Independent Renault Forums banner

Megane 1.5 DCi cambelt replacement price, reasonable?

46K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ralph 
#1 ·
I need to get the cambelt changed on the Megane. Local place quoted an all inc price of £190 for a full kit with a 2 year/30k miles guarantee for up to £5k. Seems very comprehensive but apparently it only takes a couple of hours. What do the masses think of this price?

#2 ·
Before making a decision I'd find out exactly what they mean by a full kit.I would add at least an auxillary belt to the list they should be changing and find out what is in the kit they'd fit.

I'm not familiar with the 1.5 dCi,but I suspect that there should be at least one idler,a tensioner,and the cambelt may drive the water pump too so it might be an idea to have that changed to.

#4 · (Edited)
He has a real good reputation locally. He just refers to it as a "full kit". I'll aask more tomorrow though. Heres the spec from his quote.

Make RENAULT
Model-Series X84/P1
Model MEGANE DYNAMIQUE DCI
Engine Model Code K9KTHP
Fuel Type DIESEL
Engine Capacity 1461
Power (KW) 59.7
Transmission MANUAL
No. of Gears 5
Body Style 3 DOOR HATCHBACK

£190.59 full kit supplied and fitted inc parts labour & 15% VAT.

Quality of Parts

Cambelts (timing belts) fitted by us are manufactured by Gates Powergrip. This manufacturer supplies belts to be fitted in most auto manufacturing plants worldwide and are used in Honda, Toyota, Vauxhall, Ford, BMW, Rover, Renault to mention a few.

Our Guarantee

All cambelts fitted are subject to a 30,000 mile 2 year written guarantee. This guarantee is very comprehensive and is underwritten by Norwich Union and includes up to £5000 of rebuild cost in the unlikely event of failure. Included in the guarantee are three free return visits for checking of the installation. Although there is no dismantling carried out during these visits, sensitive detection equipment is sometimes used to listen for noises from the cambelt area. These visits ensure that our installation and your peace of mind are kept safe. These visits are carried out while you sit in the car and take around 2 minutes per visit.

Staff

Out of our staff of ten, only 1 of 3 persons will work on your cambelt. The youngest is 43 yrs old and and all three have a lifetime of experience in auto repairs. Martin Woodhouse, one of the three, is an expert and advisor to BBC Watchdog. You will never find a young inexperienced 20 year old working alone on your cambelt which is very common in most main dealers.

Video

All of our fitting bays and ramps have the facility to record to video your cars stay in our workshop. This is useful as once a belt is fitted you would not know that the job had in fact been done without major dismantling of the engine. Many people think that the belt which is seen under the bonnet is the cambelt. It is not. Rather one is looking at the auxillary drive belt. Rembember that when we give you the video, we are passing to you court admissible evidence of the work carried out. This stands as assurance to anyone buying the car from you as rock solid guarantee that the work has been carried out and to a high standard.

Workshop

We have the most up to date facility in Rayleigh. It is both clean and calm. Remember that cleanliness is absolutely vital when fitting cambelts. The inclusion of blown grit or dust into the area will severely shorten the life of the belt and it is something that we would never consider doing on a mobile basis. There is no area of our works that is not open to public scrutiny and you are very welcome to visit anytime, unannounced, in order to see our works.

http://www.cambeltking.biz/WIKFD/service.asp?ccd=cambelt_king_rayleigh

#5 ·
thats a decent price 2 months ago it cost me £225 for a cambelt and water pump change.now i have have discovered i need a new engine. you dont happen to know the engine code for a 03 megane 1.5dci 80. looks like its gon na cost me an arm and a leg cheapest quote i've a for a recon engine is £850 +vat +del

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.