Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Master - Removing Lower Arms

30K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Cazum 
#1 ·
Hi I have a Renault master V reg 1999 T28 2.5d I have a problem with my lower ball joint its U/S and I need to replace it however I have just spent all afternoon trying to remove the lower arm and I can’t see how you can remove it. Does anyone know how, can anyone tell me how to remove the lower arm I believe I will have to have the ball joint press in and out or do I just get a complete lower arm this is what I would have done with my old car there are no rivets holding it on to the arm

Many thanks

Craiggasman

:confused:

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

The lower arms are a b4stard to remove and the joints are even worse to replace!.The arm is held by a long pin that runs the length of the arm,you need to remove the large nut from the front of the bar (30 or 32mm from memory) and then you can undo the bolts at the very back of the arm holding on a box type unit.Once this removed,you can then pull the pin out and the arm will come loose.

I changed a couple of these the other day and the joint was bl00dy tight to remove and press in,it would probably be an idea to remove the arm yourself and then take it to a garage or engineering workshop to have the old joint removed and the new one fitted.

Any problems with getting the arm off and I'll take some pictures of the ones we have at work and try and explain it a little better.:)

EDIT;Oh,and just to cheer you up,the upper arms are even worse!.:eek:

#3 ·
Many thanks for your reply. There is no nut in the box section just a what looks like a washer! I have tried knocking the bar through but no joy also the wishbone is not dropping to the floor after I have taken the joint off
Any more help would be grateful received

Many thanks
Craig

#5 ·
As mentioned above the pin runs through the lower arm

at the front of the pin there is a 30mm nut, you need to remove this

Then you need to remove 2 x 18mm nuts from the back of the pin that connect to the anti roll bar

Then from there you will see the backet that attaches the pin to the chassis. You need to remove 3 more 18mm bolts (2 that go through the chassis and 1 that goes through the bracket and into the pin.

Once that is removed if your lucky you can just turn the pin downwards and slide it rear wards..

If your not lucky like I was 2 days ago my pin was seized onto my lower arm... took 8 hours to get it out.... grinding heating cutting hammering

Then I made a silly mistake I ordered arms with a 22mm ball joint instead of 24mm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.