Independent Renault Forums banner

Camshaft sensor faulty + battery drain. Megane 2004 1.6 petrol

103K views 79 replies 17 participants last post by  donbrenansgoodleg 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have had some issues with my megane recently.
On the 5th of this month, it started to cut out when idling/coasting, service and engine light came up.
On the 9th, I went to start it and the battery was dead, RAC replaced the battery and told me that the fault code was a Camshaft sensor(Sensor A).

I ignored the cutting out issue and figured that I'd just have to live with it until I could be bothered to buy a new sensor, until last week when the battery died again.

RAC came out again and replaced the battery and all was fine until yesturday when the battery has died again.

Now I've done lots of research on this matter and it seems like it's all linked to this sensor and/or dephaser solenoid.

I'd like to change this sensor now, however I'm unsure of it's location.

Now I've seen this post http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10062

However it is refered to as the TDC sensor, is that the camshaft sensor?

Or is it the camshaft sensor that is on the top left of the engine that can be accessed easily?

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Now I've seen this post http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10062

However it is refered to as the TDC sensor, is that the camshaft sensor?

Or is it the camshaft sensor that is on the top left of the engine that can be accessed easily?
TDC sensor is below the thermostat housing on top of the gearbox.

The cam shaft sensor is next to the oil filler point and is held in place by the same torx bolt that retains No 4 coil.

#9 ·
i had this problem on my megane o3 1.5dci...i had the TDC sensor cleaned by a mechanic..so fa so good, the engine hasnt cut out or any rough idleing..if it happens again ill replace the TDC sensor...the one for my car is held on by one 10mm bolt and is in roughly the same p[ostion..

G
#15 · (Edited)
Sorry the pic is a bit out of focus. On the 2.0 F4R engine the sensor is held in place by No 4 coil bolt. So I made the assumption the 1.6 K4M being so similar would have been the same? Well now I know different :)

I see comparing the 2 photos the 1.6 cam shaft sensor is further to the left. I have worked on a 1.4 Scenic and several 2.0 Scenics yet to get my spanners on a 1.6 Scenic yet! sure I will though as I have picked up a new cam belt and water pump kit cheap.

#16 ·
The entire sensor looks completely different to mine, the wire connecting to yours looks different as well.

Just been looking on another site that has some engine diagrams.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r227/busternlouie/ENGCOMP04.jpg

This says the actual sensor is on the other side of my engine!?

Seems like the plot is thickening

Attachments

G
#17 ·
Well I don't think that is right? there is no sensor on that side of any of these engines that I have seen?

I have a 201 1.4 Scenic with the K4J engine and as far as I'm aware it's almost identical to the 1.6 K4M. Both engines use the same head gasket and cylinder head bolts, same size engine valves water pump and cam belt. The 1.4 however does not have a de phaser pulley so hence there is no cam shaft sensor of any sort.

My GF has a 2002 2.0 16 valve Scenic Fidji this engine is extremely similar to the K4J and K4M. But from our photos the cam senors are different sizes and located slightly differently.

I have repaired both our MK1 Phase 2 Scenic's 1.4 and 2.0 engines after cam belt failure so feel I know them fairly well. THey also fit these same engines in the Scenic II with some slight differences to the air intake manifolds from what Ihave seen.

#18 ·
I do have some sensor where I've marked but haven't been out there and took it out yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to take both things out and do some further research

Would you be able to post a picture of your camshaft sensor if you have one available?

Will be interesting to see what the "thing" is on the right side of my engine is, maybe it's this valve and in the diagram they are swapped around..

G
#24 ·
Okay now we have waded through the confussion of cam shaft sensors and dephaser solenoids and where they are located. It seems to me the earlier pre 2003 engines on the earlier Scenics don't have cam shaft sensors?

Though isn't the battery drain problem caused by a current being supplied to the dephaser solenoid after the engine hs been switched off?

#28 ·
well the dealer i work at is in london and we would charge no more than an hour for doing the battery test , drain test to confirm where the discharge is from , resetting the electrics of the car , the reprogramming itself (which can take approx 1/2 hour, sometimes quicker sometimes longer), clearing the fault codes in all ecu's and retest. we charge £72 + vat an hour , so would be £84.60 at the moment, but all changes from tomorrow due to 20% vat so slightly more.
i am not 100% sure of the actis repair number otherwise i would give it to you to give to them , and dont want to lead them the wrong way , but will check it tomorrow and get back.

#29 ·
hi if its the same engine as the scenic 1.6 the cam shaft sensor is under the first coil pack next to battery. unclip coil pack and remove with 10mm socket there is another 10mm bolt going into the head, that is the cam shaft sensor it has a wire that is clipped onto it just unclip it and unscrew with a 10mm spanner its a bit fiddly as you just need to loosen and get both hands in and work free.
take the sensor out and replace the rubber for the old on to the new and screw back in, reclip wire and replace coil.
the engin management light will go of automaticaly in about 2 days or mine did anyway
hope this helps it only takes about 10mins to do and is very easy it will save you approx £200

#30 ·
Unfortunatly cockers I'm in coventry and don't really want to drive to london - unless it's going to be a massive saving compared to Renault, if you can confirm the total cost then maybe.

markanderson783, by unclip the coil pack is that the black plasticy thing ? I have tried taking the bolt out next to the coil nearest the battery but it's pretty tight.
I assume you were having the battery drain issue as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.