Independent Renault Forums banner

2014 / 15 plan for 1987 Trafic Autosleeper

27K views 150 replies 7 participants last post by  Renoir White 
#1 ·
New Plans

Staying with the trafic its gone this far I would like to see it completed.

Road tax due at the end of July, its just done about 5 miles since January so I intend to sorn it this will depend on my Polo passing its MOT later this week.

Jobs done so far:

New radiator, starter motor, alternator, Clutch plate bearing and pressure plate, sender unit from radiator, gearbox mount, brake servo, rear brake cylinders and shoes, plugs, oil, filter & rocket cover gasket.

Still to do:

Cam belt & tensioner, water pump, fuel pump, Source mount for spare wheel and re fit to nearside rear door, sort hi top cracks, flatten top coat, tidy and apply lacquer coat, wax oil floor and sills

Oh and add a few photos as I go for muuds

#2 ·
Staying with the trafic its gone this far I would like to see it completed.
Good news :d

..will depend on my Polo passing its MOT later this week.
Good Luck :d

Oh and add a few photos as I go for muuds
You really must do more photos :d

#3 ·
Polo failed MOT on front disc pads garage unable to get parts yesterday so had to stay in overnight, It was after 14:00 when I got there, got home thinking Campervan it will have to be in the morning, rang Rosters to see if I could have the day off, went back to Tesco in camper for the 3rd run there since taxing it in January and put £30 of fuel in, got home to find I had been given the day off, Well at least I have tripled my mileage now in it.

I decided that I would devote my day off today to jobs on the camper till I go to pick the polo up.

Got the bonnet to open using the bonnet reliese catch never worked since I had the engine out, I can now hopefully fix the front grill down tight, had the plastic around the steering off and started sorting the wires, fitted a new cigar lighter so I can use my air pump etc then played about with some window tint its for the back doors so when its parked up on its sorn it might stop people looking in, I have put a sew photos (hopefully) below of this plus a couple of work in progress on the re spray.

Attachments

#4 ·
Polo failed MOT on front disc pads
Hopefully thats all? A good result if it is :d

I have put a sew photos (hopefully) below of this plus a couple of work in progress on the re spray.
Well done Eddie, you've got the hang of it now :d The finish on 'Snowball' is looking promising. Good you've been able to get some more jobs done, even small jobs make all the difference. :cool:

Reactions: eddioke
#6 ·
Hey Eddie.

Great to see some pics of Snowball. It is looking good.

I see what you meant with the poles on the upper side skylights now.

Mine has rear window tinting as well, a good idea. I like the colours.

Mudds

Were you still intending to text/email me?

#11 ·
They look rather smart. If you buy them don't forget to make sure they're all pointing the same way when you fit them ;)
Hope it isn't a long winter for snowball. Did you get the Polo done without it hurting the wallet too much?[/QUOTE]

£170 for the disc pads, the test and a new tyre to save an advisory note being put on the pass certificate

#12 ·
£170 for the disc pads, the test and a new tyre to save an advisory note being put on the pass certificate
:eek: That's enough but it don't take much to add up to that kind of price these days. I thought in your locality the garage prices would be cheaper but it seems that is not the case. Hope 'Minty' :d (Polo) doesn't cost you anything else for the year.

#15 ·
Hey Eddie, Photos!! :d:d but what are these photos? Is this your van now or someone else's design you are going to replicate?

No its not mine its a Citron and by the looks of it a bit longer than our, Its to give you an Idea of what I am planning for my van layout i.e. bed in back, center kitchen. The layout at the moment is almost standard Auto sleeper of that era. I dont think I will get the wardrobe area into our size of van to be any usefull size but I might finish the bed / seats with a dividing wall with a curtain in the center to block light flooding into the bedroom. the kitchen unit will be fridge under sink and cupboard under cooker in 1 unit with a bike rack attached to transport the 2 folding shopper bikes I have just bought, on the opposite side where the bed ends will be a porta potty in its own unit finishing where the barn door starts with access to the waste via a cupboard that opens where the barn door opens, seen these in later models.

You should also have a look at this link to the new blog by RF member Andy Martin
http://campervan-conversion.webnode.com/during-1st-conversion-2013/

I will have a look at that later as,as of yet nothing is written in stone other than I intend to strip the van to a bare shell this week weather permitting, I wont be taking photos till its empty as I feel theres no need

I also Hope Mudds reads this too.(no photos of the strip out lol)
Unable to play catch up TV regarding that van conversion on Quest? but have seen a few on Shed, was it an old builders T25 beige which Eddie china actually ended up keeping covered in blue vynal wrap?

#14 · (Edited)
New Plans
Hey Eddie, Photos!! :d:d but what are these photos? Is this your van now or someone else's design you are going to replicate?

You should also have a look at this link to the new blog by RF member Andy Martin .. he's rebuilt his Trafic camper interior twice and the latest result is very impressive. The info in the links is also very helpful.

http://campervan-conversion.webnode.com/during-1st-conversion-2013/

Hope Mudds reads this too.

Reactions: AndyMartin
#16 ·
was it an old builders T25 beige which Eddie china actually ended up keeping covered in blue vynal wrap?
Yes thats the one :d I don't think that project was money wisely spent. I think the graphics would only have limited appeal before becoming outdated plus it looked crap with the exposed beige paintwork of the cab. The bed hinges was the best bit :)

#18 · (Edited)
Hey Eddie, (re aircooled engine) The things we do for mates, eh :crazy:. I think we all look back and wonder why we get talked into these sort of deals :rolleyes: but that what friends are for :d.

You're doing well cracking on with your project.:) I daren't attempt anything like that myself as I'm good at taking things apart but a bit slow (read years :eek:) putting things back together again. I just don't like doing a rush job and want to make sure I'm doing it properly .... well thats my excuse ;)

Keep the photos coming. Its good to see what is going on.

#20 ·
The layout is always a brain stormer!
We looked at thousands on fleabay and at dealers, then sat down and looked at the following:
where we wanted to go?
For how long?
Mains or 12v or both?
What we wanted to take? outdoor stuff etc?
Enough storage, food, clothes, outdoor stuff, room for two canoes inside, van stuff like driveaway tent etc.. all takes up room!
Toilet and access with bed up and down?
Decided on onboard gas bottle, waste and water!
then how could we fit all our answers in the van? lol
Originally left the rock n roll style bed in but felt daft and unsociable sat side by side with elbows bumping together trying to eat?
Meanwhile all that space was wasted behind?
Plus liked the walk through open plan idea and can sit opposite each other with the back doors open and a nice view with room for guests and to stretch out!
Those home built seat units are removable so the back end is empty if we just want a day out with the bikes and one seat or a few bikes or canoes or to move big stuff?
Multifunctional! :d
Looking forward to seeing others great ideas and solutions to suit your needs and trips away!
Andy

#21 ·
The layout is always a brain stormer!

LOL tell me about it

looked at the following:

where we wanted to go?
For how long?
Mains or 12v or both?
What we wanted to take? outdoor stuff etc?
Enough storage, food, clothes,

A very good plan I must do the same before the real work starts

Those home built seat units are removable so the back end is empty if we just want a day out with the bikes and one seat or a few bikes or canoes or to move big stuff?
Multifunctional! :d

Thats a very good idea too. Mind while i was refitting the old Autosleeper units back in after having the sills welded (all removed as a fire precaution) I needed to go on one of its 3 trips to Tesco the wardrobe fell over.:eek:

Looking forward to seeing others great ideas and solutions to suit your needs and trips away!
Andy
Assuming I get the Timing belt done I would like to drive to France next spring for about 10 days, leave the van over there fly back to the UK from Perpignan then Fly out again later on and have a fortnight driving back to the UK in July August, More than likely it`ll end up being yet another fortnight All Inc in Ibiza :d

#26 ·
Hey guys.

You know...stafting to get a bit worried now. You have all completed loads of engine work on your campers. I haven't even changed the oil or HT leads yet ( not for want of trying on the HT leads).
Still, with just returning from our latest and fifth adventure we are keeping our gas foot and clutch foot crossed until it passes the MOT, for any internal engine work...and not a single local supermarket visited..lol.
I may fire The Donkey up once a week and introduce it to a few though..that sounds like a good idea.

Mudds:d

#27 ·
and not a single local supermarket visited..lol.
I may fire The Donkey up once a week and introduce it to a few though..that sounds like a good idea.
Mudds:d
I've stopped using mine for an occasional supermarket trip now as although the van is very compact to fit in the parking spaces it was starting to pick up a few dings in the bodywork:(.

#33 · (Edited)
Trying to use as much out of the old layout as possible I have decided to remove the large seat front O/S to the rear N/S. then turn the folding seat front N/S sideways in such a way that when open (Now towards the sink, cooker & fridge) So it will form the end of the bed.

They say a photos worth a 1,000 words so hopefully I will by the time I post this I will have added some photos: 1st of the empty van, 2nd with carpet fitted. then 3 more giving a rough idea of the above experimental design.

Naturally if it all works out, better (new) materials will be used for the final set up. I could not show the bed end opened out in these photos as it would have exposed a lot of the other work in progress spoiling next months photo shoot lol.

Now where will I fit the zig unit? (any suggestions welcome).

Attachments

#45 ·
:d:d:d
Luckily we don`t need too many solar panels as only to charge the leisure battery and run LED lights and water pump.
1 should do, worked out it will sit on the back on the roof and just need to move the tv arial to one side.
Another project for winter ready for next year. :d

#56 ·
Got that extra 25 cms today the all lot looks a lot better for it (I had failed to allow for 2 sheets of 25cm ply in my origional calculation ) One 25cm for the end of the seat /bed base the other 25cm for the sink / cooker cupboard. (assuming 8 ply is 25cms if not then its by that mount I had to move things around by)

The new water pump I ordered over the weekend arrived today too , I am still looking for a cam belt tensioner then I can crack on with the new cambelt, hopefully before the cold air sets in. Even if it means I leave the habitation till the winter months because inside the van is cosey enough

#57 ·
Got that extra 25 cms today the all lot looks a lot better for it (I had failed to allow for 2 sheets of 25cm ply in my origional calculation ) One 25cm for the end of the seat /bed base the other 25cm for the sink / cooker cupboard. (assuming 8 ply is 25cms if not then its by that mount I had to move things around by)
8-ply :eek: That's going to be a nice solid bit of construction you're doing. Built to last :d
Oh, you was talking 2+1/2cm and not 25cm. Did I miss the point? ;) (decimal). It much better when you've smaller measurements to jiggle about

The new water pump I ordered over the weekend arrived today too , I am still looking for a cam belt tensioner
Here you go. I've used this supplier 3 times for other bits and they've been excellent

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/tim...flatbed-chassis-pxx-1-7-68hp_v13946_g308.html

#61 ·
Good to see regular photos now Eddie. Helps to see whats where and how its coming together. Have decided to keep the original fridge (looks the same as mine) instead of the 'egg' cool box?. If you are, will you connect up to the gas again or just use it on electric?

#62 ·
Good to see regular photos now Eddie. Helps to see whats where and how its coming together. Have decided to keep the original fridge (looks the same as mine) instead of the 'egg' cool box?. If you are, will you connect up to the gas again or just use it on electric?
For the forseable future just mains possibly 12v but gas would probebly be a No No but not a never (always been told never say never).

I hope to get more photos now I know how to use the 2nd hand Samsung choccy bar S2 mind last few threads I posted was done on it mostly sobber I add but got that I had, had one too many feeling with it all the same

#63 · (Edited)
Well done Eddie.

The blinds i made work a treat. The suction cups keep them up brill. Makes the inside of the van look enormous compared to when we had to have the curtaind hanging in front of the dash.

That camper LD found looks long..plenty of room in that I bet. Time to price up a citroen relay van I think..(or similar).

Mudds.

#64 ·
Well done Eddie.

The blinds i made work a treat. The suction cups keep them up brill. Makes the inside of the van look enormous compared to when we had to have the curtaind hanging in front of the dash.
You'll have to start manufacturing them :d

That camper LD found looks long..plenty of room in that I bet. Time to price up a citroen relay van I think..(or similar).
I've always wanted a Fiat Amigo ... less is more ;)
The Citroens seem a good base vehicle.

Mudds.

#65 ·
Hi Guys
Vans are all looking good!:d
Had a manic few weeks! and ready for a break! :crazy:
Scotland at weekend for a week! :d
Be sure to pack our passports, kilts and I Love Scotland stickers! :d
Will snap some pics of the van out and about and look forward to catching up when we get back!
Have Fun Chaps!
Andy :d

#70 ·
Its been well over a month since Snowball has been fired up, infact its well over a fortnight since a door has been opened, Yesterday I was home alone and decided to venture in, Battry flat but after half an hour charge it turned the engine, after about 3 or 4 turns Snowball sprang into life, I thought to myself while my luck is in I will have a couple of hours work, I tried and fitted the wall cupboards that used to sit above the cooker in the back to their new site behind the drivers seat, Very happy with the looks of them. Later on I might have another go at fitting the fridge & its vent. :cool:

#72 ·
Me & Snowball (or should that be Snowball & I) :confused: had a good day yesterday between the showers, The main job one I had put off as long as I could was to drill through the side of the van for the fridge exhaust, just needs a bead of silicon on the outside and some waxoil on the inside of the panel to finish as a fresh coat of paint has already been applied round the hole. Today I need to re wire the fridge, re fit the sink / cooker / water & waste.:cool:

#73 ·
Me & Snowball (or should that be Snowball & I) :confused: had a good day yesterday between the showers, .....
You've had a good educashun Eddie an' taught proper :d At this time of year with the autumn/winter its a case of snatching the working opportunities when you can. Guess the weather is a bit more of a hinderance for you in the NW. Keep at it :)

#74 ·
Been a good week nothing worth a photo though as its a little bit of this and a little bit of that plus of course the odd 2 or 3 changes to my plans:

1) I have got the mains supply fuse box re located to where I had planned.

2) I have fitted a 6" strip of ply to where the 2 cupboards were fitted (between the rear door n/s and the barn door with the Zig unit mounted un wired)

3) Made a start on the 12 volts and mains wires to the fridge.

I am also thinking, after a failed experiment of fitting a gas supply to fridge via one of them gas cartridges from a single burner cooker.

The failed experiment was when I took one of these to bits to convert a mini kettle drum barbeque from charcoal to gas / lava rock, Even after I had cut the shank at the bottom of the burner down as low as I could get away with the flame would still be able to reach the food.

I am thinking the gas carrage regulator and safty lock mechanism fitted to the side of the cupoard / behind the drivers seat would allow me to use a cartridge of gas ? when parked up, instead of draining the (yet non existing) Leasure battery.again assuming I can get some 4mm microbore and a 4mm to 8mm connector to connect it all together

Tomorrow I hope to complete the re wiring of the Zig unit and the fridge plus the gas supply to the cooker assuming of course I can find my tub of Boss Red joining paste.:devil:

#75 ·
I am also thinking, after a failed experiment of fitting a gas supply to fridge via one of them gas cartridges from a single burner cooker.
:confused: Sounds a rather bold plan to me. I've no idea what the gas consumption rate is for a fridge. Also won't the gas pressure be different? I know those gas cannisters (aerosol can type) do give quite a long burn time for their size.
I think I'll tackle my fridge in the spring...I know the flue is missing but hopefully the rest fo the gas parts are still in situ.
Let us know if your conversion works out.

#78 · (Edited)
Been Mild here RW, even had a barbeque the other day sometimes overcast but no wind. I have been off for the last 10 or so days lue day week gone Thursday, long weekend last weekend, then Wednesday Thusday & Friday, just started back today. My problem is most of it was during the Half term school holidays we watch our Grand daughter when shes off school so didnt get a lot done on Snowball, well not so much as it would have been worth taking photos of, more fastening down than altering the new layout, started to fit the zig unit in its new location and found a fault. I had labled where all the wires come from ect, etc. it was while I was re fitting and testing these with a 12v screwdriver that the relay fitted on the back of the zig started clicking / buzzing when I made a Circuit of the 12v supply to the fridge looks like a new ones needed. I am also thinking of fitting an on / off switch to the power supply from the van battery (No lesure battery fitted as yet) as its been suppling the zig even though theres no fuse in the one that would have been attached to the lesure battery had one been fitted, This I am assuming is where i am loosing the power off the main van battery, & Heres me blaming that poor little red diode on the radio lol.

I dont like that blue strip I have on the vans waste band (muuds wood band area) So I have ordered (and recived) a roll of Brushed aluminium vynal wrap it does look a lot better (when held in place) any tips on cutting / fitting it?

Almost forgot: As the fridge is now opposite the origionla location to where it was when I bought the van I am thinking of a short cut by which i use the live wire to the piz sparker for the gas ignition, then then negative wire to the 12v live of the fridge naturaly I will have to attach it to the proper spade on the Zig instead of the nuteral leggo block conector, I will then fit that leggo block to the the water pump negative wire. This is all 30amp cables and will be in line fused. this will save a lot of work wires needing installed.

#79 ·
Been Mild here RW,
Hi Eddie
:confused: I think you folks up in the NW are very hardy (I got a paparazzi to snap a photo of you :d).

....that the relay fitted on the back of the zig started clicking / buzzing...looks like a new ones needed.
You must have a similar Zig to Mudds. What model No is on the faceplate? Mine is a basic CP400 and doesn't have relays.

I am also thinking of fitting an on / off switch to the power supply from the van battery
Doesn't the master switch on the Zig do this? or do you mean fitting a safety isolator switch on the battery?

...Brushed aluminium vynal wrap it does look a lot better (when held in place) any tips on cutting / fitting it?
Coup is probably the best guy to give tips on working with this stuff. I'll see if I can draw his attention to this.

Almost forgot: As the fridge is now opposite the origionla location..... This is all 30amp cables and will be in line fused. this will save a lot of work wires needing installed.
Its hard to follow your wiring plan especially as I havn't seen behind my fridge yet but any reduction in wiring runs is a good thing to do.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.