Independent Renault Forums banner

2.0 16v Megane II (2002) - Strange engine issue

5K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  dave_mezza2006 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I recently bought a 2002 Megane (2.0 16v petrol), and something slightly odd seems to be happening with it.

I'll say first of all that this issue doesn't affect the car or the performance in any way, it's merely just something I can hear - sometimes.

Occasionally, there is a slightly 'diesel-ish' noise when I drive the car. Sometimes it's there from the off, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it happens after driving for 20 minutes or so.

The car seems to respond the same as it normally does, it just sounds a little more 'gritty' than usual, like a diesel perhaps but not nearly as loud. The noise also increases if I rev the car.

I've been reading about the dephaser pulley issue but I really don't think it's that. It doesn't always occur and it certainly doesn't sound anything like the examples I've heard on YouTube.

I don't really know much (read: anything) about engines, so any help will be appreciated!

Your thoughts chaps?

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have the IDE engine or a VVT engine ? It will say on the engine cover.

I had the IDE in the Lag II I had and that did have a diesel like knock about it especially when hoofing it. I was told it was due to the direct injection used on that engine, which is the same as used in the DCI engines.

#3 ·
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.

I haven't had a chance to look at the engine yet, it just says the usual Renault 2.0l 16v stuff on it (the cover is silver) from looking previously. I assume there's a sticker or badge somewhere detailing the engine specifics? I'll have a look later on, the cover needs a wipe!

Interestingly, I think I've found the problem. I had the climate control on auto, if I press the AC button and disable auto, the noise stops... :eek:

How strange! If I turn it back on to auto, it starts again.

What do you think is causing this? I assume it's related to the intake system (or whatever the correct term is)?

I'm quite relieved as I'm always weary of the engine itself being at fault, I'd hate to break down. Thankfully with auto disabled the car is running sweet as a nut.

Thanks again!

#5 ·
Might not be the ide engine then (thank your lucky stars), but rather the vvt engine. Could then be a dephaser issue, which is a common problem with those engines. Strange it only does it with the air con on though. I suppose it could be a air con compressor / pump issue.

#9 ·
If the air con pulley was to seize, then that would snap / throw the auxillary belt, which could get into the timing belt cover (its happened before) and cause the timing belt to jump - then your looking at bent valves.

Of course thats worse case scenario.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.