: Steering Locked/Steering Unlocked

J6NTH
12th February 2010, 01:44 PM
I have the following fault, You insert the Key card etc and press the button. Nothing happens no noise, just the following message scrolling across the screen, "STEERING LOCKED STEERING UNLOCKED".
I have read all the Theads and replies to this problem, I can't find an answer.

I believe the Electronic Steering Lock is at Fault. All I want to know is can I replace this unit or does it need programming to the car as its controlled by the operation of the immobilizer & uch.

I've been quoted 307 for the unit

Car - Megane 1.5Dci (80)

chill1923
12th February 2010, 01:59 PM
Happened to my car last year only mine read steering loacked consult handbook. Renault fitted a new steering lock to fix it at a cost of 324+VAT if I remember correctly. I've heard from a mate that you can just change the chip over to another steering lock that way it won't need re-programmed but i'm not sure!!

J6NTH
19th February 2010, 09:24 AM
Happened to my car last year only mine read steering loacked consult handbook. Renault fitted a new steering lock to fix it at a cost of 324+VAT if I remember correctly. I've heard from a mate that you can just change the chip over to another steering lock that way it won't need re-programmed but i'm not sure!!

Dear All

Just to updated my fellow RenaultForum Members.
I decieded to just Bite the Bullet :crazy:and put my Megane into the Local/Nearest Renault Dealer (Arnold Clark).
4 days later :confused:(should of been 1 day but the wrong part was sent to the Dealer???).
I'm now 399.09 lighter:eek:.

ps : to Chill1923, thank you for your reply.