Independent Renault Forums banner

Espace 2.2 DCi Cam Belt Change

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Wilmington_ik 
#1 ·
Hi, this is my first post. I reckon my Cam belt is due for renewal since the milage is now 125k and the first change was done at 65k. I have just downloaded the Dialogys manual for £10 which contains lots of fascinatinng stuff but nothing on changing Cam belts. (unless I'm not driving it properly). This either means the job is trivial! or it is an engine out job and will cost more than the vehicle (I wouldn't call the Espace a car) is worth. Being used to Haynes manuals, which they don't do for this model. I don't know where to start. I can't even see the cam cover fasteners!. From what I have read on this fascinating forum, I can buy a kit for around £70 and am best to replace the water pump, run off the cam belt, at the same time. I am fairly competent with a spanner and have changed engines in my youth. Most recently I have changed the clutch hydrylics on the Espace and a broken front spring. I have also fitted a towbar and wired into the towbar auxilliary connector but I will post a different thread on that one.

Regards
Iain

#3 ·
Not much help - Cam belt has now snapped

Further to my post in December, I could not get a straight answer to whether I could change the cam belt myself on a 2.2 dT without taking the engine out. It has now snapped. :( I reckon the car is now scrap. Pity because everything was still working well. I'd love to buy another but all the ones I can afford (about £5k) have done just the right milage to need a belt change. At £1019 quoted, I am not going to risk it. Perhaps I will look at a Galaxy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.