Independent Renault Forums banner

Just bought a 2004 Laguna 1.9 DCI

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  V3MC 
#1 ·
Hey guys i am new to the forum so my apologies if i am posting in the wrong place my name is Charlie and i am from Chester just got myself a 2004 Laguna estate 1.9 dci 6 speed in blue from a local dealer here is the run down on the car.

Laguna 2004 blue 1.9 DCI 6 speed
168,800 miles on the clock
no service history
mot till august next year and tax till end of feb
broken passenger window mech and passenger wishbone bushes.

So obv with the car having no history and the oil being blacker then tar i ran a can on engine flush through it bit longer than was directed as i was unable to remove the sump plug and so had kwik git do it the next day so new oil + filter plus wynns oil treatment to help the engine after years of what i suspect neglect engine is now running alot quieter replaced all other service components air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter (alot of leafs came out lol) i am very keen to get the cambelt changed this is happening on Friday this week along with the aux belt water pump and tensioners have also ordered a new window mech from ebay and will be replacing the wish bone next week.

im very new to working on cars my self other than doing a few bits and bobs on an old pug 205 im planning on using this car to do a road trip around Germany in January which of course i will post pics of for you guys other than doing brake pads and disc's is there anything else you guys would do to this car to ensure it lasts i am still debating the fact that after the trip to either rebuild or buy a new/rebuilt engine and have it fitted and rebuild the old one my self learn more about the engine etc ino it sounds alot to do over a cheap car buy i really like driving it.

thanks for reading my rambles and apologies for any grammar issues :)

See less See more
#2 ·
The golden rule is never ever use an oil additive on a turbo diesel. It is essential the turbo has a good supply of fully syntheic oil to keep it cool and fully lubricated. Sadly the 1.9 Dci engine has a history of failing turbos costing around £300 plus if you can do the work yourself - if not a garage will probably charge around £500 upwards.

Good luck with the road trip. If it can be accomplished in a real cheap car all the better. Also if you intend to keep the car I advise you get yourself a good Renault compatible code reader (not cheap I'm afraid).

Happy motoring.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.