Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Scenic 1.9 dci Blown Turbo

18K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  angela6 
#1 ·
My car is 4 years old and has been serviced by Renault from new as per the Renault requirements. Some 3 weeks ago my car lost power and started to pump out smoke. The car was taken to Renault Dealer where a repair was done. A broken EGR valve. The car has been running ok and has done 1000 miles until last Saturday night on the M6 when I lost power and again was pumping out smoke, in addition when the car was stopped the engine started to race at high revs. The engine could not be turned of at the ignition or by removing the battery lead, eventualy it was stopped by stalling the engine, in the mean time the fire brigade had been called as a consequence of all the smoke. As a consequence the car had to be recovered to a Renault dealer. Today I have been informed of the fact that the turbo has blown and that the repairs will be nearly £3,000. on reading various items on the internet there seems to be problems with the EGR valves and subsequent turbo failures. I have reported the facts to Renault Customer Service and as you can appreciate I am very unhappy about this situation and the pottential of known faults. I would value any advice regarding my situation as I have lost any confidence in Renault. I would like to know if the failed EGR valve was warning of a pottential turbo problem. Should the turbo have been checked as part of the repair process.
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/images/smilies/mad.gif
:mad:

See less See more
#3 ·
£3000 is about what another member said this forum saved him when at first his dealer tried to fob him off. He took this forum's advice and progressed his complaint to senior management in Customer Services and they paid 95% and 100% on the ensueing damages. I'm looking for the thread now and I'm very sorry that I have only just come across this thread.

Even If you have paid up, it doesn't mean you haven't got a case to press Renault for a refund.

#9 ·
Reanault paid 100% of the cost, however when the car was tested there was still a problem. This resulted in a new engine total cost near £6,000 in all. The total cost was picked up by Renault.http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thumbs up
Hi Jonathan; I'm sorry I have only just spotted this result (I don't always remember to ask for instant email notification when I post, that's why). I glad we were able to help you put your case forward and that you were given the deserved consideration by RCS. Well done YOU.. and keep posting.

#6 ·
So does one follow the other ?

So am I reading that a failed EGR valve inevitably leads to Turbo failure :( . My EGR failed on New Years day and has just been fixed, so I am a VERY worried man right now. Does anyone know of anything to look for.

This is my first post on this super forum by the way.

Cheers

#7 ·
So am I reading that a failed EGR valve inevitably leads to Turbo failure :( . My EGR failed on New Years day and has just been fixed, so I am a VERY worried man right now. Does anyone know of anything to look for.

This is my first post on this super forum by the way.

Cheers
By some accounts, the turbos on some models are destined to fail anyway but cleaning the egr valve may postpone it. That is only my personal interpretation of what I have read in these posts.

Having said that, it needs to be acknowledge that in all (I think "all") cases discussed on this forum and where advice from us has been taken up, Renault have honoured their resposibility. It is commendable that they do so and we certainly hope they will continue. That is not to say that many of us (myself included) do not remain disappointed by their response to other matters, but I do wish to be fair all round.

I have negotiated with other companies that have not always taken a very considerate view, so it is commendable that Renault (when approached at the right quarters) do respond with initiative and commonsense.

#10 ·
Thanks for that, we will see what happens. I now have a nice shiny new EGR valve and the engine seems to be quieter than before, it used to sound very "clanky". I'll just drive equipped for breakdown in future.
:driving:

Good luck! I think this is the model that suffers from a swollen (bulged) intercooler too. If so, check to see if it is reinforced by straps and if not, there may also be a problem with pipe sizes/type leading to/from it. A search for intercooler should yield results. If you have the googlebar, you can easily search this site with google for words that are specific to what you want.

#11 · (Edited)
hi i am having the same problems my turbo has gone on my scenic magane and it was in renault, i know nothing about cars but i was wondering if they are at fault for mine, my car is 2004, will it still apply, my car was in renault for a replacement dash circiuit as i had no display at all, i have had to remove it from renault this morning via a recovery vehicle as they said it's not there fault and i need to know where i stand, i have been intouch with trading standards but i need to know if the cars age is against it, i have had this car 13 months and have had nothing but trouble with it, ive just paid renault £150 pounds to replace the dash i dont known what to do i need help and advice from someone before i have a nervous breakdown it.s making me really ill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.