Independent Renault Forums banner

Clio - Incorrect Speedo Reading.

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  VelSatisfied 
#1 ·
i a hoping one of you guys can help me.

I have a Clio MkII, 1998 S reg, 5 door 1.2

The car has always felt slow since i got it 2nd hand 4 years ago. but now having used a GPS and checked with other cars, my speedo is very wrong.

When the speedo says i am doing just under 40mph, I am actually only driving at 30mph.. When supposedly driving at 85mph Im really only just doing 70mph!

That is much more than a 10% error

Is there anyway to recalibrate the speedo? Or is it a Garage job?
any tips appreciated. Cheers guys

At least it explains why i have never had a speeding ticket! :rofl:

#2 ·
Hi kuzzard, Clio2 electronic speed sensors are a comon problem, its likely to be that ... do a search on clio speedo and speedo sensor, you will find plenty of info, the sensor is approx £30 from Renault and takes 5-10 mins to change or try cleaning it with a fibreglass pencil and contact cleaner ... the speedo head is sealed and not adjustable, it also costs approx £300 to replace, so it an easy choice to see which bit to try first.

Hope it helps :)

#3 ·
thanks for your reply.

Yeah, i read a few comments about the sensor, seems like there are issues aren't there.

But, alas my speedo recently died (intermittenly working) and ive had a replacement no less than 5 months ago, and the problem and speed shown is the same.

#4 · (Edited)
thanks for your reply.

Yeah, i read a few comments about the sensor, seems like there are issues aren't there.

But, alas my speedo recently died (intermittenly working) and ive had a replacement no less than 5 months ago, and the problem and speed shown is the same.
Hi, what was actually replaced sensor, harness or speedo head, as intermittent speedo working is almost 100% down to the sensor or the sensor connection.

:)

#6 ·
alas I dont know what part of the speedo got replaced as i had a few things done at the same. but the problem (i guess) has been present since i bought the car 5 years ago.

rather than spend more cash, i just use my sat nav for checking if i am going too fast.

at least i now know why i have never had a speeding ticket before.. :rofl:

#7 ·
I thought that the speed was taken from the ABS sensor? I know it is on the 182.

GPS speed calculation isn't all that clever IMHO my GPS say's i'm doing 32 when its on 28 going through speed traps yet under reads when i'm over a ton...

you need to have this checked properly. try matching pace with a mate on a bit of dual carridge way.

#8 · (Edited)
I thought that the speed was taken from the ABS sensor? I know it is on the 182.

The Clio2 Phase1 the speed is taken from the gearbox electronic speed sensor, The Clio2 Phase2 has a mixture of electronic speed sensor or ABS ... after about 2003 its the ABS that provides the speed.

If your car is a Clio2 PH2 check the gearbox ... if it has a speed sensor then check if it has a yellow band on it .... if so then you have one of the change over models and the speed in infact being taken from the ABS ... NO Yellow band? ... its the speed sensor thats providing the info.

Hope it helps :)

#11 ·
Just a thought which occured.

Are the tyres the correct size? If they have a smaller rolling circumference than what should be, then that would account for the speedo over-reading.

Another thought worth bearing in mind is that the car will appear to be covering a higher annual mileage (and devaluing itself in the process), than it actually is.

Although on the plus side, the car will give the impression of great MPG!

Paul:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.