Radio dead [Archive] - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

: Radio dead

tarqs49
1st January 2010, 06:31 PM
The radio on my 56 plate Megane has died. It was during the recent cold snap. The car struggled to start one morning and it hasn't worked since. Also the backlight in the centre console (where the radio stations/clock appear) is on constantly now. Fuse is ok. Help please.

dujec
3rd January 2010, 01:36 AM
I've got exactly the same problem with my Reanult Scenic (year 06) and it happened few days ago. And the clock light drained car batteries in a couple of days.

davidjpowell
3rd January 2010, 03:10 PM
snap in an 07 Espace. Also had a flat battery am. Kwik Fit have diagnosed dead battery at this stage.

Have to see if warranty covers this...

tarqs49
4th January 2010, 08:40 AM
Battery is fine on mine. Although the centre console is always lit it still starts even on the coldest mornings. I'm wondering if the radio has blown inside and short circuited the console.

ianmilli
4th January 2010, 03:14 PM
I have an 07 Megane and my radio was dead on me this morning...is it a fuse perhaps?

tarqs49
4th January 2010, 03:35 PM
Nope fuse is ok

pada1462
4th January 2010, 04:06 PM
This happened to my Wife '06 grand scenic this morning, our local friendly Renault garage (Wests of Clapham, Bedford) fixed it in 10 seconds for free. They simply pulled the radio fuse first and then when that didn't work reset the console by pulling the console fuse.

You will need your radio code to reset, but it fixed the problem. They said if it happens again may need a new radio, basically there is a dry joint somewhere in it and when the cold hits it that hard (it was -8C this morning) it causes a failure.

Hope it helps

Paul

ianmilli
4th January 2010, 04:08 PM
It seems like rather a coincidence that the radio in both of our cars dies on possibly the coldest day of the winter to date. I might change the fuse just in case but I can't remember the last time I had to mess with fuses on my car.

tarqs49
4th January 2010, 04:15 PM
You're right and from the limited research I've done it seems to have happened to a fair few, although no solutions yet. I did check and change the fuse first though with no luck

pada1462
4th January 2010, 04:42 PM
Actual fuse that reset the system was the 20A fuse marked "Coupe Conso". Yes there were a few radios that died this morning acocording to the garage guy I spoke to tonight.

Paul

wazza99
4th January 2010, 04:48 PM
Hi folks, just thought i could add to this thread.

As per my other post about the resistor+wiring melting on the heater, couldnt believe it this morning when on way to dealer for said repair the radio went dead !!

Little bit of research throws up cold seems to be the problem, also it seems it causes the temp and clock to stay on when you get out and lock the car.

Anyway in my case and as others have said temp fix seems to be disconnect power to the radio for a few mins, i also warmed mine up with a hairdryer ! re-connect, enter code and it's all fixed.Including the temp and time now going off correctly.

Why the two are linked i do not know, but i know when i disconnected the yellow plug from back of radio, which i assume is the display/remote control wire the temp/time went off, they do share the same piece of display ?

I think in my case perhaps having no heater working in the car since Xmas eve may have made the problem occur combined with -5 degrees this morning.

Did the hairdryer help ? dunno, but if it goes again i'll be doing both steps.

Hope this helps

Rodrigo
4th January 2010, 06:01 PM
Evening all.

I also had this problem this morning (-5C) and had been racking my brains all day trying to work it out. Had tried the 15A radio fuse with no luck.

Thanks to pada1462 and the Renault garage I tried the same thing and having took out the "Coupe Conso" 20A fuse and replaced it, then put in the code, my radio now works.

Very grateful to this forum and the advice on it.

Now I am wondering if it is going to be a regular thing as its -5C outside already and its only 19:00.

Cheers
Rod
:d

regie
4th January 2010, 07:38 PM
Your friendly Renault dealer is not helping you long term I can assure you to fix for this condition is a new radio unit and is covered by a technical note 4800A It is covered under warranty up to 7 years. The fault with the radio is a software fault that stops the radio from functioning but all the earth and power feeds are all present and correct the fault sometimes causes the radio display to fuction with the ignition off and flattens the battery. If your friendly Renault dealer knew what they were doing they would replace the radio!!!

RichClio197
4th January 2010, 07:50 PM
also my clio 2007 197 radio dead fuse is ok, where is the 20 amp console fuse the console with temp and time are still displayed please can some one help

davidjpowell
4th January 2010, 07:55 PM
Your friendly Renault dealer is not helping you long term I can assure you to fix for this condition is a new radio unit and is covered by a technical note 4800A It is covered under warranty up to 7 years. The fault with the radio is a software fault that stops the radio from functioning but all the earth and power feeds are all present and correct the fault sometimes causes the radio display to fuction with the ignition off and flattens the battery. If your friendly Renault dealer knew what they were doing they would replace the radio!!!

Thanks for this. This sounds remarkably similar to my symptoms. I'll print and ask them to consider as my local dealer would take years to get that far....

regie
4th January 2010, 07:58 PM
Just disconnect the radio or the battery will go flat. No music is better than no car. It is probably the radio that is causing it.

davidjpowell
4th January 2010, 08:01 PM
Just disconnect the radio or the battery will go flat. No music is better than no car. It is probably the radio that is causing it.

I have no music anyway. Will leave the radio alone though as the car is still in warranty, just and don't want them to have any wriggle room, given other problems that are developing.

Car is in overnight tomorrow night, so plenty of time to get AA out, again, if necessary.

regie
4th January 2010, 08:20 PM
Just remember that the RAC and AA are very busy at the moment so be prepared to wait. Or call them now and get them to disconnect the radio and return to your Dealer.
Regards,
Regie

davidjpowell
4th January 2010, 08:29 PM
This I know nodding wisely, having called them yesterday and today. Their fault diagnosis is clearly working well.

Renault Customer Services had to get involved due to a up when a dealer forgot to put on the extra year of AA Assistance. They thought the car was going to be recovered to a dealer, but the AA chap contented himself with starting the car, but not really getting involved with diagnosis.

Assuming that it's flat again in the morning hopefully they will just recover automatically this time.

I can manage without the car for a couple of days, but it's getting a bit tedious now.

regie
4th January 2010, 08:35 PM
O.K. but constant discharge of the battery causes the lead plates to wear and possibility of suphating (reduced capacity) thusly premature wear

regie
4th January 2010, 08:38 PM
I only got 2 years AA cover with my car from Renault but got free joint cover on my wifes policy which gave me 3 years

srob030869
4th January 2010, 09:01 PM
mine went off 21/12 and renault dealer has said the replacement radio is chargeable.

Its an 06 plate Scenic, temp was -5 when I started the engine, radio off, when I stopped the engine clock and temp were still lit up. Stood unused for 36 hours and when i went to start it battery was flat.

AA came and jump started the car and diagnosed faulty battery and offered to replace, which I refused.

Drove to dealer and got a lend of the radio keys to disconnect radio, as they couldn't look at the car till after Christmas.

With no radio car has been starting fine since. Dealer wants me to pay to replace it.

davidjpowell
4th January 2010, 09:07 PM
I only got 2 years AA cover with my car from Renault but got free joint cover on my wifes policy which gave me 3 years

Renault have a deal going (or did anyway) that if you had a service done in the 2nd year they would give you the third year Renault Assistance for free.

It would have been helpful if the dealer had done something about it, but can't have everything!

I have a feeling this also runs for later years also...

hondo
4th January 2010, 09:13 PM
Is this it? :)

http://www.carpages.co.uk/renault/renault-four-for-free-23-10-05.asp

russandsian
4th January 2010, 09:17 PM
Firstly, may I thank you for the finest 5 pages of information.
Have just spent the last hour joining this forum for a problem that we were faced with......I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS......only that they can dent your pockets.......In a perverse way so glad that it was not only our car that decided that radio 1 is crap and was not playing today.....but the ruddy lights staying on had us both panicking...even to the point of putting the blame on each other for doing something wrong........as its always my fault and after I spent 25 sodding min getting the ice off the screen....-11 in wales this morn.....hope the battery lasts until tomorrow look out Renault....thanks to you all once again...

srob030869
5th January 2010, 06:24 AM

You don't have a copy of this technical note we can hit the Renault dealers with do you?

ianmilli
5th January 2010, 06:48 AM
I got my radio going again by disconnecting the 20A fuse as suggested above. But, just to be clear, are we saying that this might fix the problem short-term but cause the battery to drain - or that it can mean the radio doesn't switch itself off automatically in future - or neither? I would really like a copy of the technical note too.

tarqs49
5th January 2010, 08:32 AM
Paul you are a diamond. Worked perfect. Taking out the Coupe Consul fuse and reseating it solved the problem. All working again.

davidjpowell
5th January 2010, 08:40 AM
Not sure my car will be going to dealer tonight after all. It started today, but as other half will not drive in white stuff, I would have issue getting home!

RichClio197
5th January 2010, 09:54 AM
where is the 20 amp fuse for console is it in the fuse box near the steering wheel or under the bonnet somewhere

davidjpowell
5th January 2010, 10:58 AM
You don't have a copy of this technical note we can hit the Renault dealers with do you?

Hopefully it is attached.

**Please note that the distribution of copyright material is a breach of forum rules**

tarqs49
5th January 2010, 11:04 AM
On the Megane it is in the fuse box in the glove box but may be under the steering wheel in your car marked Coupe conso

srob030869
5th January 2010, 11:20 AM
Hopefully it is attached.

Thanks, I will get in touch with the dealer and ask them about this

hondo
5th January 2010, 12:32 PM
Well I must be the lucky one, this morning I used the car for the first time in 7 days, with the temperature down on minus 5.

The car started at the very first touch of the button, and the radio was just fine. :) :driving:

Laura32129
5th January 2010, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know which number/ amp fuse operates the radio in a Clio 56?

Thanks

russandsian
5th January 2010, 05:44 PM
:d Well, well....walking around the place as if wearing memory foam hush-puppies:crazy: up like a lark, out to see if the street time piece(well the clock was on for all to see):crazy:first press hayyyy presto bruummm, ok the boy is getting to school:d the wife rings" renault swansea".. up, armed with the knowledge we got from you guys, car booked in for friday......the cost 90.00.....over my dead body, head in the glove box looking for the fuse box with much tutting I got the now "famous"fuse out and back in like a true pro, s@<hidden>@<hidden> the lights gone out and as if by magic.... after reading the hand book to re-set the clock (told you all I knew nothing about cars) sorting out the radio...............:crazy::crazy::crazy: the jobs a good one just the subject of a new radio to address from renault ....ho and 90 thay owe me for fixing my car:loser:

thank a million
next week i`m going to tackle checkng the oil:crazy:

travis02
5th January 2010, 06:50 PM
First post on this site. I'd just like to thank all concerned for solving the radio fault for me.
I just googled to see if anyone else had a similar radio fault. I didn't realise I was a member of an exclusive club of duff radio owners.
Strictly speaking my vehicle is actually a Nissan variant of the Renault Trafic but seems to make little difference. My radio stopped working when the cold weather came.
I removed the main fuse with the battery symbol, refitted it, set off the alarm!, removed the fuse again!, scratched my head for a few minutes and when I put the fuse back again I got the "code" message back and no alarm, hooray!
As I spend all day driving my van it has been a very long couple of days without my radio.
Thanks all :d

wozzer59
5th January 2010, 07:04 PM
Same problem yesterday with my 56 plate scenic. Does anyone know if this is a design fault on the radio and is it replaceable at renault expense.:confused:

davidjpowell
5th January 2010, 07:19 PM
Renault have a technical bulletin (see earlier in the thread) and it looks to me like they will replace units up to 7 years old.

The bulletin says that they have to go through the fault procedure so I would be reluctant to reset the radio on the basis that this means they cannot verify the fault and depending on how difficult they like to be (very if they are like the dealers that I use), they may just argue that the radio is not presenting the symptoms to them.

wozzer59
5th January 2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks I will give it a go. Do we have a copy of the technical wording etc.:forehead:

davidjpowell
5th January 2010, 07:38 PM
I've got it, but had not thought of copyright issues - it's been taken down (sorry mods).

westie666
6th January 2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks Folks,

Had the same issue with the wife's 56 megane.
She thought I had broken it. Taking the 20A fuse out worked a treat.
Small panic when I could not find the radio code, but not working fine.

Cheers

wozzer59
6th January 2010, 09:12 AM
Daft question, where do I find the magical 20amp fuse in a 56 plate scenic and what colour is it.:confused:

regie
6th January 2010, 09:25 AM
Back of the glovebox flip down panel yellow fuse

dandandan
6th January 2010, 12:20 PM
Amazing, I've had exactly the same problem since Monday, tried changing the 15a radio fuse, but didn't work, centre console light still on. Was thinking of changing the 20a console fuse as well, just to see if it might reset everything, nice to confirm it with other users. Hope my battery hasn't drained by the time I get home to do it tonight.

Dan.

zoe1612
6th January 2010, 12:29 PM
I have this same problem.have changed fuse and got new battery.Garage reset radio when it was changed but car is now not starting and radio dead again

RichClio197
6th January 2010, 01:25 PM
where is that 20 amp fuse I have a clio 197 and the only fuses I can find are left of the steering wheel low down where is it the console fuse help its driving me barmy thanks

davidjpowell
6th January 2010, 01:33 PM
From the way it reads, the fuse is only a quick fix. The proper fix is a new radio, which it looks like Renault will do if it is less than 7 years old.

Rodrigo
6th January 2010, 05:23 PM
An update from me.
The radio was dead again this morning (as expected from further comments on this thread) so I rang my local Renault Dealer about it.
They asked how old the Megane was and I said 3 and a half years.
They then said that they have an out of warranty recall for this fault and I need to book it in to be done. I have done so for next week and will let you know how I get on but I have been told it is a free replacement.

Rod

PS Luckily for me I don't have the display staying on fault (yet) so battery is OK.

wozzer59
6th January 2010, 06:45 PM
Took mine into Lookers Altrincham and identified generic fault with radio. Waiting for replacement radio they say 2-3 weeks, however current radio now working. Thanks for all the tips and help received on the forum.:sunny:

russandsian
6th January 2010, 07:38 PM
:d ok thought I would give renault Swansea a ring today, as to inform them that I (after some fantastic advice.....and all free of charge) had fixed the saga of the "its off and its on" dash board stiumathinggy.
And was ringing to cancel the 11 oclock appointment with the machanic.....I then asked about the situation, as this was now turning into a far more gripping story than any plot ,the soaps on the box:rant:are running at the moment.....I was told keep your appointment "he" the boss would remove the radio take note of the numbers on the side.......if my radio has the same numbers then I would FREE of charge get a new radio as there IS a problem with this type of radio and Renault are very aware of this......happy days

note* wonder if the numbers on the inside of the wifes knickers had the same promise:crazy:

Mick3849
7th January 2010, 09:03 AM
Hi thanks for all this been scratching my head for a couple of days now with this same prob on my 56 Megane 1.5 DCi checked fuse etc was going to try the hair dryer next, the wifes not mine!!! But I will be trying this at lunchtime when I can get out to the car. Left it sitting over Xmas for 2 weeks, started first time but radio dead so hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks very much.

davidjpowell
7th January 2010, 02:43 PM
Success I think. Renault have decided that my radio is at fault, and are replacing it. Only having to wait until Saturday as well which is a bonus.

regie
7th January 2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah but the snow could stop the delivery of your new radio!!

davidjpowell
7th January 2010, 07:03 PM
Quite possibly. Am getting rather peeved with the white stuff now.

geezerone
8th January 2010, 11:53 PM
Stumbled across this interesting thread as a few days ago I tried the radio which (for the first time ever) showed the words "code". After much faffing about put the code in and all was fine until two days later and now the radio won't power on at all!

I don't want to try the dash fuse if it removes the fault symptoms but are we saying that the faulty radio that is replaced under and extended 7 year warranty by Renault HAS to leave the dash display on or flatten the battery?

If it is a matter of the radio not turning on is it still a warranty job?

Finally, it the fault a software one in the radio? Seems weird but only a few days before did I get a recall carried out which the dealer wasn't sure but thinks it was something to do with injection computer. :confused:

regie
9th January 2010, 12:50 AM
The radio does not always put/leave the dash display on but if the radio does then it flattens the battery (the radio tries to power up the accessories feed). The problem is the software makes it impossible for the radio to function correctly without a reset. The fault genrally occurs in cold weather which is probably why there are so many posts here recently. The manufacturer covers this fault under warranty for approximately 7 years but is solely dependant on a list of fabrication numbers (against mines type)in Technical note 4800A.
The warranty recall is probably for an injection computer reprogramme for a software change which gives the engine management computer an added function. This function is to allow the engine management computer to switch off the air conditioning computer if the compressor load is too high and stops the accessories belt from breaking.

regie
9th January 2010, 01:02 AM
Mines type is the vehicle type and has a direct relationship to the vehicle derivitive for example:- JA05 is the mines type of a Megane Scenic 1 phase 2. from this the manufacturer knows J = MPV A = Megane and 05 = Engine type. I think that is correct!!
When you attatch a Mines type to a Fabrication number that pinpoints the date of manufacture acurately so they know when the car was built.

Just a thought Mines type used to be called Oval plate number.

Please do not post Mines type and Fabrication number as this can be used to access the vehicle details and possibly the registration number.

geezerone
9th January 2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks

Where would you find the mines type and out of interest if the radio is replaced would there be any additional functionality (e.g. MP3 playback)?

I presume taking the 15A fuse for the radio would stop any chance of flat battery.

regie
9th January 2010, 02:11 AM
The mines type of your car is on the "B" pillar on the drivers side its a sticker on the door shut. it is 4 letters/Numbers for example JM1E the the next 7 digits to the right is the Fabrication number which will start with a letter then 6 numbers or 2 letters then 5 numbers. The first letter Of the Fabrication number is where it was made.
No the radio spec will not change you will get like for like and the dealer will probably want to confirm the fault as warranty are a jobsworth department. If the radio is found to be O.K. then the dealer is charged for it!!

The only way to stop the battery going flat is to disconnect the battery or unplug the radio. The radio has 2 fuses they can be removed but the fuses on Scenic II are in the glovebox and are a pain in the A*** to remove and replace I do not know which ones!!

davidjpowell
9th January 2010, 10:44 AM
Well they have replaced my radio, but have now decided that the battery is dead also.

I was told that it was under warranty for 3 years by customer services, who educated the dealer earlier in the week. Unfortunately the service girl who was told how to use the system is not there today and neither are the Customer Service Managers. Have to revisit that argument on Monday.

In any case the Renault dealer don't keep battery's in stock. So I have to wait until Monday so that they can order one.

Car's going to be off the road for 6 days which is frustrating.

regie
9th January 2010, 12:28 PM
There's always something nothing is ever straight forward did they not offer you a courtesy car?

davidjpowell
9th January 2010, 03:22 PM
Nope no courtesy car. I did kind of drop in on them on Wednesday after the AA would not recover the car and suggested that they give me a lift home, which they did.

One car last week was not a problem, but next week is. It's a shame that they did not check the battery the same time as the radio, and even more of a shame that in Winter a main dealer cannot stock a battery for a Espace, athough I've even had to wait for them to order discs in.

Cars :(

Happy Crow
10th January 2010, 01:56 PM
My radio would not work after the cold snap, like many other people on this thread. I followed the advice that people have posted - to disconnect the 20A 'Coupe Cons' fuse and then replace it after a few minutes - and it worked perfectly, so thanks to everyone for that!

One small note - when entering the stereo security code, I noticed the instructions in the manual were incorrect for my car (56 Megane). You must use the buttons marked 1-4 to enter the code digits, then press and hold button 6 to submit it.

The only way to stop the battery going flat is to disconnect the battery or unplug the radio. The radio has 2 fuses they can be removed but the fuses on Scenic II are in the glovebox and are a pain in the A*** to remove and replace I do not know which ones!!

Will the battery continue to run down, even after I've removed and then replaced the 20A 'Coupe Cons' fuse?

EamonnK
10th January 2010, 07:13 PM
The double Radio & Coup Con fuse solution worked for me so thanks to all the posters :d

Mr Clio
11th January 2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the tips here. The radio in my '06 Clio died during the cold snap & was out for a few weeks. I finally removed it to check cabling etc... which were fine.

The unit was disconnected for a couple of hours.

When I reconnected the unit, it returned to life, asking me to enter the code.

I now have a fully working radio again although I'm going to drop into Renault to get it checked & replaced if it turns out to be a recall model.

I had previously disconnected the Radio/Clock.Lighter fuse but perhaps the long duration it was disconnected reset the radio.

Regards

Nick

chipmonster
11th January 2010, 05:26 PM
told today by renault that all renaults have a system where if it is too cold the radio shuts itself down we had -12 and the best thing is to either take it to your local dealer /let them look at it or unplug it at the back reconnect --and --enter --code --hope this helps ..ours did the same 07 megane light was on but nothing happening

garrymoore2k2
12th January 2010, 03:26 PM
same thing happened here, got it booked in to the local renault garage tomorrow, how much should i expect to be charged for them to fix it? really frustrating not having any tunes to listen to!

caroline1309
12th January 2010, 05:34 PM
my 56 megane is exactly the same.

when i started it during the very cold weather the stereo was dead. there does not seem to be any power getting to it at all. it is not the fuse and i cannot figure out what is wrong with it.:confused:
it looks like it is quite a common fault with the renaults but i am demented without my music:devil: so any possible solutions would be very :loser:welcome.

regie
12th January 2010, 05:54 PM
Caroline learn to sing nicely. Please can you all Remember the dealers will want to see the radios in a failed state as it is the only way this fault can be confirmed.
It is absolute rubbish about the radio's shut down when the weather is cold however they do shut down when they get too hot
Regards,
regie

tarqs49
12th January 2010, 06:36 PM
Caroline read the whole thread. The solution is there for you

caroline1309
12th January 2010, 08:45 PM
ok. i confess. i am a bit of a technofobe. i only read the first page cos i didnt realise that there were loads more:crazy:
It is too dark for me to do anything just now but i hope to get up and running tomorrow:d.
Have only just noticed that my info light is staying on, (but wasnt looking for it before). so im kind of assuming that it has been on for the last 8 days (since stereo died on me), and hoping that my battery will be ok in the morning?? (possibly not, but thats what breakdown cover is for):o
I will try my luck with Renault first of all, but going with previous experience will probably not have much luck, so may have to do this quick fix which I am confident will work. Thanks

cmoo
13th January 2010, 04:31 PM
drive a 06 megane, just left dealer and although out of warranty renault will replace radio free. There is a backlog of orders so will take couple of weeks.,a chip in the radio is suspect at low temperatures. also there is a software update recall on these motors.

Rodrigo
13th January 2010, 05:04 PM
A further update from me.
I was due to take the Megane (06 plate 1.5dci) in to the dealer yesterday however the radio was fine so I rang them to ask if I should still bring it in. (Not wanting to be charged and all that)
They said no need as they had checked the code for my radio from their records and it would definitely need a new one replaced free of charge under warranty.
They were apologetic that this may take some time as there was a back order on radios!!
They will call me when it comes in and its a 5 minute while you wait job to replace it.

There were no quibbles at all and I was well impressed with their attitude and service.

Cheers
Rod

PS My radio continues to work OK (it failed twice so far) and with no dash lights coming on to flatten the battery - fingers crossed, touch wood etc.

hondo
13th January 2010, 05:07 PM
Nice one Rodrigo :)

Thank you very much for the feedback :)

geezerone
16th January 2010, 05:11 PM
My radio was dead but the dealer has ordered one in (apparently 40 on order) from France. They must have reset something as radio now working but theu said 7 days for radio to arrive.

Not music to my ears! :o

regie
16th January 2010, 05:26 PM
Just be mindful of the fact that the radio can flatten the battery. You should be O.K. if the weather stays warm!!

mandy4727
31st January 2010, 12:56 PM
I have had the same problem with my 56 Clio twice now. First time took it back to Renault as still under warranty. Temp went down to -8 last winter. Okay since. But happened again over Christmas when temp went down to -13. Not been back to renault with it yet. It is the same as everyone says. No power at all to radio but centre time and temp gauge stays on all the time with engine off. Please can you tell me where the elusive 20A Coupe Consul fuse is on a 56 Clio. There are 3 20A fuses at side of steering wheel but they are just the general ones I think. In the back of glove box looks to be a little trap door but you can't open it at all. Please help, lost without my radio!! Thanks in advance.

davidjpowell
31st January 2010, 12:59 PM
Renault will fix will replace faulty units for up to 7 years, but if you reset the fault they will not be able to confrim it.

You are better putting up with it till they can have a look.

JONATHAN ABBOTT
31st January 2010, 01:07 PM
Having same problem pulled out 15amp radio fuse then back screen heater and air con not working now - re set panel with pulling out 20amp coupe con fuse now all working but will this now drain the battery yet again like before - going into garage next week need as much info as possible understand that radio is covered by a 7 year warrantry - have you copy of tech 4800a.

geezerone
31st January 2010, 05:35 PM
The cold snap has again reset the radio and still no stock in at Renault dealer. Has anyone got the radio replaced recently?

The 4800A doc is copyright protected so can't be passed on here.

davidjpowell
31st January 2010, 05:39 PM
I had my radio replaced recently, and also the battery as it took that with it. Had no problem with the radio, one or two issues with the battery.

regie
31st January 2010, 07:18 PM
My Mate said he has had 2 orders come in on friday but there is several different types of this radio its called "NR" which means New radio also it is called "tuner list" and is made by VDO Dayton.

gc6767
19th February 2010, 09:15 AM
Just want to say thanks for all the posts I've read. Took my scenic to garage yesterday & they confirmed it's a known fault in radio which flattens battery, so they will replace radio free of charge. They have disconnected the radio so battery can't be drained, while I wait for radio to be fitted (bit of backlog in France I think) Just a pity I bought a new battery when the same thing happenend on the first day of the year! I have emailed Renault with my concerns about their lack of publicising this fault and await their response.

itsonlyshell
7th March 2010, 01:56 PM
Is the only way to fix this for the long run to take it back to the dealer? Does it have to be a renault garage, cause i bought mine from arnold clark. Sorry for all the questions, this is my first car been driving the parents car for past 2 years:cool:lol.

gc6767
7th March 2010, 04:53 PM
Took my car to Arnold Clark as nearest Renault dealer (tho' didn't buy it from them) and radio has now been replaced. Incidentally was sent cheque from Renault to cover cost of replacment battery so v v happy :d

regie
7th March 2010, 10:33 PM
If you want it done free then yes a Renault dealer is your only option unless you can find someone to pay the 279.00 (average cost) for the part and the 20.00 labour!!

scouserjax
8th March 2010, 12:57 PM
I have today joined your forum after having my radio and battery die on my twice this year! Its only last night that I noticed the time and temperature gauge was on and low and behold this morning my battery was dead. When it happened the first time my Renault Dealer checked the battery and charged me 80 for the pleasure, but never mentioned once that the battery problem could have been caused by the radio, even though I had mentioned that the radio had died the day before. I am now currently waiting for my radio to be replaced (have been told that a wait of ten to twelve weeks is likely) and I will go home tonight (by bus!) and try taking the fuses out and putting them back in as suggested by previous posts. I will also be contacting Renault about a refund on the 80 charge and a possible free battery - wish me luck!

Meganewolves
8th March 2010, 06:03 PM
Radio Dead this morning after a cold night, this is the second time this has happened, the first time it started working again. No fuses blown, any ideas ?

Meganewolves
8th March 2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks, removing the 20a coupe conso fuse has put the power back to the radio, why does the cold weather do this ?

tarqs49
8th March 2010, 08:35 PM
Radio dead again this morning after another cold night. Phoned Renault this time and it's going in on Thursday

regie
8th March 2010, 09:09 PM
If the radio dies in cold weather remove the power plug from the radio then the radio can not discharge the battery. O.K. so you will not be able to use the radio but at least you can use the car!!

scouserjax
9th March 2010, 06:52 PM
Just to update everyone on my previous post. Managed to jump start the car and when the engine was turned off and the door was locked I saw that the temp and clock were still showing on the dashboard. Went to have a look at the fuses and the fuse box won't open properly. It seems to be stuck on the left hand side and it will not open at all! Got my brother to try and he managed to pull out the yellow fuse and an orange one as well (does anyone know what the orange fuse does?) but this did not solve the problem with the radio. After another night with the lights showing on the dashboard I was lucky and the car started first time in the morning. Took it to my Renault dealer and all they offered to do was disconnect the radio completely and this has sorted out the dashboard problem. When I asked if they could open my fuse box and put them back in their place I was told that there was no-one available that could help me and I would need to book it in - very helpful!! I have decided to wait until my new radio turns up and will then get them to sort out everything in one go as "service" is showing up on the dash when its only just had one and my windows have gone funny! Any suggestions about how to open the fuse box without breaking it and how to get a diagram of which fuse is which would be very helpful. Thanks.

tarqs49
13th March 2010, 04:28 PM
Took it to Renault dealer on Thursday. Confirmed it is a faulty radio covered by the recall. They got it working again and a new radio is on order. Happy days!!!!

wozzer59
15th March 2010, 11:49 AM
Has anybody received the replacement radio yet from Renault. Is it the same make and model or do you get an upgrade. I have been wwiting nearlt three months now. They say that there is a big demand.:confused:

graemefw
2nd April 2010, 08:47 AM
Hi i am a new member with the same problem which i have cured . Thread is below
Recently the radio on my 07 scenic stopped working and about a week later the battery was flat.I phoned a local renault dealer as the car was still in warranty.After a discussion with the service manager who could not book the car in until the following week he told me that they were snowed under with this fault , Due to the extreme cold weather( i live in scotland), the radio stopped working and drained the battery.Solution was to remove radio ,disconnect all wires from radio for 15 seconds, reconnect. Problem solved,I also purchased the radio removal tool from e bay for 99p.

regie
2nd April 2010, 12:53 PM
Hi i am a new member with the same problem which i have cured . Thread is below
Recently the radio on my 07 scenic stopped working and about a week later the battery was flat.I phoned a local renault dealer as the car was still in warranty.After a discussion with the service manager who could not book the car in until the following week he told me that they were snowed under with this fault , Due to the extreme cold weather( i live in scotland), the radio stopped working and drained the battery.Solution was to remove radio ,disconnect all wires from radio for 15 seconds, reconnect. Problem solved,I also purchased the radio removal tool from e bay for 99p.

As with so many people the disconnect the radio/battery is not a solution it will happen again.The solution is a replacement radio!!

tarqs49
8th June 2010, 10:52 AM
Finally had my new radio fitted this morning. Here's hoping that is the end of the problem!!!!

andytees
28th January 2012, 07:46 AM
I know this is an ancient long old thread and the problem is still a common one...same thing ditto above with radio simply dying in the below freezing temperatures overnight on the driveway, and the battery bit by bit dying thereafter. (07 reg Scenic 1.6 btw)

BIG thanks to the helpful and knowledgeable folk at the very beginning of this thread. Removing and replacing the Coupe Console fuse solved the problem short term, then got onto the Renault UK who confirmed there is a known problem with insufficient insulation on a batch of all model Renault radios from around the time, and they had it in within a week to my local dealer to replace the radio, to hopefully solve the problem long term. Good customer service all round actually, but not before I had got to the root of the problem via this forum...cheers.

Chris Wicks
29th July 2012, 01:55 PM
I have 08 Clio 1.5DCi. Very hot here is Greece and will be back in UK in a few months. Radio dead. Radio fuse OK. Can't find a con coupe fuse but pulled all 20 amps and replaced them.. Will have to wait return to UK I think. Our main dealer in Volos who serviced it last week checked it out... I might try the radio recall idea but here in Greekyland I doubt much success.

regie
29th July 2012, 03:06 PM
If you disconnect the battery this is the same as pulling the fuse leave disconnected for 3 minutes and re-connect the radio should work. If it does not work then it is probably not the same fault.
Hope thi helps
Regie

Chris Wicks
30th July 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks for this. I tried it, but no luck. Then I called in at the main dealer in Volos who after checking the car radio said it was not applicable to the 4800A advice note. Shame! The odd thing is the battery went flat unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago and has been replaced with a new one. Since then the radio is caput. Fuse ok power to radio ok. Perhaps it has just melted inside with the heat!!

Can any one tell me of a reasonable replacement (radio CD) that will enable the seering wheel controls and the dashboard display to continue working.... We just want to hear a bit of music nothing fancy so up to around 100 and with an MP3 plug

madnoel10
30th July 2012, 02:28 PM
The radio has two fused circuits - have you checked both fuses?

regie
30th July 2012, 03:06 PM
The radio has an overheat software mechanism built in if you remove the radio and cool it down refit it it may come back on. You will have to code it but it is worth a shot!!