Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Scenic - Engines - Diesel fuel filter replacement - 1.9DCI

63K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  PJS3124 
#1 ·
Hi,

I would be interested in any information or advise about changing the fuel filter on my 1.9 dci 2001 scenic. Is it a straight forward job or does the fuel system need bleeding after the new filter is fitted. I have the filter but don't want to proceed until I'm a little more clued up.

All help gratefully accepted.

Cheers

R1george :confused:

#2 ·
Unplug the pipes and temp wiring on top of the filter housing.

Remove the filter housing from the vehicle by pulling the cannister upwards. (it slots into a metal bracket and can be tight. A spray of WD40 on the slots will help free it up) Remove the single Torx40 screw and lift the lid.

Remove the old element, tip any remaining fuel out of the cannister, and fit new element.. If you buy a renault filter you will get two new seals that must be fitted to the Lid and screw head.

Replace the lid and refit to the vehicle and reattach the pipes/connector..

There should be a black rubber fuel priming bulb attached to the OSF wing near the filter. squeeze this bulb to prime/fill the fuel filter cannister. The bulb will go a little hard when the system is refilled.

Start the vehicle and away ya go.

#3 · (Edited)
WebCode said:
Unplug the pipes and temp wiring on top of the filter housing.

Remove the filter housing from the vehicle by pulling the cannister upwards. (it slots into a metal bracket and can be tight. A spray of WD40 on the slots will help free it up) Remove the single Torx40 screw and lift the lid.

Remove the old element, tip any remaining fuel out of the cannister, and fit new element.. If you buy a renault filter you will get two new seals that must be fitted to the Lid and screw head.

Replace the lid and refit to the vehicle and reattach the pipes/connector..

There should be a black rubber fuel priming bulb attached to the OSF wing near the filter. squeeze this bulb to prime/fill the fuel filter cannister. The bulb will go a little hard when the system is refilled.

Start the vehicle and away ya go.
Thanks for your reply but the type of filter you describe is different to the one fitted to my scenic. I have a sealed plastic housing which has to be replaced complete, it has 5 tubes coming from the top. Would I follow the same proceedure but just replace the whole assemble? Would I still have to prime the filter.

Thanks again

R1george

Can anybody help PLEASE :confused:

#28 ·
hi i changed my fuel filter the same way u did and when i start my car n drive it losses power,it doesnt rev by 2500 but if i leave it 15mins it goes ok. somebdy told me about it myt be letting in air?but where from caus it got connected the same way i disconnected the auld yin. thanks pal.

#6 ·
r1george said:
Hi,

I would be interested in any information or advise about changing the fuel filter on my 1.9 dci 2001 scenic. Is it a straight forward job or does the fuel system need bleeding after the new filter is fitted. I have the filter but don't want to proceed until I'm a little more clued up.

All help gratefully accepted.

Cheers

R1george :confused:
can i juat asked what made you change your fuel filter.its been suggested to me that i should do mine.it has only covered 33600 miles.and where is it?is it that black canister at front of engine on the left hand side.

#7 ·
Yes it is the "black Canister" as you have described..

It should be replaced regularly as it traps and holds any water that has contaminated the fuel..

#8 ·
WebCode said:
Yes it is the "black Canister" as you have described..

It should be replaced regularly as it traps and holds any water that has contaminated the fuel..
how often should it be changed?it has been suggested that i change mine as i am having jerking when i drive at steady speed but okay when foot down it is very poor performance at the lower end rev range as well.the car has covered 33000 miles but had the wrong fuel put in at 24000 miles(previous owner)would the filter not had been changed then?
cheers

#9 ·
I changed my filter because the car was ticking over irratically. The filter change helped it was easy to change as the system is self priming. All you do is disconnect all(5) the plastic hoses pull the old filter off the mounting plate fit new filter and all hoses. Turn ignition to on position and you hear the fuel pump bussing away, you also see the fuelpassing through the plastic hoses. when the pump stops the filter is primed job done.
The Dci engine is prone for the egr valve blocking up and this causes irratic running as well, mine was blocked solid.
The egr valve is mounted on the inlet manifold just to the right of the air filter it has 3 10mm screws holding it in place and has a single electrical connection. remove the 3 screws pull out valve (it can be a bit tight) and clean as best you can with carb cleaner, clean out any debris from manifold hole and replace valve.
I changed both filter and cleaned egr valve in just over an hour. Both jobs are easily done and would save a futune on Renault prices. Hope this helps

R1george.;)

#11 ·
I bought the filter from a local motor factors, the cost was about £30, renault quoted £48.
If you do decide to do it yourself check the shop supplies the correct filter because some try to supply the replacement element type. This is no good as yours should be the sealed type hence the extra cost.!!!

Hope this helps.

R1GEORGE :)

#13 ·
I totally agree, just put deposit on Mondeo tdci 130 estate:) to replace the Scenic. Loads more space and hopefully totally reliable but to be fair to my Scenic i've had 2 years trouble free motoring all i've done is kept it serviced myself so I know it's been done properly.
My Scenics up for sale now.
Happy motoring

Later

R1GEORGE:d

#14 ·
ive just got rid of a 2001 focus ghia tddi.and like your scenic i had 2 years absolutly trouble free,even at MOT time.to be fair all my cars have been ford and although there've had there probs none have broke down on me.i only got the scenic 4 weeks ago due to the lack of room fitting the kids in the focus.i spotted this scenic at a local dealer for £6499 with 33400 miles and loads more equiptment than ford i thought it was good deal,but already having probs and from what i can gather from this site that renault are not excactly top dog for realiability.still it could be worse the missus tried gettin me to buy the xsara piccasso

nthesx

#15 ·
r1george said:
I bought the filter from a local motor factors, the cost was about £30, renault quoted £48.
If you do decide to do it yourself check the shop supplies the correct filter because some try to supply the replacement element type. This is no good as yours should be the sealed type hence the extra cost.!!!

Hope this helps.

R1GEORGE :)
How much!:eek: Euro car Parts charge about £12!

#16 ·
I have just changed the same type of filter mysely and can confirm it is a straightforward job. Wasn't quite sure how to disconnect the pipes but all you do is press the buttons either side of the connector. Was also dubious about the system 'self bleeding', but it worked as described earlier. Filter was £29.95. Early days yet, but already the car seems livelier and fuel consumption seems to be getting better, but maybe thats just wishful thinking

#22 ·
hi jonboy

i hope you get it sorted a few machanics told me to take the car for a run down the motorway to blast it out well i tried it and put some fuel injector cleaner in before i went after i did this the car ran much better the idle smoothed out i gave it another shot of cleaner in the fuel and it seems to have cured it they say its because i do to many short runs and it just gets clogged up well they were right now its fine, and it even seems to have more power than before now im thinking to change the fuel filter for good measure

pete...............

#30 ·
Hi all, I've just replaced the fuel filter on my 2006 Scenic 1.9DCI but am unable to start it. I've filled up the filter manually before fitting (as advised by the Haynes manual) and squeezed the hand priming pump several times. I must admit that it didn't feel as though the pump was creating any pressure though.

I then turned over the engine several times (no more than 5 seconds at a time) but it never fired at all. Continued until battery ran out!

Grateful if anyone has any ideas. Should it self prime?

Many thanks,

Andy D

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.