: Clio DCi Cam belt change... How often ???

owen998
2nd October 2010, 07:06 PM
When I purchased my 2007 Clio Campus Sport DCi 68 a couple of weeks ago the dealer gave me a copy of an email from renault saying that the recommended time to change the cam belt on my car is 96,000 miles or 6 years, whichever comes sooner.

Is that information correct ?

Asterix
2nd October 2010, 07:08 PM
It should state the milage and time in your owners handbook/service book....my 1.5dci 106 is 5 years or 72000 miles which ever the soonest. Always err on the lower side

owen998
2nd October 2010, 07:22 PM
I have just had a look at my 'Maintenance Service Booklet' regarding 'Timing Belt And Rollers', and it says it differs on cars with or without a 'Particle Filter'; 72,000 miles or 5 years if without the filter fitted or 96,000 miles or 6 years if fitted with the filter.

What is a 'particle filter' ?

mr espace
2nd October 2010, 08:02 PM
personally i recon 50000 is more than enough for any belt :)

owen998
2nd October 2010, 09:42 PM
So, what does Renault mean by 'particle filter' ?

How can a filter increase the lifetime of a cam belt and its rollers ?

Maybe the quality of the cam belt and rollers was upgraded at the same time that they started fitting particle filters ?

:cool:

Haree
2nd October 2010, 10:31 PM
I am prety certain most renaults the cambelt is due for changing every 72,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first. If the car is 5 years old and is even low mileage you should still get the belt changed on age grounds as the rubber can deteriorate with age. A cambelt change is not cheap but if the belt snaps it can cost a lot more to repair or replace a knackered engine.

Harry.

Ralph
3rd October 2010, 07:17 AM
On my 05 DCi it says 5 years or 72000 miles but I changed it at 60000 as the 5 years were up, the belt was showing it's age it may have gone the 72000 miles but will be changing the belt at 60000 again if it survives that long.

owen998
4th December 2010, 04:32 PM
I have contacted Renaullt customer services and they have confirmed that the timing belt and rollers on my 2007 Clio Campus Sport 1.5 DCi should be changed every 96,000 miles or every 6 years, whichever comes soonest.

It seems that I misread my handbook :o

The timing belt change interval is 96,000 miles or every 6 years whether the vehicle has a particle filter fitted or not; it applies to all DCi engines from at least March 2007 when my car was registered. I am not shure if the later figures can be applied to earlier DCi engines; maybe Renault changed the specification of the timing belt and rollers on the later/current models or maybe Renault had aquired enough feedback from their dealers to be able to confidently increase the belt change interval ?

Has anybody on here with a DCi engined vehicle suffered from belt failiure, if so, at what mileage ?

Cheers.

timddeb
9th June 2011, 07:09 AM
I always change my cambelts at 70000 whatever the make and whatever the handbook recomends. It's a lot cheaper than the alternative!!! I've known people push it till they break, generally long after 100,000 has been but not always.

AlFixit
9th June 2011, 08:48 AM
When I've done cambelts in the past, I've always changed the water pump too as sod's law states that a water pump will fail shortly after doing a cambelt so you've got to take the whole lot off again!

I got a Renault dealer "discounted" quote of 450 for changing the cambelt on my Clio 1.5DCi. Considering it's realistically only another 30 minutes and a handful of easily accessible bolts once the cambelt is off, I was amazed at Renault's "discounted" quote for the combined job. First they quoted 1300 which then came down to 900. So it's an extra 450 for half an hours additional work, a water pump, gasket and some coolant. I did it myself. It's not the worst one I've done but certainly wasn't the easiest.

How often? Well, Renault specify 72k miles or 5 years for mine. It was 67k miles and 5 1/2 years and the belt looked passable. It would probably have gone on for a lot longer but it's really not worth the risk.

dejan72
11th June 2011, 04:25 PM
Hi
Did 2 jobs on those engines, first on clio 2, the second one on megane 2 estate. It's not as easy and accessible as i thought it would be (my V6 is a treat opposed to 1.5dci). I am not a mechanic but it took more than 5 hours to complete (a couple beer pauses included). And don't think that there's more room in megane's engine compartment also, because there isn't. A new water pump has to be installed as in both cases they were on their way out. An aux belt tensioner is also likely to fail before the next cambelt session, and in my opinion the garage shouldn't charge much as they have to take it off for water pump job anyway.
The parts (usually gates tensioner and timing belt, and other brand water pump) on the free market should be about 100 EUR.
DG