Independent Renault Forums banner

1998 Espace RXE back door lock

Tags
door lock rxe
3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Shaun wall 
#1 · (Edited)
This model uses an infra-red key and has only one external lock, in the pax door! (French driver's side, geddit!)

When one tries to lift the tailgate to get a double bass in and the door does not open at once its like "shhttt... What now?" I stuffed the bleedin' bass in a rear side door [for this I bought an Espace]

In eventually fixing the problem, I got lucky. That was after calling a Renault Dealer to be told it could be booked in for a fortnight. It would cost £50 to start with as in just to take the wagon into the service bay and since they had never done such a job before [for which read they hadn't a clue what they were doing]

how many arms and legs did I have? They reckoned it was going to cost as many as I'd got or more.

By trying to open the tailgate daily, sometimes many times daily, it eventually gave in a week later. I got to work at once. If one removes the interior panel from the tailgate it should be possible to open the door manually [as in with bare hands or a vicegrips] from inside the wagon. But how to remove the panel?

Well! I'm the first muggins to do it and you guys joined this Forum because guys like me are sometimes willing to share our expertise.

Remember I'm starting this job with tailgate fully open. First thing was to unscrew the lugs each side which actually lock the door down [just in case I should inadvertently shut the door at any stage].

Really simple with a 14 open, they were off in seconds. Remember the original problem? Right!

NOW YOU BETTER BELIEVE THIS.

With the door down [can't lock cause I removed the receivers] unscrew and remove the Fog Lamps from the tailgate. Carefully unclip the electric plugs. Put lamps to one side and look in the hole. Find a Torx screw in each side. Remove said screws and put them aside where you won't lose them. Yes! They are part of the panel retaining system.

Open the hinged rear-glass fully and find two buttons embedded in the upholstery, one beside each of the two 'ears' which pull out the shades.

Prise out these buttons. get a 1/4 drive socket rachet 6" extension and an 8mm socket. Search down in the hole in the dark and engage appropriate screw head, which then undo somewhat, but not totally. Yes! They are part of the panel retaining system.

Now go under the tailgate and around the edge you will find Torx screws at the corners which remove. You can now lift the panel off the tailgate.

hang in for a new thread on the lock itself.

See less See more
#4 ·
espace II back door panel

Hey Bracts2! Sad am I you had to do that awful job BEFORE you found my note. It's a problem with Renault Forums probably caused by the fact everything on here is voluntary. There is no workable search facility and I reckon there must be LOADS of useful techy stuff that we NEVER get to see. Maybe the reorganisation will put all the Espace II owners in touch with each other? Anyway, if you post (as you have done) it kicks out at my yahoo addy and I get to see it eventually so anytime you are stuck! ......... Shaun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.