Independent Renault Forums banner

2006 Renault Kangoo 1.6 K4M. Broken timing belt set timing

21K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bugsb 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here and I'm hoping to get some advice to get me motoring again. My cam belt broke on my 2006 1.6 Kangoo whilst my car was at idle. I'm hoping for not to much damage to valves and have decided to put on a new belt and hope for the best (Fingers crossed). My problem is, I didn't mark the cam and crank pulleys when the belt broke. I do have marks from the previous belt change though (Cams only).

My question is, can I get away with out having the timing locking tools for the cams and locking pin for the the crank? Can I use a drill bit or similar to lock the flywheel / crank and is a pin the easiest way to find TDC?

See less See more
#3 ·
"My problem is, I didn't mark the cam and crank pulleys when the belt broke" - ????

Don't bother trying to re-fit the belt, valve damage will have occurred. :(

Compared with the overall cost of the repair job, the timing tools are cheap enough to buy.

#4 ·
If you have marked the cams in the past then you will have no problem there. on the K4M the crank should be positioned so that the key slot is at the 12 oclock position. im not sure what size the locking pin is i cant remember but if i m right in thinking im sure is 8mm thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.