Independent Renault Forums banner

Scenic 1.9 dCi Starting problem

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rjk1188 
#1 ·
My X reg scenic has developed a starting problem that resembvles the same symptoms as if the TDC sensor is faulty however my mate took this off and it was clean and was only replaced about 8 months ago.
He then sprayed some easy start in whilst I turned the engine over and everything fired ok but still wouldnt run. We had to then give up as it was getting dark last night and in frustration I slammed the bonnet. I tried once more and the engine fired up and ran no problem. This morning it fired briefly and then nothing and so i slammed the bonnet closed again and it fired on first turn of the key!
Once started it runs fine but on occasion it leaves 2 red lights on the dash - battery and something else. When I rev the engine they go out and stay out so not sure what that is. We have tested the battery etc and its all fine and we are getting 13+ volts.
Please help as I am at my wits end and need the car for work every day.
Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Well the sensor hasnt seemed to be a problem, i went out at lunchtime to start the car and it fired up fine. It may now go for a while without a glitch then suddenly it wont start again. The only thing I can say is the symptoms are the same as when that sensor was faulty. Is there anything else that it could be?

#4 ·
Well after a few days of driving without a problem whilst driving downb a dual carriageway the orange light came on and the car lost all power. I turned the car off and on while rolling down the road and it fired up and I managed to limp home. I later went out again but it died again. After a while it restarted but again died on me. Whatever it is seems to be very random. The wires have not been replaced from the loom to TDC sensor so maybe thats what it is perhaps. CAn anyone think of anything else?
If I call the RAC will they be able to diagnose on the roadside?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.