well, I was offered a job at Globecast, a lot more money that what I was on, but it would have been a backwards career move, it would have been shifts and it would have been a 180 mile commute each day! :eek:
Luckily my current place matched the offer, so I didn't have to leave :d

Pat.w
11th November 2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Olly, I'm not sure it IT would be good choice, I got out a few years back, and glad that I did! Most of the jobs that pay well are being outsourced to India, and the ones that are left are quite low level.

You see that Dave.......you're 'low level' :d

dave_mezza2006
11th November 2009, 12:26 PM

Oh I know Pat, only too well ! :o

Pat.w
11th November 2009, 12:29 PM
Awww ........ Dave, don't let em (or me for that matter) grind you down mate :)

dave_mezza2006
11th November 2009, 12:31 PM
Their not mate (and I wont never let you do that :d).

Pat.w
11th November 2009, 12:32 PM
:rofl: :d

Gogslad
11th November 2009, 12:33 PM
but then I am 'celebrating' my 20th year in it next year....celebrating.....yeah,right.:rofl:

20 yrs for me next year too, 9 on these frensh piles of.......

Devils Laguna
11th November 2009, 01:01 PM
I've been doing my"temporary" job for 28 years in January :eek:

Lagdti
11th November 2009, 05:25 PM
20 yrs for me next year too, 9 on these frensh piles of.......

Congratulations.....I think...:rofl:

Raystorm
11th November 2009, 05:33 PM
:oops: Sorry Dave, no offence intended mate! :o

Pat.w
11th November 2009, 06:09 PM
:oops: Sorry Dave, no offence intended mate! :o

Dave's not the sort to take any RS ;)

Just my warped sense of humour couldn't resist :o

madnoel10
11th November 2009, 07:15 PM
Personally I wouldn't knock the motor trade - it has given me the opportunity to provide for my wife and family put my children through university, pay off my mortage, always have a half-decent car at the door, a holiday once a year and now I'm semi-retired a small private pension. Yes it was hard work at times and exhausting but I feel proud of what I have accomplished.:d:d

Yeh it's great to have a passion for what you want to do in life but in many aspects future trends may conflict with your dreams and aspirations. One thing I have learned though is to treat every day as a "learning day" and I have also discovered the greatest barrier to learning and self-improvement is normally oneself but you don't always realise it.:)