Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Clio - Horn Not Working*FIXED*

37K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Amiz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi
I am a new member, so excuse me if this is already posted somewherem, but i have searched everything to try find the answer and i cant.
I have a 1998 Renault Clio 1.6 RXE and i have couple questions that i hope someone might no the answer to!
firstly my horn doesnt work, it did when we first got it last year (mind you when it did work it was pretty poor) i dont think its the switch on the side of the steering wheel i think its actually the horn.
i have seen on various sites to check the wires etc....
I wouldnt even know where to start looking for my horn. i know its under the bonet but dont have a clue where, so thats my first question...WHERE IS MY HORN?
secondly when i eventually find it what am i looking for?
cables, box an actuall horn. some people say check the cables if there ok you need a new horn, how much are these? and can i fit it my self.
the second question is when i bought it my Dad said the cluth was very high, something about adjusting to its max without replacing it...anyway in the last couple months sometimes i am finding it dificult to change gear and sometimes i have to list my foot of the cluth and push it down again and its fine. do you think this could be related to this and if so will this be pulled up in a MOT. also if i have to fix it, do i need to change the whole cluth and how much will that cost?

i need to know ASAP as i have an MOT at the end of the month and wanna fix it before i go..

Please Help

Amy

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Amoz - the horn/s are up behind the front bumper on the front right - to gain access you will need to remove the front right wheel and undo the plastic cover to gain access. After-market horns are available from motor factors from around £7 upwards. Do you Know if the clutch is cable or hydraulic - if cable operated it could be the self-adjusting system is seized or broken. If hydraulic it could be either a duff master cylinder or slave cylinder. Unless the clutch is slipping or you cannot engage gear I doubt that aspect would result in MOT failure.:)

#6 ·
Sorry.....better late than never.:eek:

It'll look like this.....

Or this.....

Once you've found it,sometimes they'll start working if you get someone to operate the horn button and you give the horn a few hard taps.:d

#7 ·
Hi

Thanx i found it didnt have to take the wheel off thank god...could reach it from under the bonet.
it turned out i needed a new horn, which i got for 6.50 what a bargain! so i changed it starting make a noise but a strange noise so my dad changed the contact on the wire and now works a treat

Thank you all for your help!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.