Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna 2 - Banging Noise From Rear Suspension*FIXED*

36K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Nexxusone 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I have a Lag II 1.9dci estate 2005.
I've recently fitted new shocks to the rear and new rear axle bushes which certainly helped tighten the back end up.
However I still have an annoying banging / cracking noise after speed bumps as the suspension settles.
I noticed while changing the shocks that the n/s top mount rubber for the coil spring was soft and if I press a finger against it it appears to weep a little water which must be gathering up in the mount when roads are wet.
The coil springs themselves are in good shape could this rubber mount be causing the problem by allowing the spring top to bounce rather than being firmly seated ?

#2 ·
Re: Rear n/s still banging/cracking noise after speed bumps

Absolutely that could be your problem! the top mounts should be firm. Remember, they're there as the last line of defence in soaking up the bumps! If they are perished in any way you'll end up with metal on metal :)

#3 ·

Cheers scatz, I take it I'd be best going for new Renault parts rather than from breakers yard?
I can't find any on ebay not sure exactly what correct terminology for part is , are they bump stops?

#5 ·
Rattling and banging over speed bumps finally cured

A bit of history first , I have an 05 laguna ii estate with 70k miles on it.
I've been replacing items in the back end to get it ready for mot, axle bushes replaced and new shocks.
This work tightened up the back really well but there was still a knocking/rattling noise from the rear n/s.
When I changed the shock on that side I found the old one which had not leaked had no rebound damping at all and looking at the coil spring top mount it was noticeably thinner than the o/s as it must have been getting hammered by the top of the spring for a while, so £7 later I had a new top mount this afternoon and fitted it in about 3/4hr.
I'm just back from a test drive going over as many speed bumps and potholes as I could find---quiet as a mouse.
So if anyone is pulling their hair out over an annoying
rattle/knock at the rear end and has sorted everything else try changing these mounts.

#8 ·
Interesting thread!

I too have a banging noise from both sides at the rear. I'm pretty sure it's the shockers. When you go over a hole (even a small one) you hear the wheels banging down...then on the way back up as the body comes down.

Had the rear bushes done just about a year ago, so I'm fairly sure it's not them, although can't rule that out. Is anyone able to give me a ball park figure of what price shocks might cost. Don't fancy getting ripped off again! ;)

Just had to spend £190 on a new front caliper slide too! :eek:

#11 ·

i have a 05 phase 2 laguna 1.6, i think i have a similiar problem but not sure, only when im coming off a speed bump i hear a sharpish bang, not a thud, when as you say the susp. settles. but it happens after the front axle meets the road again but while the rear is pretty much still on the ramp, is that similiar to the problem you had?? :)

#12 ·
Just had the rear axle bushes done on my wifes V6 Laguna II as well. It was banging quite bad over speed bumps, and when reversing out of the drive.

250 Pounds all in, with a local mechanic in Reading. Job done in under 3hrs.
He is an ex Renault guy, and has some special tool to do the bushes in situ on the car.

#13 ·
Sorry for the hi-jack but I know there is a post about replacing the rear subframe bushes with the proper tool. I've searched & can't find it, last time I found a post that linked to it but not so lucky this time. If anyone knows it can you please let me know.

Alan...

#15 ·
DO NOT USE THE BUSHES THAT COME IN THIS KIT!!!!

I spent 3 very very very frustrating hours yesterday trying to do one side of the car, in the end I HAD to walk way from the car. If I had of stayed there any longer I would have taken a sledge hammer to it.

I destroyed both bushes that came with the tool trying to get them to go in, no way on earth would they go. Getting the old one out was not a problem, wire brush around the old one, spray of WD40 & use the tool easy peasy. The bush has to pass through 2 sperarate lips but they would not go straight & as son as the slip off parallel then they jam up, no amount of force will move them, I 'think' the issue is the metal walls of the bush are too thin, which means the tool pressing down deforms them.

So as said in the end I had to walk away, I was due back at work but just needed time to calm down. Rang the local (15 miles away) Renault dealer & they had some genuine ones in stock. Went & fetched them last night another horrendous adventure stuck in a traffic jam due to road works with the clock ticking away to when the dealer closed. I got there with 2 minutes to spare, after leaving myself 50 minutes to do the 15 miles.

So this morning I went out & in less than 1 hour I had fitted the nearside one the one I was fighting yesterday, remove the offside & refitted the new one. All that's left is to put the axle back onto the car, with all the problems yesterday I had all but removed it.

Moral of the story DO NOT USE THE BUSHES THAT COME WITH THE KIT. The tool BTW is excellent & probably worth the money on it's own.

Only issue I will now face is yesterday the axle slipped & dropped ripping out the wires on a unit that attaches to the axle, not sure what it does, but if anyone is underneath & can tell me whch wires go into which hole on the connector I would be grateful

Alan...

#18 ·
tbh I learnt years ago draw a line horizontally through centre of wheels anything suspension bush wish inc subframes ABOVE use OEM or Febi anything below like ball joints etc use the best quality you can afford... if it requires any dropping of subframes, suspension legs or takes more than a hour to get too O.E.M because it will last 5-7 years - motor factor parts can sometimes last 1 MOT only....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.