Renault Scenic III electric handbrake problem - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Electronics

Notices

Electronics In Car Entertainment (ICE), Sat-Nav, lighting, wiring etc.

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Renault Scenic III electric handbrake problem

Electronics

Old 28th June 2013   #1
Nic2k83
Nic2k83 is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Scenic III electric handbrake problem

My two week old used Renault Scenic III (59 plate) has developed a fault with the electronic handbrake.

Basically it stopped auto disconnecting when pulling away which is something it is supposed to do, instead I have had to release it manually.

Anyway the local indepedent garage here to me detected a fault with the part that controls the sensor, Renault sent him a new one and it has been fitted today.

I have test driven the vehicle and the handbrake now auto disconnects, but they orange spanner light on the dashboard has not gone out (it is always on a constant orange) and neither has the message memorised on the dash that still reads "check parking brake"

How do I clear the orange spanner light and why has the electronic system not detected that the part/sensor has been fixed?

I just spoke to the garage and they said run it for a while and it might clear itself.

I'm happy enough to do that but does it need reprogramming or something?

The garage are telling me they have plugged it into a diagnostic machine and all fault codes have been cleared and no other fault codes are showing.

So why is the light still showing?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Nick
Currently in Nic2k83's garage:
Renault Scenic III 2009 (59 plate)
Nic2k83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5 Lastest Threads by Nic2k83
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Scenic 3 Engine Oil Type Engines Dinnie 4 1174 26th September 2013 02:04 PM
Renault Scenic Tunepoint smartphone compatibility? Electronics Nic2k83 2 1390 19th August 2013 12:54 PM
Renault Scenic III electric handbrake problem Electronics Fergusap 6 4926 28th June 2013 03:55 PM
Scenic III 2009 (59 plate) DPF Exhausts Nic2k83 0 813 10th June 2013 11:58 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th June 2013   #2
bigiainw
bigiainw is
all better now
I'm a drummer, I hit things!

Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Renault Scenic III electric handbrake problem

It is unlikely that a local garage will have the correct tool for removing this fault code. unless they have the renault system, which is probably unlikely, this is a code that generic code readers will not remove. What does usually happen with these codes is that they do reset themselves after a number of drive cycles. How many I can't say exactly, but it's usually 5 or 10. If if doesn't though, you might need a dealer compatible machine to reset it, or there is still an issue, regardless of the main problem being sorted.
Currently in bigiainw's garage:
2011 Renault Grand Scenic Dynamique Tomtom 1.9dCi in Ruby red metalic/ 2006 Renault Clio III 1.2 16v 3dr Extreme in Post Box Red/ 2013 Renault Trafic LL29 2.0 dCi (euro 5) Sport Passenger in Luxurious Gun Metal Grey with Cruise control, now with parking sensors!!!
bigiainw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bigiainw For This Useful Post:
Nic2k83 (29th June 2013)
Old 29th June 2013   #3
Nic2k83
Nic2k83 is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Thanks for that information, it is what I am thinking as well to be honest.

I tried to reset it by using the stalk that controls this trip computer, but all that did was reset my service interval mileage countdown back to 18,000 miles it did not remove the "check parking brake" message or the orange spanner.

I hope there is not another issue beyond the parking brake fault, I am hoping that if I can get a diagnostic machine to reset it then everything will be fine and I won't get anymore errors.

If the computer has stored more than one error though, wouldn't it tell me if I scrolled through the trip computer?
At the moment the screen that usually says "no message memorised" currently says "check parking brake" but I know that has been fixed, it's the just the computer thinks that it hasn't.

So would it not display any other errors at the same time, or does that existing message need clearing first?

Near where I work there is a performance car dealer that a guy I work with knows and they have alot of diagnostic machines on site.
On Monday I will see if they can plug my car in as a favour and try to clear the codes and messages.
If they can, then I will drive the vehicle and see if the computer spouts off anymore messages or if the spanner light reappears.
If it does, then I will have to take it to a main dealer, which to be frank will annoy me because that'll be expensive and living in Cornwall I am miles away from the nearest Renault dealer.

Not happy really, but such is the way.

Thanks again for your help.
Currently in Nic2k83's garage:
Renault Scenic III 2009 (59 plate)
Nic2k83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2nd September 2013   #4
theCrab
theCrab is
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic2k83 View Post
Anyway the local indepedent garage here to me detected a fault with the part that controls the sensor, Renault sent him a new one and it has been fitted today.
Hi Nick.
Do you have the old part that was removed?

Regards
Neil
Currently in theCrab's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic EX-ION II 1.5dci
theCrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3rd September 2013   #5
Scenic 11
Scenic 11 is
Lancs Dave moobies are getting bigger!!
Platinum member

Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post

Try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes, firstly put your sidelights on, disconnect the battery, wait about 5 minutes, reconnect the battery, switch off sidelights, hopefully your fault should be cleared.

Doesn't work all the time but worth a try

Oh don't forget to have your radio code handy as it will need resetting!
Currently in Scenic 11's garage:
2010 Scenic111 Dynamique Tomtom 1.9dCi

Last edited by Scenic 11; 3rd September 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added info
Scenic 11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electric, handbrake, iii, problem, renault, scenic

Quick Reply
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.