Independent Renault Forums banner

Laguna II - Correct Tyre Pressure for the 17" ?

18K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tomshine 
#1 ·
Afternoon all :)
Before shooting me down, i have read into the 'tyres' part in the articles section, but not got a definate answer...
Am using our laguna II as my motorway miler....
Its got 86k full service history and as far as i know, has lead a good life with 1 owner before us for 6 years (its an 03)...
I've done around 13k miles in it for the past year.....
Its the 1.9dci Dynamique... Am guessing prev owner had the tyre pressor sensors disabled as i cant see any indications for them on this car or in dashboard or display above stereo......
What i need to know is the correct pressure to use...
It has the 17" silverstone alloys, with 225/45/17 tyres... I am told to use 32psi on front, and 30psi on rear??? Am also told to use 34psi on front, and 32psi on rear ?? Garage who fitted 2 new tyres put them upto 38psi (car drives very smoothly at that pressure)......
Which is correct to use? at the mo, tyres are running 34psi front and 32psi rear, but the car feels as if its sluggish and pulls a bit to the right....
When tyres were at 38psi, it felt very in-control to drive, but according to google searches and reading here, thats too much pressure ? My nissan 200sx uses same tyre size and runs 32psi in all tyres, and thats a light car! so i would have thought this would need more Pressure ?
Cheers all
Stuie :eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Stuart - welcome to the forum.

What does the drivers handbook recommend??
If you don't have one you may be able to download one from the Renault UK website in pdf format.

My Handbook says

Normal driving.
Front = 2.2 Bar
Rear = 2.1 Bar

Motorway or full load.
Front = 2.5 Bar
Rear = 2.2 Bar

Tyre pressures are not necessarily dependent on weight but also on rating and weight distribution, rim type, etc.:)

#4 ·
Depends on whether its loaded or not. I have the same wheel/tyre set up and run 2.3 bar all round (33psi). Running higher than that makes potholes too jarring and also means you run the risk of wearing the centre of the tyre out via over inflation.

Motorway work or loaded up i will put another 0.2 bar (3psi) in.

#5 ·
Cheers for the replies :)
Well, the car covers 110 miles per day, and 4 miles is small road, the rest All Motorway.....

The owners book does state 32psi for Front, and 30psi for rear.....
Google searches say 34psi front, and 32 rear....

But as you say, when it comes to motorways, best to put more in....
So on that note, if i put 36psi on the front, and 34psi on the rear, would you say thats OK ?

Car isnt loaded with bits, just me sat in it! :D Just a bit lost with conflicting info, and the tyres actually looking like they need more air making the steering feel heavy!

#6 ·
While Renault are correct with tyre pressure that was for the tyre's it came with.
Once you change brands this can vary.
Your looking for what feels right and has good contact on ground. There is some wriggle room to play with
You can do a chalk test if you think your too high.
Put chalk on a section of tyre across the tread and drive forward
It should leave a full width foot print that is as wide as your tread pathern. Lenght is unimportant.
A very short drive and the chalk shoul have worn off the width of tyre evenly.
It's a crude method. But it will help you stay within the limits if the tyre pressure range.
As previously said. Too much air centre of tyre wears to little and sides wear faster.

I had my tyre sensors turn off because they where problematic. After years of repairs and readjustments I got too low too high pressure intermittently then when I finally did have a puncture it showed all wheels
to be ok. Best decision I made. Later when getting 4 new tyres two of the valves where corrode so at no charge all sensors where removed and replaced with standard valves. Means it's possible to rotate tyre's now without hassle.

Hope this helps

FYI
My 17" low profile look like they are a little soft because of the brand of tyre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.