Independent Renault Forums banner

RX4 - sell or keep and convert?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  madnoel10 
#1 ·
Advice required please. We bought a petrol X reg RX4 but after realising how expensive it was on fuel we bought a diesel and planned to sell the RX4. It hasn't sold yet and we are toying with the idea of keeping it and converting it to LPG. Obviously this will cost about £1500 so my question is: Is it worth it?

The car is a 2.0l and has done 100K. Should we keep it and convert it or should we just drop the price until it sells??

Husband and I are dithering, one day we're keeping it and the next it has to go! We need to make a decision and just do it!

#2 ·
Hi Smiley - when it comes to converting to LPG you need to do your sums. After spending £1500 on it how long would you have to keep it to get your money back. Depending on the amount of miles this could take up to 3 years. Sometimes it's more economical to cut and run - so to speak.:)

#3 ·
I know how you feel. I have the same problem. I am considering taking mine to Latvia where the conversion is more like about £500. Only setback the cost of fuel to get it to Latvia! Mine has done 140,000 so even more debatable whether it is worthwhile. I''m still thinking. I have also have a recurring problem with the alpha sensor or maybe it's the catalytic convertor (my friendly neighbourhood mechanic is not up to properly diagnosing the problem).

#4 · (Edited)
Hi Man of Oak - you will need to do the figures. How long do you have to keep the car or how many miles will you need to do before you reach the break even point. In other words when will you have recovered the £1500 investment for installing LPG. Whilst remembering the vehicle will be depreciating in value in the process. When it comes time to sell you are very unlikely to get £1500 extra on the price.:)
Motoring organisation such as the AA are even advising their members to consider this when buying a diesel versus a petrol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.