Independent Renault Forums banner

Kangoo 200 W Reg Front Brake Pads removal

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  The Equalizer 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all

After doing an extensive search on the forum, & finding nothing specific.
I wonder if you can help.

The front brakes sound & feel as though they are grinding when braking, so i thought I would check and replace the front pads.

However, whilst looking at the Caliper after getting the wheel off, I can only see the Lower bolt, which seems to be a 13mm, but when trying to undo it using a 13mm socket it seems a tiny bit too big as the socket rounds the edges.
A 12mm is definately too small & a 1/2" is also too small. Thats the first problem.
I might try an adjustable.

Anyway, how does the upper bolt undo?
Is it sandwiched in between the rubber & the caliper.
Anyone got any pics please?

Its a Kangoo Van 2000, W reg. Diesel. Blue.

Thanks
E

See less See more
#2 ·
I doubt very much of a shifting spanner will do the job. You could try hammering the half-inch socket on. The shifter will only catch two corners of the bolt whereas a socket will catch six.

Once the bolt is undone the caliper should swing upwards allowing the pads to be changed and also allow you to retract the caliper piston.:)

#3 ·
If i remember right you need a ring spanner or socket on the outside and an open ended spanner slide between the carrier and the caliper. The open ended spanner stops the slider pin rotating while you undo the bolt. Both upper and lower bolts are the same just make sure the ring spanner is a good fit. Its good practice to replace these bolts and you can get them from most decent motor factors, they will have thread lock already on them. And if its making a grinding noise the disc is probably heavily scored so its cheap to replace pads and discs. Ps check condition of the guide pins rubber bellows and put some coppaslip on the pins before refitting. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Hey Thomas

Thanks for the reply, but it appears that it is different to your description.
I sorted it about an hour ago by doing the following.

There is only 1 bolt that needs to be undone, its the lower one. It undoes with 1/2" socket.
Then lifting the top of the caliper, pivoting it if you like, enough to fit a screwdriver or some other tool to push the piston back.
Once the piston is pushed back, the top of the caliper will lift up to reveal the Brake pads.
The top of the caliper eased off completely as the other bolt is not so much a bolt but a greased sliding pin.
So i cleaned up the caliper with a wire brush replaced the pads, with a touch of Copper grease on the back of the pads and job done.

Hope this helps someone else and that I did it correctly.

Regards

E

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.