Renault Clio 172 Pedal Potentiometer??? - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Electronics

Notices

Electronics In Car Entertainment (ICE), Sat-Nav, lighting, wiring etc.

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Renault Clio 172 Pedal Potentiometer???

Electronics

Old 12th August 2010   #1
dan1miller
dan1miller is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Clio 172 Pedal Potentiometer???

hi all this my first post so hello,

my lovely clio sport 172 has gone into limp mode and my very helpful friend has connected his computer to my car and received follwing fault code:
297: Pedal Potentiometer Track 1 Circuit

he seems to think i need to change the pedal as its got black box attached which holds the sensors, will this solve the problem??? as i have heard it could either be the pedal or could it be throttle body????? basically im asking does anyone know if this fault code is new pedal or new throttle body
thank you people
Currently in dan1miller's garage:
2002 Renault Clio Sport 172
dan1miller is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by dan1miller
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Clio 172 Pedal Potentiometer??? Electronics dan1miller 3 5025 12th August 2010 06:22 PM
Clio 172 fuel cut off switch??? location? Engines hondo 1 4878 22nd March 2010 03:36 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th August 2010   #2
madnoel10
madnoel10 is
has no status.
Technical Supremo

Nominated 54 Times in 53 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 21
Thanked 3,714 Times in 3,534 Posts
Re: Renault Clio 172 Pedal Potentiometer???

Renault ECU's use a different protocol than most other European manufacturers so not all code readers are compatible and if inappropriate will likely throw up either generic or erroneous codes which can be very misleading. As limp mode restricts the engine rpm via the throttle his code reader may actually be picking up this restrictive signal and not actually be able to gain access to the likely areas producing the fault if you get my drift.
Before lashing out and buying parts which may not cure the problem I would recommend you ensure a proper diagnostic is carried out using suitable equipment. Plus some replacement components then need to be programmed to suit the ECU.
Limp mode can arise as a result of numerous problems. Even a duff ignition coil can trigger this mode.
Before going into limp mode had you any problems or unusal running problems?

Can your mates kit read live data and if so is it showing anything unusual?
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
madnoel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010   #3
Lagdti
Lagdti is
back.....sort of...:o)
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo

Nominated 18 Times in 18 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,024 Times in 896 Posts

Firstly the pedal should be checked using a decent quality multimeter,there are two 'tracks' inside the box on the pedal,one goes from a high resistance to a low resistance as you press the pedal,the other goes in the opposite direction (i.e high to low resistance).If you can work out which pins do what on the pedal then this can be checked using a multimeter and the pedal can be confirmed as being good or bad.The pedal will work on a 5 volt feed so you may also be able to read the voltage movement (one track will go 0v-5v,the other 5v to 0v).If you have a decent scanner it might even show the values from the pedal or at least whether the pedal is showing open and closed throttle or a percentage of throttle opening.

To be honest it's unusual for a pedal just to give up straight away,they will often give intermittant problems or general running problems before finally giving up,so it could be a broken wire in the system between the ECU and the pedal.Again,finding some pin out data and using a multimeter will confirm whether this is the problem or not.

From memory the pedals aren't cheap so you really do need to do some further diagnostic work as there is nothing worse than spending money on parts that you might not need.
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2003 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagen (estate to you and me!) and a 1994 Land Rover Discovery 300Tdi with a 2'' lift kit and some girt knobbly tyres on it....
Lagdti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010   #4
dan1miller
dan1miller is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

hi its actually gone into limp mode a couple times before then turn car off and start up again an its out of it?? we connected the computer to car and came up with about 5 faults but most of them due to car goin into limp mode, so we cleared codes and started car up then re scanned faults, and it only came back up with the pedal pontentiometer track 1 circuit so therefore its makin me think it is actually that, also the pedal has been replaced with second hand one before as i can see where its been marked from breakers, i will have a go at trying to get multimeter on it an do tests as you suggest
Currently in dan1miller's garage:
2002 Renault Clio Sport 172
dan1miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
172, clio, pedal, potentiometer, renault