Independent Renault Forums banner

espace the race - nose and smoke below fuse box/battery

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Auntiebigbum 
#1 ·
I have a renault espace 2.2 dci the race 2002 plate. i have a bubbling noise occassionally by the fuse box/battery under the bonnet, some smoke and then a fan kicks in but the fan kicks in even after engine is off. It has happened three times now radomly with no pattern. As it doesnt happen very oftern ive never had anyone else about - until today when my friend also noticed it...but still no explanation. Ive tried today to get a manual but they dont do one. Is there a fan in this area and can anyone pls give me some advice what it could be. Dosnt help it doesnt happen very often. Many thanks

#2 ·
hi

err, yeah, wtf? your right there is no Espace2 haynes manual ??? i checked on the haynes site...

you could always search online for MR300ESPACE4 and grab all the other Reno espace manuals out there. so you have something to fall back on for reference.

bubbling noise sounds like air in the cooling system, you might have a blown head gasket, but should keep a close eye on the level of the coolant topup bottle and see if the coolant changes colour(oil contamination.)

it is common for the older renos to have problems with the electronic fan Thermostat, which can either decide to switch completely off or on which will need to be replaced, the thermostat is located on the right side of the radiator (usually) about half way down the side. be carefull to keep an eye on the temperature guage, if it overheats then stop the car immediatly and sort it out (paperclip between the contacts of the fan thermostat connector, which will keep the fan running to keep it cool) if you dont then you risk a warped head and blown head gasket.

if you are having interiror heating issues then you need to bleed the cooling system (bleed valves on teh top of the pipe into the interior heater(thumb screw), on the left of the radiator at the top(plastic thumb screw with screw head), and on the front right of the engine block(metal bleed valve bolt.)

Reactions: Auntiebigbum
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.