Independent Renault Forums banner

Clio 2001 Speedo Sensor pictures?

38K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cliojan 
#1 ·
The speedo on my 2001 Clio very rarely works,
Ive read through countless articles on this forum, amongst others, and i know what to do in theory. I have some contact cleaner and dont mind buying a new sensor all together if need be, but i have no idea where the sensor is located or even what it looks like. I was wondering if anyone could please post some pictures maybe? Thanks

#4 ·
Sorry I dont think that is correct ... the Clio2 uses an electronic speed sender that is mounted on the gearbox casing at the rear side of the engine between the engine and the firewall/bulkhead where it meets the block under the air filter.

Do a search on Clio Speedo ... there are pics on the forums.

:)

#8 ·
Same problem with a W reg clio,ordered new sensor from renaultparts on internet about £23. Once you remove air filter and air pipes to the filter, 10 min job, you can get your left hand on to the sensor and it just pulls out with a little strong pull. It is attached to engine on bulkhead side. You the just take off the electrical connector and replace by pushing back in. There is a heat shield on unit which is just spring clips and pulls off. Simples, and speedo now works. My garage said I would need a new speedo cluster with labour about £250. If you had access to car lift it may be easier but I did whole job in 1 hour Colin

#10 ·
The speed sensor is at the back of the engine. Its impossible to see it from above. You need to squeeze your hand behind the engine, quite a way down, until you can feel the sensor. On my Clio the sensor had a tin heat shield clipped to it. Just pull this off. Then wiggle the sensor and pull it out. You can then lift it up so that you can see how to unclip the wires from the top. The wires have a little clip that needs to be depressed, before you can detach. I bought a replacement speed sensor on ebay for £6.

Once you find the location, the change is very easy - and in my case it got the speedo working again.

Photos below were taken by squeezing camera behind engine.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.