Independent Renault Forums banner

Clio Auto Gearbox Oil Change

14K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Auto Addict 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever changed the Auto Gearbox oil in a Clio 1.4 RT (1993).

Haynes manual looks a bit complex.

#3 ·
Ok I'll assume that the 93 & 94 are the same and you have the orange topped dipstick at the front LH of the engine.

It's best to put car on axle stands as you need to get under engine.

Once underneath there should be a nut / hex head at the back left of the gearbox, this is the drain plug, remove and collect oil in appropriate container.

Replace plug securely and drop car to level ground

Refill through the dipstick tube, akward to get to but ok using a funnel.

note: allow plenty of time for oil to seep into box and check levels with engine running as the torque converter oly fully fills when spinning.

Oil grade : Dexron type ATF

Total capacity : 5.7 litres.

The haynes manual refers to a 4spd box whereas the early Clios were a 3spd hence the poor instructions.

#6 ·
chris m said:
Let us know how you get on
I will, but it is not one of my immediate jobs, got to re-waxoyl the underbody, brake pipes etc. first.

The gearbox is behaving perfectly, but as far as I can see from service bills, the oil has never been changed, and after 13 years it probably needs changing, although the car has only done 24,000 miles from new.

#7 ·
You won't be able to change all of the oil in the gearbox as some of it stays in the torque converter,but it would be a good idea to change what you can drain out.

Good instructions from Chris,just remember to go up and down through the gears with the car stationary before you check the level,and be carefull not to over fill it.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.