Independent Renault Forums banner

wiper blade problems

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  mrtotty 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 2004 Scenic II. Been having problems with the wiper blades dragging and juddering accross the screen. Replaced the blades with new Valeo ones, cleaned the windscreen, but occasionally they still judder.

I have removed the arms and reseated them and tightened all the linkage nuts. I have tried bending the arms in and out, but nothing seems to cure it sufficently.

Anyone had similar problems or have any ideas on where to go next. I think there maybe something in bending the arms slightly, but not sure how far out or in to do it, as what i have tried so far hasnt worked.

Thanks

#3 ·
Quite a common problem on the Scenic II.

Check all the linkages do not have excessive play and all move freely a light lubrication of all joints/links/springs can also help.

After cleaning the glass/wiper blades I always give the rubbers a run over with a paencil a light coating of graphite the thick builders pencils are best for this.

I have noticed some Scenic II screens seem to have a bump just in front of the drivers wiper sweep area.

#5 ·
Premature wear of the drivers side wiper arm bushings is a common problem on the Scenic II (mine has only 32000 miles).
The design was improved in 2005.
I have bent the wiper arm on mine quite significantly to overcome the problem in the short-term.
The only long term solution appears to be a replacement set from Renault at £90 or from a breakers unless anyone out there know of an aftermarket option?

#6 ·
I know this thread is old but having similar problems too after replacing worn Renault wipers with cheapo blades I noticed them squeaking on driver's side only when the screen is wet mainly. Tried turning arm a little to no avail. Then bought Renault ones but these still make an annoying squawk when starting to wipe on driver's side - again when screen is wet. Am going crazy trying to remove the noise.

Driver's arm bearings look ok but the wipers do judder on when returning down and sounds like they are dragging heavily when dry with the other cheapo and older Renault ones. The driver's arm was replaced under warranty years ago and probably has around 30k or so on it.

Was thinking about changing push rods with some from wipex for £37 but not sure it that will fix anything. Just for info, have had problems of driver's side wiper hitting bonnet (at high speed wipe and raining) and had to adjust the wiper back a little but sometimes the passenger one knocks the driver wiper.

Any ideas?

#8 ·
No didn't say the cheap wipers were cr*p - the driver's side only was squeaking - passenger side was ok. The Renault wiper (new) on passenger side making noise too but old Renault one didn't. The design has changed a little on the new Renault ones. The old Renault ones didn't do it (only changed due to top edge splitting).

Trying to find the cheapest way to resolving this problem without having a trail of parts. :d

Glass cleaner used has been the usual Nil glass but does that alone cause judder when glass is wet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.