Independent Renault Forums banner

engine oil for scenic 1.5DCI

33K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mladenm 
#1 ·
got car Scenic 1.5DCI 05 reg back from service 'reg varde' Rotherham, i got a litre of oil for top up, it is Castrol GTD plus 10w-40, on the back it states that it meets API CF ACEA B3, is this oil suitable for the engine? As it doesnt state that it is semi or fully synthic!

#3 ·
I would double check with your dealer,though.

Renault changed the recommended oil grade for the 1.9Dci's from 10w40 to at least 5w40,due to turbo problems.I think that 5w30 has been mentioned by at least one Renault Technician on the forum recently.Not sure if this is relevant to the 1.5Dci though.

#4 ·
A 5w40 (fully Synthetic) oil would be the recommended grade for the 1.5dci.. Although 10w40 (semi) is OK..

5W30 is only used in the Euro IV 1.9Dci with FAP, so will not apply in this case..

#7 ·
I have an 05 Scenic 1.5dci and because of the issues with the renault turbos on other models I've been using Millers 5w40 fully synthetic oil, and changing the oil at about 6,000 mile intervals. When I get the car serviced by the dealer (not a Renault dealer) I provide the oil myself and they use Renault parts throughout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.