Independent Renault Forums banner

Laguna II EGR valve removal

64K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  Huguespl 
#1 ·
Going to have a go at cleaning the EGR valve on my 04 reg 2.2 dci as it's started smoking well again and I've had a couple of orange "Fuel Injector Fault" warnings over the last week (which don't seem to affect the running and disappear when I've switched off and started up again). I know there are loads of threads about this but I've still got a question. It seems a few people have had a fair bit of trouble removing the EGR valve. Does it have to be pulled straight out or will it rotate in it's "barrel" - in other words if it won't budge can I tap it gently with a hammer against one of the lugs to rotate it and loosen it. Also is carb cleaner the best thing to use on it once it's out or should I try something like a good injector cleaner?
Thanks

#2 ·
The EGR valve usually gets well carboned up and I have found carb cleaner the easiest to soften it up - seems to work the fastest. As you say gentle taps with a light hammer and punch in a a rotational direction seems to work best. A few taps one direction and then the other and keep applying the carb cleaner. At first it doesn't seem to move but it may require some patience. When reassembling a smear of copper type grease will help removal in the future. Don't be afraid to lash plenty of the cleaner on but on no circumstances attempt to start the engine until you are sure it has all evaporated - it likes adding rocket fuel if it gets into the cylinder:)

#3 ·
Thanks Noel - always the first to respond and great info as normal. First time I've attempted this (supposedly) simple job so needed to make sure. Just need a decent day and the time to do it to coincide, not much chance this time of year with no garage to do it in!! What do you reckon, a couple of hours to do it, or more?
Thanks

#4 ·
I spent closer to 3 hours getting the EGR valve out - I just didn't want to do any damage and had numeropus cups of coffee whilst letting the carb cleaner do its work. Why work when some wee can of chemical can quietly get on with the job - that my motto.:d
Have you found the post and pics for the 1,9Dci engine on the forum.

Also see link below

http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/PG_SI_0085_EN_WEB.pdf

#5 ·
Yes, seen that thanks. Spent many happy hours reading through anything I can find about this, including turning it round so it don't operate! Give that a miss I think. Some good info on here with plenty of pics, a real useful site. Had this car about 9 months and tho it's got full service history I'll make a bet that the egr has never been taken out before or certainly not for a long while and will be a right sod to get out - that's the way my luck goes! Even thought about buying a new one off ebay if I can find one so I can have a clean spare ready next time (and just in case I bugger my old one up while cleaning or it turns out to be faulty). Lot of dosh just before Christmas though.

#6 ·
I used plusgas penetrating oil rather than carb cleaner to loosen it up, and the punch and hammer technique, then carb cleaner to clean it. I swear by plus gas its great stuff. Was out in less than half and hour.

I've also had the orange light on occasion. A dose of redex or posh diesel seems to help.

Cheers!

:d

ps to keep the valve open while you clean it a good tip is to tie a couple of cable ties round the plunger to hold it open :)

#36 ·
Took my EGR valve out yesterday (1.9 Initiale 160K miles). Despite been patient and careful it spit in two. I cleaned the crud from the ports, cleaned the EGR then removed the three joining sleeves before bolting back together with a new washer. Also found a feed wire to the EGR had been chaffed clean through, so stripped in a new piece. Starts and runs fine with the hesitation at 1800 RPM now gone. Happy, now car is ready for trip to Provence with French Sat Nav disc with French TMC working... nice.

Attachments

#13 ·
I bolted it back together minus the hollow dowels/locater sleeves and put it in with a bit of copper grease. I'm planning on replacing it in a few months when its due its next service, hopefully it will come out without too much difficulty.

For the most part I think I;ve solved the power loss/hesitation problem, but it still doesn;t seem to feel 100%. But at least until after Christmas I'm done messing with it.

Cheers ofr all the advice on the forums anyway.

#14 ·
At long last a decent day so decided to remove and clean the EGR. Haynes manual says to disconnect the battery but also says that running will be crap until the ECU re-learns it settings. Decided not to bother and just put a plastic bag over the disconnected plug - bad mistake, attempted to put the socket on the least accessible bolt at the back and sparks flew so decided to put the spanners away (didn't take much persuading, heavy night last night!). Anyone any idea what I may have been shorting across cos I really couldn't see anything. What engine running problems have others had after reconnecting the battery?

#16 ·
:iagree:

I got 3 quarters of the way to removing mine before I gave up as I was running out of time, so I just whipped the EGR out. Doing the throttle damper housing at the same time makes a lot of sense, and you'll get access to the inlet manifold when you take it off.

Hope the sparks didn't cause any damage :eek:

I had what sounds like exactly the same scenario except mine was with a dropped socket. Sparks popped and when I managed to remove it the chrome / vanadium has actually melted in places :rofl:

Thankfully the mottah was fine - I guess if you battery is connected then its all earthed so it should be ok.

I also generally don't disconnect the battery following a sat nav disaster where a jump start nuked the computer. If you do disconnect the battery just be very careful reconnecting with the sidelights on (to prevent spikes) and also only ever disconnect after 5 minutes of switching off the ignition and removing the key to allow the electronics time to chill and relax (less than this and sat navs WILL die).

Cheers!

#17 ·
Thanks for the info boys. Already decided to leave the battery alone as i don't want any more probs - I've got some rubber I can put between the socket and starter terminals so using that and being careful should be fine. May only have time to do just the egr valve, depending on how long it takes to get out and clean as I'm hoping to get it done tonight after work, weather permitting, ready for its mot. Put a 12v test across the terminals and heard nothing so hopefully it's stuck rather than knackered - sure I'll find out when I get it off. *********** quoted £170+dreaded VAT for a new one.

#20 ·
It was a piece of p*!$. Came off really easy, dunno what I was worrying about! Laid a bit of rubber over the starter motor terminals so didn't bother to disconnect battery. EGR valve wasn't very cruddy at all but not sure it was opening properly when I tested it as soon as I got it off - maybe a bit sticky - but was certainly working OK after cleaning (whether it works now it's connected back to the car wiring who knows). Couldn't decide whether or not to take the damper unit off to give it a thorough clean cos it's impossible to see inside it while it's on the car, but with the black clouds looming overhead decided not to risk it so maybe look at that this weekend. Need to go the long way home tonight and give it a bit of welly to give it a clear out but the smoke does seem to have almost gone away or at least isn't so black!! MOT next week so let's see what happens. Got a nearside headlight that doesn't do it's up 'n down adjusting bit now, just stays down. Let's hope that's something cheap and easy to fix - bloody Renaults, who'd have 'em!!

#22 ·
Just got home from work giving it a bit of welly when I could and seems to be completely cured from what I can see in the rain. Bit surprised cos it really didn't seem that bad. Have to check in the headlights of a following car tonight when it's dark just to make sure - thanks for your help everyone.
PS - first thing I tried was air filter, even a quick run around without one in made no difference.

#23 ·
Hi All,

I have just cleaned out my EGR and to be honest I was dreading it but with some TLC the EGR came out without any problems.

Just wanted to ask a question.....if I go back to check the Throttle housing and EGR in about 6k miles should I expect to see oil residue etc... on the intake to the manifold as I just wanted to make sure that this is normal.

Thanks

#24 ·
trottle house on 2.2 dci

Anyone removed the throttle housing on an 04 reg Lag 2.2dci. Cleaned the EGR a while back but the weather was pretty crap so didn't attempt to remove the throttle housing to clean it out. Is it a simple job and are there any holes or bits in there that need cleaning out - can't see inside it when it's in place.
Cheers

#25 ·
yes there are 3 long 13mm bolts that go into the engine block and you cant really see them either.
Its a fiddle but worth doing. I would advise to split it in half too when you get it out, just undo the 4 10mm bolts, and clean it up until its all clean metal inside.

Watch out for the starter motor if you want to leave the battery on. Sparks can fly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.