Independent Renault Forums banner

renault traffic starting problems

37K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  jesswarner1 
#1 ·
2006 1.9 dci 100 bhp

first thing in morning you have to turn aand turn before she fires up

starts and runs ok while warm

leave for a while hard to start again

so decided to get computer on it no warning lights showing up but getting code p0032

ho2s heater control circuit high bank 1 sensor 1

this is what computer is saying

any ideas

#3 ·
only bought this van and went to look at it and everything was fine drove it 150 miles home now the thing wont start from cold couldnt get it to start at all today removed and tested glow plug and there working fine so i dont know where to go from here as i bought this bigger van for my business now i feel as if i was poked guy who sold me van not answering phone or nothing

so any help what to check next wud be great thanks

#7 ·
What's the mileage? Mega-miles could mean low compression ratio. It's OK once started as there is enough compression once the cylinders are wet and running. Test - get the engine cyls compression tested. The test will be done cold, not running, so low compressions will be easy to spot.

Are there any loose fuel hoses? Take a look for any weeping joints - if there is any such seepage (but, even, if you don't see any) it may mean you may be getting air drawn into the fuel lines. This would cause poor starting. A common fault on some models of vehicle, I had a Vauxhall that did this all the time, but not too badly and would start up after several cranks when cold. Got rid of it in the end, but it was never so bad that I could be bothered to fix it. I can't say if yours is a model that suffers this, but it might be as simple as needing a fuel-line fitting or seal renewing.

#9 · (Edited)
Heres an update guys charged battery fully and first turn of key she fires up so im guessing not heater plug related so i took alook underneath it to find that the earth strap is stinking i could pull it apart very easy do you think this could be causing the problem thx guys

if it doesnt start in morning
i'll try it with a jump lead from gearbox to earth of battery to see what happens

ANOTHER THING FORGOT TO MENTION NOW THAT ITS FIRING UP SHE STILL TAKES A FEW MINUTES BEFORE SHE STARTS AS IF THE FUEL JUST NOT GETTING TO IT QUICK ENOUGH

#18 ·
Heres an update guys charged battery fully and first turn of key she fires up so im guessing not heater plug related so i took alook underneath it to find that the earth strap is stinking i could pull it apart very easy do you think this could be causing the problem thx guys

if it doesnt start in morning
i'll try it with a jump lead from gearbox to earth of battery to see what happens

ANOTHER THING FORGOT TO MENTION NOW THAT ITS FIRING UP SHE STILL TAKES A FEW MINUTES BEFORE SHE STARTS AS IF THE FUEL JUST NOT GETTING TO IT QUICK ENOUGH
If the Earth Strap is in Poor Condition or making a bad Connection this could well be your Problem.As you say connecting your Jump-Lead from the Negative Terminal on the Battery directly to the Engine should Prove this out provided they are Heavy-Duty Leads.

#14 ·
Sorry. I've no idea if there is a method to actually detect where there may be air entering. That's why I never bothered to trace it on my Vauxhall. Is there a one-way valve on the fuel feed on these? The Vauxhall had one, which was changed as a matter of course, but it still carried on being a sluggish-starter. I seem to recall the fault can also happen on the high pressure side of the pump too on the Vauxhall which involves investigating the injectors. Maybe that's why I didn't bother to investigate further. Memory's not what it used to be... It was a few years back now.

It wasn't a big issue. I just made sure the battery was sound to keep cranking for a while, and kept cranking. It never failed to start, but on occasions it was a good 30 sec or more of cranking (10 sec at a time, best not to overheat the starter). Sorry, that's about as much help as I can be!...

#20 ·
i honestly think myself that its a fuel issue because of poor revving i have 4 other renaults in my yard and they all rev up to 5000 revs it just seems to me as if the trafic engine isnt getting enough fuel started it earlier there and it took ages for it to fire up and wen it did fire up it wouldnt rev up by 2000 revs and then all of a sudden jumps to 4000 revs just seems to me like not enough fuel getting threw

maybe i'm wrong

#24 ·
Well if you're convinced its feul starvation its either something tripping ECU or something mechanically wrong.

Have you tried all the generic fixes to do with bad starts? Clean EGR, change TDC sensor. Etc etc?

Leaking feul - if large amount wouldn't let car start and car would cut out. Small amount would cause hesitation especially pulling away, perhaps cut out. All these syptoms would be 'spluttery' rather than 'crisp' problems. So if they are as they sound - clear/crisp cut offs it points to ECU surely?
Perhaps as its such a strange problem its worth having a proper diagnostic ran on it? - could spend a lot of time and cash trying to fix something that could have been trivial.. personal opinion

#25 · (Edited)
well if you're convinced its feul starvation its either something tripping ecu or something mechanically wrong.

Have you tried all the generic fixes to do with bad starts? Clean egr, change tdc sensor. Etc etc?

Leaking feul - if large amount wouldn't let car start and car would cut out. Small amount would cause hesitation especially pulling away, perhaps cut out. All these syptoms would be 'spluttery' rather than 'crisp' problems. So if they are as they sound - clear/crisp cut offs it points to ecu surely?
Perhaps as its such a strange problem its worth having a proper diagnostic ran on it? - could spend a lot of time and cash trying to fix something that could have been trivial.. Personal opinion
cleaned out egr valve today wasnt that bad no fuel leaks havnt tried cam sensor or crank sensor other than checking connection van drives 100% once going but if you rev it out threw gears it seems to hold back once to get to 4000rpm its like a cut off point limiter rather than that it drives fine

ALSO HAD A DIAGNOSTIC DONE AND COMPUTER WAS SAYING O2 SENSOR AND THERE IS NO O2 SENSOR ON THE VAN BUT THIS IS PROBABLY DOWN TO IT NOT BEING DONE BY RENAULT SOFTWARE

#27 ·
Had all sorts of problems with my van, changed crank and cam sensor,cheap to change,no different, fuel pressure sensor (expensive to replace,) found a S/H rail with sensor on it, no different, used to poor start and was fine on Easy Start, turned out to be low fuel pressure, was the injectors leaking back giving low fuel pressure on the injector rail, fitted S/H injectors and all good, BUT my van will not rev over 3800, happy with that as i donot want to over rev all the time, still cruise at 90, with weight in it, And has you van had cambelt done ? ?

#28 ·
had all sorts of problems with my van, changed crank and cam sensor,cheap to change,no different, fuel pressure sensor (expensive to replace,) found a s/h rail with sensor on it, no different, used to poor start and was fine on easy start, turned out to be low fuel pressure, was the injectors leaking back giving low fuel pressure on the injector rail, fitted s/h injectors and all good, but my van will not rev over 3800, happy with that as i donot want to over rev all the time, still cruise at 90, with weight in it, and has you van had cambelt done ? ?
cambelt done at 70k AND 78K ON CLOCK NOW

#30 ·
I don't think my Scenic 1.9 dTi revs that high. I'd not bother to try, either.... Can't see why the poor start is related to revs.

Of course, you are probably going off the rev counter rather than a calibrated tachograph. Nothing to say how accurate a dash-board tacho is, is there? I'd forget about reving the **** off a diesel and focus on the starting issue.

I'd change the fuel filter as a matter of course, and along with it change out all of the o-rings you come across in that job - and any more you could change easy with the filter drained and off. If that does nothing, so long as it starts, even if it takes a while, I'd forget about it. Bigger things to worry about than spending an extra 5 seconds a day cranking your engine in the morning.....

If it takes, even, an extra 10 seconds a day then you've probably spent more time writing into this thread than you'll take in 5 years of cranking for an extra 10 seconds a day!!!....

#31 ·
i don't think my scenic 1.9 dti revs that high. I'd not bother to try, either.... Can't see why the poor start is related to revs.

Of course, you are probably going off the rev counter rather than a calibrated tachograph. Nothing to say how accurate a dash-board tacho is, is there? I'd forget about reving the **** off a diesel and focus on the starting issue.

I'd change the fuel filter as a matter of course, and along with it change out all of the o-rings you come across in that job - and any more you could change easy with the filter drained and off. If that does nothing, so long as it starts, even if it takes a while, i'd forget about it. Bigger things to worry about than spending an extra 5 seconds a day cranking your engine in the morning.....

If it takes, even, an extra 10 seconds a day then you've probably spent more time writing into this thread than you'll take in 5 years of cranking for an extra 10 seconds a day!!!....
when i unplug the maf sensor doesnt seem to make any difference

#34 ·
Changed fuel filter today at 5pm no filings in filter housing everything seemed ok filter didnt look that bad but put new one in along with 2 rubber seals left van sitting to 10pm tonite first turn of key away it goes not know till morning if this has sorted it or not

#35 ·
changed fuel filter today at 5pm no filings in filter housing everything seemed ok filter didnt look that bad but put new one in along with 2 rubber seals left van sitting to 10pm tonite first turn of key away it goes not know till morning if this has sorted it or not
another update van started first clip this morning but not geting my hopes up yet still thinking would the bad earth strap be affectting some electrical components because is harder to start when its wet weahter

#36 ·
There's no way an earth strap from the battery is going to consistently carry 700A of cranking current, but fail to provide a sufficient electrical connection for lower current loads. You'd have noticed that already by poor cranking. If it is mechanically weak, that is another matter, but intermittentcy would be greater when driving, rather than when stationary.

Whether there is a bad earth connection to a computer is another matter.

Still sticking to my original diagnosis - simple air entrainment, which, with hope, was only from a filter seal which you've now fixed. Actually, that's a pretty lucky outcome that it is a service item anyhow.

#37 ·
there's no way an earth strap from the battery is going to consistently carry 700a of cranking current, but fail to provide a sufficient electrical connection for lower current loads. You'd have noticed that already by poor cranking. If it is mechanically weak, that is another matter, but intermittentcy would be greater when driving, rather than when stationary.

Whether there is a bad earth connection to a computer is another matter.

Still sticking to my original diagnosis - simple air entrainment, which, with hope, was only from a filter seal which you've now fixed. Actually, that's a pretty lucky outcome that it is a service item anyhow.

damp old day here today went out to start nearly run battery flat before it cranked up another thing i have noticed that the glow plug light goes out straight away and as for the revving i have noticed when idle if you rev it to 4000rpm and when you dip the clutch it cuts down to 2500 revs definately something not right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.