Independent Renault Forums banner

Semi-Auto Clio Problems

27K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mishmash27 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm at risk of making myself sound like a bit of a noob here, but I'm really getting quite desperate! Be kind to me, I've only been driving for 7 months, and really don't know much about cars, so being stuck with a car that probably should be called Herbie isn't ideal.

I bought a semi-auto Clio back in December and have had nothing but grief with it since, and every mechanic I've taken it to seem to be at a complete loss.

My driveway is on a slope, not a massive slope but the car doesn't like it, I put it into reverse and it rolls, and it picks up momentum very very quickly, this was an issue for me to begin with but I've now come to accept that there's nothing anyone can do for it (well so I've been told) and I deal with it. The car rolls on the slightest slope, and it struggles to go up if there is a slight upwards slope in the road, I'm not kidding, it's pathetic.

It's really quite jumpy when it changes gears usually between 1 and 2. And my rev count is getting higher and higher everytime I drive it between gears 1 & 3, and it seems to be more unwilling to change gear.

I have only driven it in manual once before, because I learnt in an automatic and only have an auto licence so the idea of having to change gears is a bit daunting for me, I know that legally I am allowed to drive it manually but I don't want to cause an accident with my lack of confidence!

A couple of months ago I had the factory settings restored and that made a small difference to the rolling and the easiness in gear changes for about 2 weeks.

Then yesterday I took it in for a service, picked it up and it was having none of it. Severe lack of acceleration to the point that my dad was driving round a huge roundabout at 2 miles an hour with his foot literally touching the ground. This has happened once before.

So needless to say it is currently back in the garage, but I'm at my wits end with it as I can't seem to go about a month or so without it ending up with a mechanic for one reason or another.

Sorry for the ramble, was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar with semi-autos, or whether it is just my car that needs to be scrapped?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Claire,

I am sorry to read about the problems you are having with your Renault Clio Quickshift. Whether or not there is an actual fault with the box I don't know, but these types of automatic are not too all tastes and can be quite different to driving a standard torque converter or CVT automatic. Please let me explain to you about the semi auto gearbox on your car. Your car has a 5 speed Quickshift automated manual gearbox. Basically the gearbox is manual and the clutch action is controlled to some extent automatically by an electro hydraulic actuator, so when you drive along in auto mode or in manual mode when the car changes gear or you change gear the clutch action is done for you. Now as the clutch on these to some extent is like a manual clutch, I know you learnt in an auto but when you are on an incline, if your foot is not on the accelerator pedal the 2 clutch plates are apart (like having the clutch depressed in a manual the 2 clutch plates are apart) and there is no drive to the wheels, so if you release the handbrake the car will roll backwards. What you should do is foot on foot brake, put the car into gear (manual or auto mode) and then apply a little accelerator as though you are doing a hill start as you would in a manual (but without the clutch), you will feel the clutch start to bite and then as the clutch plates bite release the handbrake and drive as you would normally. As far as gear changing in auto mode goes using gentle acceleration will give smoother gear changes and if you are driving around a bend or turning into a road slow down before and drive round with the car under power, do not lift off or ease off the accelerator as this can cause the box to shift up and the car to feel unsettled. Manual mode you can use when going up or down a steep hill or when driving around a series of bends where you don't want the box changing up and down on its own, you control the gears. If you are stopped in traffic, unless its just for a short time in which case holding on the footbrake is ok, then you should apply the handbrake and go into neutral. Do not leave in automatic or manual with the handbrake on or with the engine at high revs to balance the car on a hill as this will cause rapid wear to the clutch. When you are parking then park in gear, apply the hand brake and then switch off the engine. If the handbrake fails then the car will not roll back, like it would in neutral.

Hope this is of some help to you. Any questions just ask.

Harry.

#3 ·
i from malaysia using clio semi auto gear box. malaysia proton call savvy car. the problem is the indicator auto light on then the gearshifter cant change and jump to neutral gear. untill now nobody know what problem. :devil: dont know repair the problems..
:cool:malaysia is heavy rain and hot sun.

#7 · (Edited)

Fill the reservoir to the top...

Crack open the BleedNipple.......then

Attach soft poly tubing.......START ENGINE.

Drain down into a bottle.

Keep the reservoir topped fully all the while.

When DARK oil stops coming out & the CLEAN new fluid appears.... STOP ENGINE & Nip up bleed valve.

Top up Reservoir to correct level.

3litres needed.... Renault says enough to do it thoroughly! :mechanic:

thanks to SAVOC.NET members for this info.

:loser:
knownClone

#8 ·
hi im new to the forum thingy and dont know the protcol but i have just bought a semi automatic renault clio 52 plate it has a button on the gear stick to change it from auto to semi auto.. i was driving it home and a little icon appeared under the gear number on the dash and when i slowed down it automatically change to semi auto.. then it asked me to put my foot on the brake and i struggled to get it going?? is it something im doing wrong or is something wrong with the car? help please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.