Independent Renault Forums banner

help kangoo speedo fault

30K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  superkev11 
#1 ·
Hi people new to this forum! im looking for some help. I recent purchase a cat c kangoo 1.9 diesel which is now on the road and in working order except for the speedo! I have checked the sensor wiring I have 12v on one wire, a good earth and i checked the signal wire which seems to have continuity between the speed sensor end and the dashboard. I have changed the sensor for a new one, no luck. i tested this with a drill to see if the speedo worked and nothing. I tried the dashboard test but this does not work on these clocks. I then went to a breakers yard where i got a new set of clocks with rev counter which was plug and play. did the dashboard test on this and all the gauges worked but still no speedo. i even tried running a direct feed to by pass the signal wiring still nothing:mad:. i did notice the wire is spurred of from the white connector block near the battery. this goes to what i think is a central locking unit (i assume it has some kind of door locking system when you move off?). the doors dont appear to lock when moving off thought this may be connected. any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I guess fault finding non working speedos was more straightforward in the olden days.
As regards your problem, I always thought these modern cars pick up the speed signal from the ABS computer based on reluctor ring average. Are there any ABS problems perhaps?

#4 ·
In that case there must be a sensor on the gearbox somewhere. Possibly same location as where older gear boxes had a worm gear for the mechanical drive to speedo. I assume there will be a reluctor ring inside gearbox instead of the worm gear and a sensor similar to an ABS wheel speed rotation sensor. Output from ABS rotation sensor is a sine wave. You said you tested using a drill. Does that mean you have found the sensor and turned something with your drill?

#5 ·
i turned the spindle of the speed sensor with the drill but that was outside the gear box. so you are possibly suggesting that there is a relucter in the box which produces the signal so its possible its the drive gear thats not working. ie the drill wont make the unit work out side the gear box. thanks for your help

#6 ·
Does that sensor have a gear on it and can you see a worm gear inside the box. Are all teeth intact? Is worm gear inside gear box fixed on its shaft, i.e. not slipping?

#7 ·
good news ive solved it at last! what had happen was the connector had be bent out when i was testing for conditions so i cut the connector off and took it apart and bent the connector tabs out a bit. now its a nice tight fit and working as required. it looks like these connectors are easily damaged when testing with a meter so be careful. thanks tolsen for your replies regards kev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.