Independent Renault Forums banner

HELP! Megane 225 hub

Tags
225 hub megane
11K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  leehanslip 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the top & bottom bearings in the front wheel hubs can be replaced? Or is it a case of complete new hub?!!

Cheers

#2 ·
Or.....

Another idea someone who's had this problem may have tried, can you strip the hub down completely and give it the best clean possible in order to free up the seizing bearings?

[Yes I could try it and find out, but would be nice to know if I'm wasting my time before hand :d]

Surely with how common a problem this seems to be, someone would have experienced & solved the problem by now?

#4 ·
I believe it's name is the 'hub carrier bearing', it's located at the bottom of the hub [as it is on the car] and allows the hub to swivel in order for the wheel to turn. There is also a bearing at the top of the hub, but as it is the lower one that's carrying the weight it seems to be this one seizing up.

The garage had it all stripped down the other day so they could fit 2 new drive shaft boots, and that's when the problem became conclusive. They advised 2 new carrier hubs and labour would be over £900 all in. That's money I wouldn't pay even if I had it, which I don't! lol

#5 ·
As far as I know the bearings are not available as separate components as they are a press or freeze fit.

Try a google search for Megane Sport - I have seen this problem mentioned in other Renault forums - you may find a solution.

One of the joys of owning a spory car eh!

#6 ·
HaHa! yes it's not exactly ideal!

I found plenty of threads on the 'meganesport' forum relating to this, and you're quite right, the stealers only sell the hub with the bearing ready fitted. I've found a guy who claims to be producing a separate bearing which can be fitted to sort the issue. So there may well be hope yet.

If anyone is interested or wanted to read up on this problem here is the link to what I'm going through:

http://www.meganesport.net/communit...eering-hub-problems....&highlight=hub+bearing

Either way, this will be the last renault I buy!!:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.