: Renault Clio II - Electronics - TDC sensor

gwynne61
24th August 2005, 04:42 PM
I've a Clio 2 1.2 16v which has had starting problems. The AA have said the TDC sensor needs to be replaced as it is quite a straightforward job, can anyone advise me where the sensor is positioned before I start to pull things around. I know its on the gearbox by the flywheel but it doesn't seem readily visible. Any diagrams would be great.

Thanks in advance ;)

WebCode
24th August 2005, 06:51 PM
It is located on top of the gearbox casing where it meets the engine block..
It is held in by two 10mm bolts and has a two wire connector plugged into it..

It is relatively easy to remove but may require some coolant pipes to be moved to the side to help access..

FrenchFanRTE
24th August 2005, 11:10 PM
Just to add, may be worth fitting a new connector for the sensor also while youre at it, your dealer should know what you mean, cut the old connector off, it's only two wires, so not to complicated to wire the new one in.
Also remove the air filter box, that'll help you to see what youre doing.

gwynne61
29th August 2005, 12:55 PM
Just to add, may be worth fitting a new connector for the sensor also while youre at it, your dealer should know what you mean, cut the old connector off, it's only two wires, so not to complicated to wire the new one in.
Also remove the air filter box, that'll help you to see what youre doing.
Thanks for the help mission accomplished

ginge594
13th September 2005, 11:16 AM
I've a Clio 2 1.2 16v which has had starting problems. The AA have said the TDC sensor needs to be replaced as it is quite a straightforward job, can anyone advise me where the sensor is positioned before I start to pull things around. I know its on the gearbox by the flywheel but it doesn't seem readily visible. Any diagrams would be great.

Thanks in advance ;)
Could you tell me more about the fault, I just bought a W plate 1.2 grande, which has a intermitant starting fault, some times its like the imboliser has activated, but the veh will bump start, :devil: also the starter seems lazy at times.? :crazy:

gwynne61
13th September 2005, 05:29 PM
car would not start, intermittent, starter motor worked fine, but engine wouldn't fire. Since tdc sensor changed no problem, easy job to do part was £21.

Uncle_Sam
13th September 2005, 08:51 PM
ginge,

Tell us more specifically about your fault, and we'll try to sort you out.

Sam

tone-controller
15th October 2005, 05:57 PM
TDC sensor seems to be a common area of failure, and not even mentioned in the Haynes manual (but why should it? It's equally useless in all other areas!)

...oh...correction...I think they refer to it as a "crankshaft position/speed sensor" - can anyone confirm that this is one and the same?

Has anybody got a web resource for "spot the TDCI by model"? My Scenic (K7M motor) goes through spasms of non-starting which has been blamed on the immobiliser for the most part, but after lurking on this forum recently, the TDCI seems to be a more likely cause (ignition on, all electrics working, but engine turns over without firing - then mysteriously OK again for a while.....)

Update - found it. Very easy to spot, but that also suggests very vulnerable to damp and gunge, e.g. oil misting. I suspect that, as the connector is completely unprotected, (no rubber boot or similar cover) it could be prone to moisture ingress.

theogeor
15th October 2005, 06:21 PM
My wife's renault Clio (1.2 98/S 70K on the clock service regularly) started recently to misbehave. It stalls while you are going (usually when you decelerate) and you have no power. When you stop it either revs up at about 3000rpm or the engine stops completely (most often it stops) and it takes a bit of an effort to start it again. I though it might have been a fuel problem so I checked the fuel lines and I changed the fuel filter but problem still exist. Looking at the post it looks like it might be the TDC sensor as well. Before I replace it does anybody else had a similar problem ? Is it the right thing to do or shall I look at other things ? :confused:

turnerr12
19th October 2005, 10:58 AM
My wife's renault Clio (1.2 98/S 70K on the clock service regularly) started recently to misbehave. It stalls while you are going (usually when you decelerate) and you have no power. When you stop it either revs up at about 3000rpm or the engine stops completely (most often it stops) and it takes a bit of an effort to start it again. I though it might have been a fuel problem so I checked the fuel lines and I changed the fuel filter but problem still exist. Looking at the post it looks like it might be the TDC sensor as well. Before I replace it does anybody else had a similar problem ? Is it the right thing to do or shall I look at other things ? :confused:

I have a 2003 Clio dci 80. This started 'lurching' after coming off the accelerator and re-applying. e.g. cruising along the motorway in whatever gear, queue up-ahead so come off the gas, then start to accelerate again and it lurches forward. This has now been compounded by the fact that the engine completely cuts out. I have now managed to get it so that if I turn the engine off and back to the 'ignition' stage it will kick back into life again (can now all be done within 1 sec!) so that when I am going along the motorway I don't need to pull over. :mad:

I, too, have had the fuel lines checked; the fuel primer taken out of the equation in case it was dragging air, the car hooked up to a laptop to check all electronics etc etc.
Would this TDC thingy be on a diesel as well? Is that something to check? HELP!!! - Please can someone reply ASAP - it is booked into the Main Dealer in 2 weeks!

A former user
5th March 2006, 11:50 PM
Attached diagram shows position of TDC Sensor.. Clio II..

turnerr12
6th March 2006, 09:09 AM
Cheers for that Laguna but I have a better solution - sell it on to Arnold Clark for a decent price and forget all about it!!!! :rofl:

Horatio
6th March 2006, 09:54 AM
Funnily enough, that's exactly what we ended up doing with our 02 Clio, though not intentionally.

The wife took the car into the dealer to have what now appears to be a TDC related problem fixed (though the dealer wanted to replace the ECU wiring loom) and spotted a 5 door Clio on the forecourt (they're like rocking-horse muck.)

The fact that the car had a fault didn't affect the trade-in value in the slightest, and it's now up to the dealer to decide whether they fix it at their own expense or flog it on with the fault still present. I'd say the latter was unlikely unless they shift it 'sold as seen' at an auction, as it had got to the stage where the fault was pretty obvious every time you drove the car.

ALTEA
25th March 2006, 09:23 PM
Attached diagram shows position of TDC Sensor.. Clio II..

Dont see the attachement?

bonedavid
25th March 2006, 10:02 PM
due to copyright issues some diagrams submitted by members have been removed.

sorry for any inconvenience caused.

ALTEA
26th March 2006, 09:19 AM
could someone take a picture of it then please?

fongwah
2nd June 2006, 05:12 PM
clio 1.4 16v yr2000 atuo box

(i live in paris france)

i have what appears to be a TDC problem. but my usual renault dealer will not sell me a TDC sensor (which he quotes at twice the retail price!) as he says that the computer will have to be reset and i cannot do that?

this is somewhat different to everything i have read and the haynes manual?

can anyone confirm/deny this?

cheers,
fongwah

fongwah
2nd June 2006, 05:24 PM
this is a good resource for renault info, but it is in french. but the pictures show very clearly the tdc (in french capteur PMH).

good luck

http://www.forum-auto.com/sqlforum/section21/sujet214136.htm

tab99_uk
11th June 2006, 04:21 AM
i have the same problem my clio grande 2001 yreg will sometimes not start the engine fires but it wont start.

in have replaced the fuel filter had a full service replaced the crank shaft sensor after replaceing this the car was ok for a month but its starting to happen again now.

could it be the tdc sensor my friend said it could be the cold start sensor.

tab99_uk
12th June 2006, 12:13 AM
anyone please running out of ideas.

fongwah
12th June 2006, 04:29 PM
tab99_uk,

with the tdc problem the engine does not fire. the tdc "tells" the engine when to fire. as the tdc is not functioning the engine doesnt know when to fire, and thus doesnt. the starter motor just turns over endlessly.

if your engine fires, it should not be the tdc. but i do not know what your problem could be.

sorry i cant help anymore,
fongwah

tab99_uk
12th June 2006, 11:53 PM
thanks for reply m8 me friend is going to put the car on his computer.

is the crank shaft sensor the same as tdc or are they two diffrent sensors??

thanks

Rostros
6th July 2006, 09:37 PM
Hello all

Been reading up on the TDC sensor threads and I am sure that this could be the problem with my heap. Rang the missus’ brother who works in a garage and he asked me what the TDC number was?

Having no clue what-so-ever about cars (I am one of those blokes who kicks the rear tyre and says “I will take it”) I don’t know what he means.

Could anybody shed any light on this for me please?

d6wnc1972
4th August 2006, 09:02 AM
I too have an intermittent startin problem on my clio Sport 172 on a morning on a cold start it takes the 2nd attempt to start, but if you manage to get your foot on the accelerator quick enough it will start but you have to rev it could this be something to do with the TDC sensor? If not what else could it be?

turnerr12
4th August 2006, 09:16 AM
I would certainly start with this as it is not too costly and seems to be a common problem.

chalky2k
29th August 2006, 08:25 AM
recently changed the TDC sensor on my cilo.. everything was well for a few days. then started back up. now my car stalls when driving and even refuses to start for a while and the organe electrical fault light flashes and comes on. i notice this problem today on my drive to work. so although it sounds like a tdc sensor problem it may not be.

I went out and brought the dam TDC sensors and fitted it. NOT THE PROBLEM.

i drive a 1.2 16v 2001 Clio. if anyone knows of my problem. please help.

Chuck

summercamp
30th June 2007, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone!:rofl:

with my limited knowledge of engines - would this TDC sensor apply to diesels? I guess they have pistons which also have to get to TDC before the glow plug heats up???

my 2001 Clio diesel has starting problems - I thought it was the immobiliser but the engine turns over and I guess the immobiliser wouldn't let the engine turn over??

or would it?

since it's a newer model the problem with the leak doesn't apply

currently recharging the battery after it went flat - anything special I need to do when I replace the battery? Like reset the immobiliser as mentioned on another thread?

also someone mentioned a fuse - what was that about?

due to the popularity of this site it takes ages to find the right info (I've been looking for various bits of info for about 3 hours now lol)

anyway - keep up the good work :)

suehowitt
6th July 2007, 10:08 PM
Heartfelt thanks to the person that showed picures of the TDC, I had found out from the forum that this was probably the cause of the non starting of my Clio RXT, now severe, but not knowing what the thing looked like I dreaded trying to explain this to a French mechanic (I live in Burgundy) now I can show him and hope that he can fix it before my date with the MOT inspector. Thank goodness for the internet and forums like yours

chris m
7th July 2007, 07:44 AM
Welcome to the forum, Sue. Glad we could help.

lynsandtone
3rd August 2007, 12:15 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this forum as of a couple of hours ago, I googled 'clio starting problems' in despair after many failed attempts on getting my car repaired.

Basically I've got a 98 ClioII 1149 RN. In the last couple of weeks it has only started intermittently, in that when it didn't start the engine turned over without firing. Obviously when I asked a mechanic to look at it it started immediately every time in a 'herbie-esque fashion' making me look like a fool.

Well cutting to the chase, within an hour or so of reading about the TDC and its problems and looking at the photos of the Laguna TDC, I have taken mine out cleaned off all the gunk and replaced it only to find the car fired immediately and continues to, fingers crossed.

Previously this morning the battery was almost flat following numerous attempts to get it going.

I'd just like to thank everyone who has contributed to the information in this area, You've saved me a lot of time and money and are certainly a lot more knowledgeable than the guys I've approached re: the problem. Viva le forum :rofl:

maviso5
5th August 2007, 03:36 PM
Hello

lynsandtone are you still having problems or not, i have a 1999 1.2 RN and i have the same problem and just googled clio wont start in google and got this page.

summercamp
5th August 2007, 06:25 PM
hi all - we replaced the tdc sensor to no avail - finally towed it to delear who said diagnostic computer showned no faults but that the key wasn't communicating with the receiver - so we need new key - however they got the car started by bending the key (faulty pcb component?) so we took the car for a run but it stopped again so we ended up gettin the AA to take us home. (as it was late and the dealer was closed).

being an electonics engineer I checked the pcb on both keys but couldn't find a fault - similarly the receiver.

which left me with a useless car (now month since it's worked). I need a new key from renault in france. seems renault in france close down for the whole of august

none of those internet security companies can help. I can't disconnect the immobilser (dealer said it can't be done).

so I have no car for another month

am I the only one who thinks this is not a good thing?

there must be a way to disconnect the immobiliser.

it has an electronic pump so not sure if I can take a lead straight to the battery to bypass the ECU, but surely renault must be able to reprogram the ECU so it doesn't wait for the 'handshake' from the key?

does anyone know?

LOULOU26
9th August 2007, 06:23 PM
ginge,

Tell us more specifically about your fault, and we'll try to sort you out.

Sam
ARE TDC SENSOR AND CRANK SENSOR THE SAME THING OR WHAT?MY 51 REG CLIO DYNAMIQUE HAS BIN DRIVIN ME MAD SINCE XMAS STARTIN OR CUTTIN OUT WEN FEELIN TAKES IT .ITS SO RANDOM IT GETS ON MY NERVES. I HAVE CHANGED COIL PACK SPARK PLUGS AIR FILTER OIL FILTER,BUT NEXT ON MY LIST IS THIS NOTORIOUS TDC SENSOR THEN THE CAR IS BEIN SOLD AND I WIL STIK TO GOOD OL BRITISH CARS FROM NOW ON
:confused:

markandjan
9th August 2007, 07:20 PM
Hi yes it is the same thing.I replaced mine and the car starts fine now.....easy fix!

tidyclio
9th August 2007, 09:44 PM
hi all - we replaced the Top Dead Centre sensor to no avail - finally towed it to delear who said diagnostic computer showned no faults but that the key wasn't communicating with the receiver - so we need new key - however they got the car started by bending the key (faulty pcb component?) so we took the car for a run but it stopped again so we ended up gettin the AA to take us home. (as it was late and the dealer was closed).

being an electonics engineer I checked the pcb on both keys but couldn't find a fault - similarly the receiver.

which left me with a useless car (now month since it's worked). I need a new key from renault in france. seems renault in france close down for the whole of august

none of those internet security companies can help. I can't disconnect the immobilser (dealer said it can't be done).

so I have no car for another month

am I the only one who thinks this is not a good thing?

there must be a way to disconnect the immobiliser.

it has an electronic pump so not sure if I can take a lead straight to the battery to bypass the ECU, but surely renault must be able to reprogram the ECU so it doesn't wait for the 'handshake' from the key?

does anyone know?

Is it the Clio mk2 in your sig that this is regarding?

If so then no the immobiliser cannot be bypassed the old ones could but not these ones.

If you are desperate for around £230 you could have a key, UCH and ECU from another car and replaced the whole lot. I realise this is a lot more than a key.
Your other options are if it is a mk2 Clio I know for a fact there are dealers with these plips in stock so would you be willing to travel? I got a new key recently and I could have had one made up independantly but was not 100% sure it was the key. Check your phone book for a local auto locksmith as some of them are able to do this. I found one near me who could and who also carried the plips he quoted me £130 plus you would need to go to Renault with your log book and identification and pay a £15 administrative charge to get the immobiliser could for this.

x!x lou x!x
8th October 2007, 09:00 PM
I too have an intermittent startin problem on my clio Sport 172 on a morning on a cold start it takes the 2nd attempt to start, but if you manage to get your foot on the accelerator quick enough it will start but you have to rev it could this be something to do with the Top Dead Centre sensor? If not what else could it be?

Hi, did you get a reply from anyone about this problem as i seem to have the same thing wrong? and if you did, did you get it sorted, whats the outcome??

Just joined today and found this forum very interesting and helpfull!!
Nice to know im not the only one with car troubles!!
Please reply
thanks x

ginstrell
16th October 2007, 10:44 PM
Hi - I had same problem some days my 1.6 RSI W reg clio would start others it wouldn't. The garage could not pick it up. Decided to take advice from forum and purchase a new TDC. I got it from dealer £21 but had to buy the cable connector to fit which was a further £19. It was easier enough to fit, although soldering the wires was a bit tricky. So far (touch wood) it has started ever since (been over 1 week now).

Before I bought it I did speak with the Renualt mechanic and he said a very common problem and he would change this first as 98% sure it was the TDC.

Thanks to this forum as I would never have been able to find the fault myself fix it.:)

Brakelights
28th October 2007, 04:08 PM
Could you tell me more about the fault, I just bought a W plate 1.2 grande, which has a intermitant starting fault, some times its like the imboliser has activated, but the veh will bump start, :devil: also the starter seems lazy at times.? :crazy:

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on this site but i would like to say firstly that reading aall of your posts have been a great help to getting my Clio back on the road.

Andy way the problem i hear you cry..... I have been having problems with my immobiliser, the car opens with the remote key but when i put it in the ignition and turn it the immobiliser light does not go off and the engine runs like rubbish obviously. However after a few minutes the immobiliser light goes off car runs great get a foot up the road immobiliser lights comes back on and cuts out.

I have been to a renault dealer because i thought the key might need reprogamming but they says the key is fine and can't tell me what the problem is, has anyone had this before and is my dealer just being lazy??

Thaks guys

madnoel10
28th October 2007, 05:22 PM
Hi Brakelights - do a search of the forum for "programming key" - this prob has loads of posts:confused:

commuter
14th February 2008, 12:23 PM
tab99_uk,

with the tdc problem the engine does not fire. the tdc "tells" the engine when to fire. as the tdc is not functioning the engine doesnt know when to fire, and thus doesnt. the starter motor just turns over endlessly.

if your engine fires, it should not be the tdc. but i do not know what your problem could be.

sorry i cant help anymore,
fongwah

I have the glow plug light on and the engine turns but doesn't fire could that be the TDC?

51 plate 1.5 dci

**sorry first post didn't want to appear so abrupt but I sat in the car this morning at 06:45 and had all the curtains twitching while I tried to start it

Vincent Gooren
18th February 2008, 09:02 AM
Does anybody know if a TDC unit is likely to be in stock at a regular garage?

madnoel10
18th February 2008, 12:55 PM
I doubt if your average garage would stock a TDC sensor unless they specialise in Renaults - but I believe GSF now stock after-market units. See link below:)

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

Truckbusuk
19th February 2008, 09:06 AM
Does anybody know if a TDC unit is likely to be in stock at a regular garage?

Hi Vincent, they are less than £20 (£17'ish + vat) from Renault (unless the price has gone up very receintly)... and youll be sure of getting the correct one ... as Noel says GSF do them but personally I'm not a big fan ... too many of their parts are wrong/incorrect for my likeing.

Hope it helps :)

Jlucy
20th February 2008, 06:06 AM
I pass this on FWIW, but it makes sense to me:

I was told by a very experienced Renault mechanic that a lot of the problems with the TDC sensor are in fact with the connector. He said that in the dealers they routinely used to bend the connectors in the plug so that they have a tighter contact with the terminals in the sensor.

I had a problem with the TDC sensor on my Kangoo, removed it, cleaned the little metal tip, problem went away for a few weeks. Trouble was, the tip was hardly dirty and I couldn't see why 'cleaning' it made much difference. In the process, of course, I removed and reattached the plug, and it could well have been this that made the difference.

When it went wrong again I didn't bother removing the sensor but followed the mechanic's advice, along with some contact cleaner - I haven't had a problem for about 10 months now.

I know these TDC sensors are relatively cheap, but it would be nice to know how many are replaced completely unncecessarily, and whether what is actually fixing the problem is just unplugging and plugging the contacts!

The other thing that would be interesting - what exactly is the mode of failure of these units? Does the wiring for some reason break, does the tip become magnetized, or what?

DrJohn2910
6th June 2008, 11:36 AM
Hi,

I have a 2001 Clio which, for the past couple of months, has been suffering from an intermittent starting problem. It can start fine one day then just turn over and not fire the next.

I took it to a garage who diagnosed the problem as a faulty ignition coil and they duly replaced the part. However, the problem remains and I even went home on a low loader last wk!

I've taken it back to the garage twice who say no problem is diagnosed - it obviously doesn't play up when there! However, two years ago I had a problem with the TDC and got this replaced and I am fairly sure this is the cause again. Since no garage can officially diagnose this, how easy is it for me to take it off and clean it, or replace if necessary?

ginstrell
6th June 2008, 12:51 PM
This does sound like TDC sensor. It is really easy to replace. Unclip the cardboard hose on the airfilter and should be able to get a socket to undo the 2 bolts (you might just need to put something to hold one of the water hoses out the way abit).

You may get away with removing and cleaning the sensor and connections otherwise a replacement £20 (and further £20 for the connector depending on your car spec).

Hope that helps

Cheers

Glenn

Daveed1973
2nd July 2008, 09:40 AM
I too have been having starting problems. Sometimes it is fine, othertimes it takes quite a few turns before the car kicks in.

The car turns over okay and have never had a any problems until recently. My battery has been checked and it is fine.

I have a V reg Clio 1.2 Grande Petrol.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

annetteking5
2nd July 2008, 02:04 PM
Hi this is my first post...having trouble with my 1.9 clio 1996 diesel.The car runs great its the wipers they work but when they stop they end up upright on the screen they don't return to the correct place any ideas please.

madnoel10
2nd July 2008, 02:30 PM
Sounds like an earth problem at the wiper motor:)

ginstrell
2nd July 2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Daveed1973

It does sound like TDC sensor as this is very comon on this age of clio. You may get away with taking it off giving it and the connectors a clean otherwise £20 from dealer. If you look back in this thread there is advise on where it is located and how to remove it.

If you need any further advice, let me know as this was the fault with mine and after 2 weeks of random starts the new TDC sensor fixed it.

Cheers

Glenn

nicmac303
25th September 2008, 07:33 PM
I was told by a very experienced Renault mechanic that a lot of the problems with the TDC sensor are in fact with the connector. He said that in the dealers they routinely used to bend the connectors in the plug so that they have a tighter contact with the terminals in the sensor.

I had a problem with the TDC sensor on my Kangoo, removed it, cleaned the little metal tip, problem went away for a few weeks. Trouble was, the tip was hardly dirty and I couldn't see why 'cleaning' it made much difference. In the process, of course, I removed and reattached the plug, and it could well have been this that made the difference.

When it went wrong again I didn't bother removing the sensor but followed the mechanic's advice, along with some contact cleaner - I haven't had a problem for about 10 months now.

I know these TDC sensors are relatively cheap, but it would be nice to know how many are replaced completely unncecessarily, and whether what is actually fixing the problem is just unplugging and plugging the contacts!

Thanks lucy, i gave my TDC a clean (like yours it didn't seem especially dirty) and gave the connecting prongs a little bend. Haven't had the problem in a month. It used to start around 50% of the time, so this is a great improvement.

I followed the instructions in the Haynes manual & the only trouble I had was getting my spanner in such a tight space (after removing the air filter). But keep at it & you'll get there.
Thanks all for the help :)

madnoel10
26th September 2008, 01:37 PM
In order to solve the TDC problem Renault have modified the wiring loom connector and have made it a two part remedy. This makes it an easy job for the mechanic who may not have the electrical knowlege or soldering skills
I have heard of mechanics who have solved the problem by soldering the cables thus doing away with the connector altogether.:)

IanMelb
10th May 2009, 02:46 PM
We've got the warm start problems on our 99 1.2 Clio.

I've found the TDC sensor and will give that a check, however there are no warning signs on the dash. I've also been advised that it could be 'tight' valve tolerances.

I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth the hassle of checking the tolerances, because if that's the problem then it's cheaper (for parts) than a faulty TDC sensor, however it's also quite a bit of faff to adjust them (according to the Haynes joke manual.

It's not too pressing a point at the moment, coz it's up on axle stands - I've also got to replace the front offside suspension spring and maybe wheel bearings ...

zedbutz
23rd June 2009, 06:58 PM
It is located on top of the gearbox casing where it meets the engine block..
It is held in by two 10mm bolts and has a two wire connector plugged into it..

It is relatively easy to remove but may require some coolant pipes to be moved to the side to help access..

i just got a new TDC sensor with new blue wire loom the new loom wire colours are pink and yellow,,,the old loom wire colours are pink and green,,do i connect pink to pink and yellow to green,,thanks
zedbutz

iangorringe
8th July 2009, 08:57 PM
Hi dumb blonde here can your fellas help PLEASE. Ihave a 1.2 clio (11) and when I try to start the car it seems as if it is going to start but then looses total power. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP..:crazy:

mvmk2
25th October 2009, 08:20 PM
does any1 know how much a TDC sensor for a clio is?

and also best place to buy 1 from?

im north of london

thnx

sierraclio
27th October 2009, 02:10 PM
anyone please running out of ideas.Hi could be the fuel pump relay

Spudmurphy
19th November 2009, 08:16 PM
My son's car a Y reg Clio Grande 8 valve has displayed these start up faults. I used to work a lot on cars as a hobby mainly VW's. I went to my local parts dept and asked for a set of spark plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm. The guy came back with a quizical look saying that the car doesn't have a cap/arm:o.
So I changed the plugs. No4 was stuck fast so I left the engine on until it was well warm and thankfully the plug came out.
Next day my son says the car is still a swine to start cold.
I take advice from reading about the problem on another forum and change the Coolant Temp sensor. Still no joy!!
Oh by the way let the car cool down otherwise the water spits out and scolds ya!:crazy:
Followed this thread and thanks for the photo - we removed the Top dead centre sensor and cleaned it - bent the prongs. Fired up great initially then back to the same problem!!
Once the car fires up it runs great idles great - it's just the initial start.
Oh yeah I forgot the battery gave up 'cos of the strain put on it (original 9 year old battery) so we have a new battery. The engine bay is clean , oill free.

It's not the starter that works fine, not the plugs, not the battery not the coolant Temp sensor. It's a toss up now - £20 on a new TDC sensor or 46 quid to pay for a diagnostic 8loody renaults - and don't get me started on the modus - that's another story!!

Spud
scolded hands and scars from changing Headlight bulb on the modus!!(oops I said I wouldn't start on the modus)

Spudmurphy
20th November 2009, 09:55 PM
Tonight we changed the TDC sensor - why they changed the "plug" so that you have to solder the wires - god knows!!

Initially the car started fine.

My son comes in the house, picks up some things goes to the car - just leans in and tries to start it. Fires and dies.

I reprimand him for not sitting in the car and giving the accelerator a "squeeze". He says that he has never had to do that before. Anyway it does fire up and idles ok without any GREAT drama.

Will leave it for a couple of days and will report back.

Fingers crossed!!

jimbo76
23rd November 2009, 07:58 PM
hi

Mine cost @<hidden>£16.50 from euro car parts a few months ago, an easy job to do once you've removed the air box.. I didnt need to cut any any wires just plug in the new part to the existing connector, a relativley easy job.

Spudmurphy
12th December 2009, 08:56 PM
Car started acting up again. We swapped over to the spare key and problem solved!!

Car is perfect now!!:crazy:

saul1968
12th January 2010, 09:23 PM
Hi all
Hope someone can help I had my TDC done about 9 months ago.
But the car is playing up again I told the mechanic that it seems to be the same problem.
I also told him that i can bump start it and it goes but he said if it was the TDC you cant bump it off.
Is this true

It sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't and now sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens it doesn't turn over for the first few goes. (sometimes)

Also when i turn the ignition on you can hear a whining noise coming from the back of the engine for a few seconds then it stops.

I'am going to redo the TDC and bend them abit which someone said in previous posts.

But anymore ideas would be welcome

IrishSurfer
12th January 2010, 10:34 PM
brilliant advise lads, sorted my issue out the best!...thanks for the photos aswell, made everything much more straight forward, was able to get tore into it and the job done in an hour!...thanks again!

saul1968
13th January 2010, 05:49 PM
Hi All
Just to add a little to the above post my car starts better when it cold. it seems to start when i first go out but if i drive it for a while and go back it doesn't start.

satandave
22nd January 2010, 09:52 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading this thread as I am having the same kind of intermittent starting problems. Starter motor cranks the engine but it will not spark.

These started on Christmas eve when the car refused to start, AA guy came out and eventually said it was the Crank Shaft Sensor(TDC) that needed replacing. I left it and tried it again on Boxing day and it ran fine.

I then left it for a few days and low and behold it would not start again. I then left it for a few more days and it started again and drove ok for a couple of days until it decided to fail again at work. Another AA guy said that it was most definately the Crank Sahft Sensor(TDC) so I replaced this and it worked fine for a week. I was then off work for a couple of days and not driven the car, when trying to go back to work the car decide to not start again.

AA guy reckons to check the wireing as it is possible wiring fault between the TDC and the Coil.
Any ideas on what and where to check as I will be undertaking this this weekend and don't really want to remove the wiring loom if I don't have to. Any ideas as to what voltage etc I should be seeing ad where to check would be a great help.

Regards,
Dave

P.S. Sorry for the long essay.

alsie42
24th January 2010, 11:15 AM
I have suffered for the last 12 months with the same old Clio problem, jump in the car one day and it starts fine, another time turn the key and the immobiliser light will not stop flashing, therefore no point in turning the engine over and draining the battery, the problem was you did not know when this problem was going to occur, sometimes I had to sit in the car for up to 15mins turning the ignition on and off until the light remained solid red, then it would always start 1st time, that was the infuriating part about it.

Tried everything I read on this forum, change battery keys, etc, etc to no avail, then I happened to mention this problem to a neighbour who had just purchased a s/h Clio for his daughter that had suffered from the same problem as mine and obviously many others, he cured it at a stroke by purchasing a Renault Immobiliser Bypass device that just clips into the engine management plug (situated under the ashtray, no tools needed) this was purchased from www.remotekey.co.uk (http://www.remotekey.co.uk) , I phoned them up and spoke to the owner, who could have not been more helpfull, all he needed was for me to undo my ignition key and give him the number printed inside, this I did at 14:00 on a Monday and the item was with me by 10:00 Tuesday Morning as he sends everything out by special delivery, it took me 1 min to fit, and HEY PRESTO!! I had a Clio that now starts everytime with ease, the total cost was £84, this was money more than well spent, I have now had it for 7 weeks with not one non start problem.

The bypass plug can be taken out with ease, as will have to be for a service to be undertaken, and just popped back in when its been done, when I ordered this item he told me that this was the 10th sale of the day for Renault Clio's alone!!.

I hope this bit of advice will help someone else out there with this major problem.

Toad
6th December 2010, 10:33 PM
Does it still spark if the TDC is faulty? Or does it spark but at the wrong time?

Cleaned sensor and it's firing but not starting...

Working on the mother in laws car in the snow!!! Browning points earned for effort . but with no success

dexzter
9th December 2010, 09:36 PM
I have a Clio 1.2 from 2000, and are having starting problems. I can't see a pattern, it's random when it starts. The battery is brand new and the connection to it is fine. When I turn the key, it tries to start the car, but sometimes it just turns the engine without starting. Can this be the TDC-sensor problem? can someone point me in the right direction of where it's located in my engine? I have attached some pictures of the engine. Thanks!

http://img3.imageshack.us/f/photodes09100851pm.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/i/photodes09100914pm.jpg

Chemicalvix
8th March 2011, 02:34 PM
I have had problems with my 2001 clio. Sometimes it would start and other times only the engine would turn over but wouldnt ignite, and would cut out when idling. This turned out to be the krankshaft position sensor which cost me about £70 to for the part and fitting. It can be bump started with this problem.

Now I have another unresolved problem. I was getting delays between turning the key and the ignition, without the engine turning over in the gap. Now the car won't start at all. The battery is fine, but the engine won't turn over and won't ignite. Just changed the batteries in the keys and made no difference.

I would appreciate any help.

agonyjohn
5th June 2011, 12:08 PM
hi all i cant add a new thread as im unsure how to do it? lol anyway my 1.2 02 plate clio had troubles starting but it all seemed to clear up when i sorted out the key. one day driving along and it cut out then would turn over start and then cut out so i called out the RAC who said it was either the immobiliser but probably the fuel pump he disconnected something and it made a hissing noise when he pressed the accelerator and ran ok, just to get me to the garage. I want to know what it could be and the likely cost as if its too much i just wont bother and get a new car.

thanks

craigderby
14th July 2011, 11:13 PM
First off, hello as I'm new around here.

I've been suffering with both the immobiliser, and turning over and not starting problems.

After a good read on here last night both are now fixed.
I've changed to using the spare key which has solved the immobiliser issue.
Secondly I've taken the Crank Sensor off, given it a clean, and now it works fine.

So a big thanks for the info, you've saved me a fortune :cool:

dwe1962
30th December 2011, 04:07 PM
Hi There,

I am new to this thread. My daughter purchased a 2001 Mk 2 Clio 1.5 diesel which worked perfectly for two days. The car will start up and work as if normal until you put your foot on the accelerator when the engine will just cut out once you try to put any load onto it.

The RAC ran their diagnostics tool and it came out as a sensor problem between two sensors which were not talking to each other. One (CAMSHAFT) was changed and the engine revved up then cut out. Then the other one was changed (CRANKSHAFT) and the car would not start at all.

So the RAC lady put both old sensors back into the car and towed it to the garage.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be. The RAC lady said she had never seen anything like this before and so did a mechanic friend of mine. Help, please!