: Can't get my generator started...

stef123
5th December 2009, 04:47 PM
hi all,

I was round at the garage this afternoon doing something on the car. its usually quite dark in the garage so i have a couple of halogen lights and a Wolf 1000w(1200W max) generator to power them.
I tried starting the generator as normal and it did fire up for about 30 seconds then started chugging then after another few seconds it died and it will not start what so ever. there isnt even a puff of smoke from the exhaust while trying to start it.
I did think it might be low on fuel so i filled it up but still nothing.
Ive since taken the spark plug out and done the old test where you touch the plug against the engine and crank the engine over but there is no spark! I even borrowed the plug from the lawnmower to try this.
Im absolutely clueless when it comes to generators but i cant see anything obvious.

if anyone could help me out it would be great:d
cheers
stef

stef123
5th December 2009, 05:16 PM
ok forget what i wrote earlier, ive stripped the engine down to get at the thingy that feeds the spark plug from what i presume is the flywheel?:rofl: nice description stef...

but anyway i put it back together and pulled the starter and away it went, so i flicked the switch to the off position but it wont stop running:rofl: so i stuffed the sleeve of my fleece into the air intake to stop it but im a little concerned that it might blow up:rofl:

Ralph
5th December 2009, 07:14 PM
On the back of the on off switch will be 2 wires
one will go to the the engine or its coil depending
on it's set up the other to a earth, when you striped
it you have pulled one of these off or the earth end
of one maybe went to one of the bolts you undid
and have not put back.

stef123
5th December 2009, 08:26 PM
On the back of the on off switch will be 2 wires
one will go to the the engine or its coil depending
on it's set up the other to a earth, when you striped
it you have pulled one of these off or the earth end
of one maybe went to one of the bolts you undid
and have not put back.

i was trying to work out how the system worked and noticed that when the switch is in the 'on' position it cuts continuity. i did have a play around with it but its back to how it was originally and still wont start. not even a puff. im now wondering if the coil is at fault?? if i attempt to start it with the air filter off it gives out short bursts of air? from the intake. im very confused with this lol

cheers
stef

there is an earth coming from inside the motor to the socket then from there it goes to the on off switch and then to the coil.

Ralph
5th December 2009, 08:42 PM
Switching it to off makes the contact and shorts
the ignition, does it feel like it does not have much
compression? if so a few drops of oil down the plug
hole may get it going, could the choke be sticking on
or off? you have had it running it should do so again
new fuel often helps.

stef123
5th December 2009, 08:53 PM
Switching it to off makes the contact and shorts
the ignition, does it feel like it does not have much
compression? if so a few drops of oil down the plug
hole may get it going, could the choke be sticking on
or off? you have had it running it should do so again
new fuel often helps.

it does feel like it has compression, when i pull the starter it does require a good firm pull to turn the engine. it is getting fuel as the plug is always wet. i havent tried any oil down the cylinder yet but might do that tomorow.
ive not had it running again since but it doesnt appear anything is sticking, ive had the spring and linkages off and everything moves freely.
the old fuel probably isnt helping as it has sat around for a little while.

VelSatisfied
5th December 2009, 09:17 PM
My generator has the following (don't know if yours will), but this might prove a reasonable checklist of reasons why it won't fire;

blocked fuel line

fuel tap moved to off position

on/off switch in off position or faulty

low oil level override

Hope some of these help to eliminate & solve the problem.

Paul

stef123
5th December 2009, 09:30 PM
My generator has the following (don't know if yours will), but this might prove a reasonable checklist of reasons why it won't fire;

blocked fuel line

fuel tap moved to off position

on/off switch in off position or faulty

low oil level override

Hope some of these help to eliminate & solve the problem.

Paul

hi paul,

i do appear to be getting fuel as the plug is wet. i was going to get a syringe though and try and push some healthy fuel down the line into the carb tomorow. the fuel tap is definelty in the on position and isnt blocked, i have tested this.
the on off switch appears to be working, ive tested this with a multimeter.
i dont think my model has a low oil override.

the theory i have at the moment is that it isnt sparking. it is also spitting through the air filter. ive just whipped the rocker cover off to inspect the rockers because apparently these are prone to snapping on my model but all seems well and works when i pull the starter. i think its an electrical gremlin thats stopping it from firing and its such a basic little engine the only thing i keep going back to is the coil?

cheers
stef

VelSatisfied
5th December 2009, 09:38 PM
It should also have a fuse to protect the engine from overload (IIRC) - possibly that's blown?

Paul

stef123
5th December 2009, 09:52 PM
It should also have a fuse to protect the engine from overload (IIRC) - possibly that's blown?

Paul

there isnt a fuse as far as im aware. ive even had the end of the motor off to check all the wiring and everything looks fine. im baffled:(

cheers
stef

VelSatisfied
5th December 2009, 10:43 PM
Hmm....

On mine, the wires are joined using spade connectors, have you checked them for continuity?

Might be best to leave this until the morning & sleep on it (not the generator:cool:)...

Paul

stef123
5th December 2009, 11:00 PM
Hmm....

On mine, the wires are joined using spade connectors, have you checked them for continuity?

Might be best to leave this until the morning & sleep on it (not the generator:cool:)...

Paul

only the on/off switch has spade connectors on it the rest are soldered i think.

sounds like a good idea paul. i will give it a fresh dose of petrol in the morning and see how it goes

cheers
stef

tolsen
6th December 2009, 01:25 AM
Which engine and HP? 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

stef123
6th December 2009, 12:04 PM
Which engine and HP? 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

its a Wolf 4 stroke 2.4hp i think.

its been stood over night with the fuel accidentally left switched on, so i gave it a pull and absolutely nothing, a second pull and away it went for 10 seconds.
now its popping occasionally and spitting from the intake. im just about to go get some fresh petrol to give that a go.

cheers
stef

qwakers
6th December 2009, 12:52 PM
it sounds like the timings out...

tolsen
6th December 2009, 12:55 PM
Could you please advise model number for the generator, i.e. WP1500 or something? Are you getting any spark?
Check plug cap. Many of these foreign generators are fitted with a 5K suppressor. Changing that for a standard plug cap might solve the problem. This is particularly common with the Chinese 2 stroke generating sets.

stef123
6th December 2009, 01:34 PM
it sounds like the timings out...

excuse my ignorance but how does the timing work on an OHV engine?

Could you please advise model number for the generator, i.e. WP1500 or something? Are you getting any spark?
Check plug cap. Many of these foreign generators are fitted with a 5K suppressor. Changing that for a standard plug cap might solve the problem. This is particularly common with the Chinese 2 stroke generating sets.

off hand i think its a WP1200. When i took the plug out and earthed the body of it on the generator i couldnt see a spark.

how do i set about changing the plug cap? i have a set of old ht lead, could i use them?

cheers
stef

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/OW_001250/wolf-power-wp1200-full-frame-4-stroke-generator-2-4hp/

stef123
6th December 2009, 02:44 PM
just tried earthing a couple of spark plugs including one from a car and still nothing.

i presume the coil generates a charge when the 'flywheel' passes it? so that really brings it down to a faulty coil or ht lead?

Phaeton
6th December 2009, 02:53 PM
Are you able to pull the starter & keep the plug earthed out at the same time? I found I never could when I couldn't start mine, in the end I got somebody else to hold the plug & found there was a good spark. If it ran this morning for 10 seconds it must be getting some form of spark?

Alan...

stef123
6th December 2009, 02:58 PM
Are you able to pull the starter & keep the plug earthed out at the same time? I found I never could when I couldn't start mine, in the end I got somebody else to hold the plug & found there was a good spark. If it ran this morning for 10 seconds it must be getting some form of spark?

Alan...

i had someone to hold the plug while i was pulling the starter.
thats what i cant work out, every so often it will run for a few seconds then just totally stop and wont do anything

Phaeton
6th December 2009, 03:03 PM
Sounds like a faulty HT lead or a dry connection somewhere.

Alan...