: Renault Clio Tailgate Latch

Sez04
18th June 2010, 04:44 PM
Hi, have a renault clio 2002 and the rear boot locking mechanism will not close so need to order a new latch but where can I get one of these from?
regards
Sarah

Ralph
18th June 2010, 04:59 PM
Do you mean it does not lock when you press
the key fob or it does not stay down ie it wont stay
shut, if it is that it does not lock with the key fob
then a new lock is about 40 from Renault but
there are I am told 2 differing kinds.

Sez04
18th June 2010, 05:02 PM
Hi, It won't lock when you push it down, it's not the key fob. We have been to garage and they told us it's the tailgate mechanism is broken.

regards
Sarah

Ralph
18th June 2010, 05:05 PM
Ha right sorry don't know how much that would be
you could ring a Renault dealer and ask if its expensive
a scrap yard may have one.

Razza1
25th June 2010, 09:37 PM
My wife's 2007 Clio, which we bought about 3 weeks ago, no has an issue where the boot won't open. Using the key fob the indicator lights flash, but you press the button and nothing.

I've managed to open it by going through the boot from the rear seats, and when checking the mechanism there's a few bits of plastic in there, but can't see where they've come from.

Any ideas?

Ralph
25th June 2010, 10:02 PM
Don't know if this helps but that's what is in my Clio
the little motor burns out and unless you can find a
motor you have to get the lot from Renault about 40

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee111/G7ied/CAR/DSCF1608.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee111/G7ied/CAR/DSCF1607.jpg

Razza1
25th June 2010, 10:05 PM
Cheers, that little motor looks very similar to toy kit cars I had when younger...they were only a few quid...hmmm ebay....

Ralph
26th June 2010, 09:12 AM
Yes its just a 12v motor Marlins do one looks
just the same same make I think but just a little
smaller it may be worth taking it to a model shop
see if they have one, 6 instead of 40 let us know
if you do.

chris3343
6th October 2010, 04:42 PM
my wifes clio electric boot lock faulty phoned renault dealer quote 64+vat looking for breaker in north west for second hand one

chris3343
6th October 2010, 04:47 PM
how would you get the little electric motor out of its fitting looks like its fixed in?

chris3343
6th October 2010, 05:06 PM
just got the little eletric motor out ,its held in by the grey plastic part were the push connector fits on theres 2 small lugs either side just squeeze them inwards:d, just push motor out from bottom,now down to model shop tommorow

Ralph
6th October 2010, 07:14 PM
If you cant get one from a model shop some one was selling them on Evil bay a few months back search for something like Clio lock motor.

1953bloke
5th December 2011, 04:02 AM
I have the same problem so may be able to offer some help.

My tailgate (Renaultsport Clio MkII 2002) was locked and the push button would not open it. By folding down the back seats you can climb through and with a flat screwdriver there is a spring flap that can be levered up to unlock the tailgate. Of course when you shut it it locks again.

This is what you do next....open the tailgate and take of the plastic trim- there is just one scree to undo and then it is press studs. This reveals the mechanism. Dont mix the rear wiper up with the boot lock. Youll see the boot lock has three 10mm nuts attaching it.

As a temporary fix try the following- disconnect the battery and reconnect (make sure you know your radio code before trying this)

Try again on the key- if still no response try pushing on the end of the bit that moves in and out- there is a spring on the end of this. Push this in and out a few times. When I did this I could then open the tailgate from outside- i.e. the push button on the tailgate now opens when manually pressed (there is no key on this model)

Next I am going to remove the mechanism and look inside to see what's going on.

I'll complete this later...

1953bloke
5th December 2011, 06:38 AM
I have the same problem so may be able to offer some help.

My tailgate (Renaultsport Clio MkII 2002) was locked and the push button would not open it. By folding down the back seats you can climb through and with a flat screwdriver there is a spring flap that can be levered up to unlock the tailgate. Of course when you shut it it locks again.

This is what you do next....open the tailgate and take of the plastic trim- there is just one scree to undo and then it is press studs. This reveals the mechanism. Dont mix the rear wiper up with the boot lock. Youll see the boot lock has three 10mm nuts attaching it.

As a temporary fix try the following- disconnect the battery and reconnect (make sure you know your radio code before trying this)

Try again on the key- if still no response try pushing on the end of the bit that moves in and out- there is a spring on the end of this. Push this in and out a few times. When I did this I could then open the tailgate from outside- i.e. the push button on the tailgate now opens when manually pressed (there is no key on this model)

Next I am going to remove the mechanism and look inside to see what's going on.

I'll complete this later...

There is one screw to open to see the gearing and motor but it has one of those funny screws on it like a star. Once open -clean up the junk inside. There is a black plastic snail gear that is engaged by the motor at very low gearing and this should move the locking mechanism in and out. Rick cleaned this up and lubricated with vaseline. The motor itself has a part VD 221618 Mabuchi and it works fine under no load. When reassembled and fitted it does not move the mechanism- its as if the whole thing is just jammed. You can hear the motor starting to spin- it just clicks for an instant and stops. Turning the black plastic gear by hand moves it but it seems to have a sticky spot half way down.

Just thinking...when locking the motor has to spin one way and when unlocking it has to spin back the other way- this has to be controlled by the electrics somehow- reversing the polarity?

Next trying a replacement motor- I read in the experts section here that this has to be a CCW (counter clockwise) but I've lost the reference to that posting.

Just also realised that you dont need to open the three nuts holding the lock in place to get at the motor. Just the one screw (the star shape) releases it all and you can get at the motor. Rick is going to buy a new one and we'll test that and see if it works.

Ralph
5th December 2011, 07:12 AM
It's most likely the motor, it's opened and closed by a short burst of 12v that reverses polarity to change from one to the other.

1953bloke
6th December 2011, 02:26 AM
It's most likely the motor, it's opened and closed by a short burst of 12v that reverses polarity to change from one to the other.

Thanks Ralph for your advice- managed to fix the problem and here's the solution!

The motor was fine but the problem was in the black snail gear that turns cw then ccw to disable the button push. The pinion that tracks inside the black gear (Rick calls it the snail) had over time worn away the end point so that the pinion was going beyond the end point and getting stuck. The solution was to cut a couple of pieces of hard plastic (i used one of those plastic capped drawing pins with a capstan shaped head) and cutting two pieces- jammed one into each end of the travel and effectively reduced the travel. Refitting- make sure the key fob is in the correct state for the position of the motor- i.e. doors open latch in open position BEFORE you reconnect the power. Then screw it all back into place and dance around the workshop realising you have saved an enormous amount of money!

Ralph
6th December 2011, 08:31 AM
Result thanks for letting us know.