Independent Renault Forums banner

Clio 2 airbag ecu fault, need wiring diagram

16K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ktm-mad 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have bought a clio 2003 1.6 dynamique last week and it has some faults.

One of which is the usual airbag serv light illuminated on the dash which i was told had just appeared after the battery had gone flat... i thought it would be the simple wiggle of the connectors under the seat but it looks as though someone has beaten me to it and hard wired them, one wire appeared broken so i re soldered it and thought that would do the job but no.. light is still on, so i have had it plugged into various diagnostic machines and for some reason it will not connect to the airbag ecu but it will connect to engine management etc, has any one heard of this problem before.

I then removed the airbag ecu and found the words "reset" written on the back so either it hasn't been done properly and someone has killed it or there's some broken wires in the loom due to the crash possibly?

I have sent the ecu off to be reset/replaced but in the mean time i would like to check the wiring under the seat is correct does anyone have a wiring diagram? It appears to have been cut further down the loom under the seat as well for some reason which just confuses things :confused:

Also is there anything else i should check before the ecu comes back, as far as i can see the front seat belt pretensioners have bot retracted, but i wouldn't be surprised if possible they have just been unwound again to look as if they haven't fired, is there any way of checking? Also the rear seat belts seem to work fine but could these have triggered also?

Sorry for the long post and if you read this far thanks :guinness:

Best regards

Aaron

See less See more
#2 ·
Are there actually any air-bags in the car. I have seen covers replaced - the used air-bags being cut out and dumped but anyone so devious usally breaks the warning bulb in the dash. Plus once the air-bag actuator has been triggered a fault will be stored in the ECU.

Obviously the car has not been repaired in acordance with stanard repair procedures - just hope your insurers don't find out.
In the interest of safety and insurance I would urge you to have the system checked by compatible diagnostic equipment. As Renault use a different protocol in their systems not all code readers, etc are suitable.:)

#3 ·
Hi Noel,

All the airbag areas seem to be fine, no signs of them having gone off although the passenger seat is very difficult to move back and forth on its track, if I slacken the seat runners it frees up so that could be due to the side airbag being deployed or maybe I'm just being pessimistic, is there any other common problems this could be?

I hear what you are saying about the safety aspect and i agree, as soon as i get the ecu back i will take it to Renault for them to check as i have a friend who works on the parts sales, i would just like to check the wiring and as much as i can before hand.

Cheers

#4 ·
**FIXED**

I sent the airbag ecu off to be 'reset' by a guy on ebay, i phoned him before and told him that it had been reset before and was not connecting to computer dianostics etc, anyway he has sent out a tested replacement all for £20.

Plugged the new ecu in and the airbag light was still showing but not instantly this time so i gathered the new ecu was working then finding a fault somewhere in the system so turned it all off wiggled some wires, last one i checked was the connector going in to the top of the seatbelt pretensior and hey presto!

Spent many hours sorting this out so i hope it helps others in future!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.