Independent Renault Forums banner

Laguna I Audio Display / Stalk Controls Not Working

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  mickyd 
#1 ·
Hi All,

First off…having found this site and spent some time looking through the forums etc, I have to say this looks like a very well run and friendly site - nice one guys!. And so I’m hoping someone out there can help this forum newbie…(and Renault virgin in general!)

The Car: Laguna 1.9 TDi Sport Estate 1999 (V Reg)

The Problem: Audio display & stalk controls have stopped working!

The Sorry Saga!:
Initially, the left hand audio/clock display backlight bulb blew but before I could get round to replacing it, I noticed that the (then dimly lit) audio display flickered a few times before disappearing altogether! I then noticed that the stalk controls had also stopped operating. The radio continued to work ok, as does the display’s time and temperature readout. However, the two backlights to the display now remain lit even when engine is off and key removed from ignition!

I have checked the fuses in the main fusebox under the dash – all ok. I have tried replacing the display unit with a second-hand unit – no difference. Thanks to this site, I have even checked the “hidden” 5A fuse behind the ashtray…(what does that fuse and electronic box control??) I have tried tracing the wiring from the radio to the display to the stalk controls for broken/shorted wires – no luck.
PS: After being very careful not to break power to the radio and lose use of it, curiosity got the better of me and I pulled out an innocent looking connector pin located next to the fuse box….which cut the power to the radio and clock/temp display, so I now have no music and cannot re-enter the code until I resolve the original problem. Grrrr!!

My local Renault dealership has suggested that in light of the above tried fixes that it’s probably the radio itself that is the problem and to replace it. Hmmm… seems a drastic fix attempt, especially as the same technician advised me to replace the display unit when I first called!!

Before posting this cry for help, I had a long search on this site and came across this post from 2005:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/elec...k.html?highlight=laguna+display+lit#post14571
(apologies if this does not appear as a clickable link)

It appears to be exactly the same problem that I currently have but there was no final solution posted and I have not found any other posts that deal with this problem.

Can anybody shed some light on this, please! Any suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying and for the welcome.

No, nothing looks untoward in either of the connector blocks. Prior to trying the 2nd hand display unit, I dismantled the original unit to check the circuit board / connections....again could see nothing obvious - loose solder joints or burnt components etc. As the replacement display made no difference, I didn't buy it so am still using the original.

I agree that with the backlights staying on, it sounds like some sort of short somewhere in the circuit.....but haven't found it yet!

Don't know if this is connected at all, but to add to my woes, when I switched the ignition on this morning, the dashboard gauges and lights briefly went mental....needles flipped up and down and lights flashed a couple of times and stopped. Everything OK after that apart from the dipped headlight on indicator bulb now appears to have blown!!

2 separate problems or related?? Is there a "black box" somewhere that's keeled over?

My first Renault - wish I'd known about their reputation for electrical probs before buying!

Please keep the suggestions coming - I need all the help I can get!!

Cheers!

#5 ·
Hi TazzyK,

Whilst it doesn't help me I appreciate you taking the time out to reply. Nice to know I'm not the only one it's happened to.....if only mine had sorted itself out as easily! :)

I don't half miss the music - it's an 80 mile round trip to work and back each day and I'm getting really bored having to hum to myself all the way!!:yawn:

If anybody has any other suggestions I'll be very glad to hear them.

Cheers

#6 · (Edited)
I fear the dials going mental on start up is a result of your problem and not part of the cause.It is a sign that the battery is getting low,and this is probably as a result of the lights staying on and draining the battery.My car did the 'loopy dials' thing a few times last week,and eventually the battery cried enough (due to old age) and needed replacing.

#7 ·
Hi Lagdti,

I thought about the battery drain after unsuccessfully trying to fix the display problem, (that and the fact it lit up the car like a christmas tree when parked overnight!), so I disconnected the power to the display. The dial thing hasn't happened since so maybe battery was getting low or perhaps just "one of those things"?

Mentioned the problems I was having to a mate of mine who informed me that his sister works for a Renault dealer in Exeter (!!) Reckons that thro' her he can get one of their Techies to have a look as a favour - possibly this weekend. In light of what you have suggested, I'll ask them to check battery condition while they're at it.

Fingers crossed, eh! Will keep you all posted on any outcome.

Have a great weekend, all.

Cheers

#8 ·
UPDATE:
Unfortunately, techie was unable to look at it this weekend - hopefully next week then.

Oh, and as the sun came out this weekend....the air conditioning unit decided to pack up too!!
Perhaps this vehicle should be re-badged as the new Laguna MkI Shed!
:mad: :rant: :steam:

#9 ·
THREAD UPDATE!

Just in case this helps anybody in the future....

Turns out that the problem was caused by a blown chip in the radio/cassette unit itself! Following replacement of the chip - all a-ok!!

No more having to hum and whistle on the way to work! :d

#11 ·
Hi Mickyd,

I rang around several audio sales/repair shops (local Renault dealers were bloody useless for any info!) and happened to hit upon one that suggested that he had come across something similar once before and mentioned about this chip being the problem. He advised that the only way to tell was to replace the chip, so I bit the bullet and passed the unit into him.
Turns out that this was indeed the problem and got unit back all working again.

I live in Newton Abbot, Devon and took it to a local place called "Motorquip" - 01626 363 311 - (The actual work was sub-contracted by Motorquip to a local "repair guy"). I don't know where you live, but guess that it's likely to be too far away for this place to be of much use to you. Suggest you try your local auto AV sales/repair outlets first, but if I can offer any more info, gimme a shout.

Good luck! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.