Independent Renault Forums banner

Scenic II front brake pad replacement

93K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  marcusdav 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok folks here follows a tutorial on replacing the front brake pads on a Scenic II.

As we'll be pushing the pistons back into the calipers there is a chance you might spill some brake fluid from the reservoir unless you remove the cap to allow the fluid back.
Pics 1, 2 & 3 show the engine cover in place and removed & how to gain access to the reservoir.

Jack up the front of the car and remove the wheel centre cap to gain access to the wheel nuts. Remove the wheel and you're confronted with the brake disc & caliper assembly ( Pics 4,5 & 6 )

Turn the steering outwards to allow better access to the caliper.
Use a large flat blade screwdriver to push back the piston into the caliper, by levering between the back of the brake pad and the caliper, until the piston is fully pushed back ( pics 7 & 8 )

Loosen then remove the top and bottom caliper bolts then remove the caliper ( pics 9 & 10 )

You'll then be left with the carrier part of the caliper and the pads ( pic 11 )

Remove the pads and small metal clips ( pics 12, 13 & 14 show the bits removed and a comparison between old and new pads)

Fit the new pads and clips - remembering to copaslip any areas where the pads come in contact with the clips then refit the outer part of the caliper & remember to tighten both bolts ( pics 15 & 16 )

Before you replace the wheel remember to pump the brake pedal until you feel the pedal as it was before you started - unless you have a morbid desire to crash your car !

Lower the car to the floor then do the same on the opposite side :d If you're only doing the front brakes, check the level in the reservoir and top up with Dot 4 fluid if needed, then replace the cap and the engine cover.

See less See more
#31 ·
Thanks for that.

Once they start coroding is it the end and need replacing? Have rear disks but hard to know where the loudish grinding type noise is coming from.

I know the rear discs are usually replaced with the bearings too and cost about £175 :crazy: for the solid discs alone! Front and rears then about £250 plus new pads and labour. Great eh? :d

#34 ·
Calipers don't look like mine?

Hi,

Did rear pads on my 08 plate Scenic 2 , 30 mins easy.

Got to fronts and the pics don't match this tutorial. I gave TEVES calipers. It would seem there are 2 bolts need Allen key for under rubber caps. I am presuming that once done the caliper will come apart as normal?

Just a bit nervous as there seems to be springs on the outside and clips on the pads.

Any advice appreciated.

Stu

#36 ·
#37 ·
Thanks for your reply

Ok, i kinda thought as much. Ive just checked, i can get them (in ireland) for €50 a pair.

Ive looked in the Haynes manual and it looks straightforward enough to change them, although things ive done in the past have looked straightforward but have presented unforseen pitfalls when doing the job.

Is there anything in particular i need to be wary of when changing the discs?

#38 ·
Would you believe, I've never changed any. I would advise care not to damage the ABS sensor & wiring. Someone who has done the job will be along soon. Or try doing a search, must have been covered before.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.